AHC: Non-East-Asian Japanese Colonies

With a PoD of not earlier than January 1, 1900, create a colony for the Empire of Japan that it outside of East Asia. That is, the colony cannot be Taiwan, Korea, in China, Vietnam, or the Pacific Mandates. Bonus points if it is outside of Asia at all (e.g. Japanese Madagascar). The only rule is that it should be plausible, so no Axis Victory Worlds, please.:)

Have fun!

Maybe something like this; no Entente Cordiale. World War I breaks out similarly to OTL, but France instead of Germany violates Belgian neutrality first, and ultimately the main powers are the Entente of France, Italy, Russia, and Turkey and the Central Powers of Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. While forced itself to defend it's metropole against the Russians, Japan also plays a pivotal role in the Pacific and Indian Ocean theaters. After the war, an equivalent to the League of Nations is set up, and in the horse trading of French colonies after the war, Japan is ultimately made the mandatory power over some of France's Indian Ocean islands colonies; Comoros, Madagascar, Réunion Island, or some combination of the above. Madagascar seems like a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.

Well, you have to think about where East Asia ends. The South Pacific Mandate was in Oceania, not Asia. They also invaded New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, and Kiska and Attu are technically North America.

Maybe something like this; no Entente Cordiale. World War I breaks out similarly to OTL, but France instead of Germany violates Belgian neutrality first, and ultimately the main powers are the Entente of France, Italy, Russia, and Turkey and the Central Powers of Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. While forced itself to defend it's metropole against the Russians, Japan also plays a pivotal role in the Pacific and Indian Ocean theaters. After the war, an equivalent to the League of Nations is set up, and in the horse trading of French colonies after the war, Japan is ultimately made the mandatory power over some of France's Indian Ocean islands colonies; Comoros, Madagascar, Réunion Island, or some combination of the above. Madagascar seems like a bit of a stretch in my opinion though.
This fits the criteria well, good job. Given that Japan in OTL's WW1 sent some naval assets to the Med, the Indian Ocean should not be a stretch. I could see Japan ending up with tiny Indian Ocean islands as a result. Even though those colonies would be tiny, their mere existence would justify continuous Japanese naval patrols in the western Indian Ocean. Some interesting butterflies there...

Well, you have to think about where East Asia ends. The South Pacific Mandate was in Oceania, not Asia. They also invaded New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, and Kiska and Attu are technically North America.
The difference between "Asia" and "Oceania" is largely subjective, really. At any rate, although your WWII examples are good, I was hoping for actual Japanese colonization. The conquest of those territories would be short-term in any non-ASB war, I fear.