This is probably a highly unlikely scenario, but I'm curious to see what comes up. Starting around the 1900s or some time after, the challenge is this: What series of events would need to occur such that fossil fuel use has been significantly, if not entirely, phased out, at least in America if globally is unfeasible. Several alternatives had already emerged, such as the selenium solar cell being invented in 1876, the world's first hydroelectric plant appearing in 1882, the first wind powered generator developed in 1888, and the first geothermal plant built in 1892. Technically speaking, the technology for alternative energy sources had already emerged as early as the 1870s. Additionally, the connection between fossil fuels and climate change had scientists concerned as early as the 1860s, so the phenomena was already understood by then. However, the biggest issue I can see is that Rockefeller and several other oil barons had already created a massively profitable monopoly on oil and coal, as well as the fact that fossil fuels have already become the number one fuel source by the time the 20th century rolls around, which I suppose is where the challenge lies. Would it be possible for a fossil fuel oriented society to forgo fossil fuels by around or some time after the beginning of the 21st century?

Riain

Banned
The biggest hurdle with be the immense portability and energy density of fossil fuels for the transport sector. Have a look at the thread on car culture to see the issues with only cars, not including trucks, tractors, forklifts and everything else.

Then there's the military applications, fossil fuels give immense battlefield advantages that are almost impossible to give up.

The fact of the matter is that fossil fuels are fantastic, they can do so much.

ASB even if you somehow have energy crises being taken more seriously in the 70s/and a big combo push of mass nuclear, electric vehicles and renewables. Why? It takes time to build up power infrastructure, also very expensive to both replace and expand on it.

Read Vaclav smil's stuff on it. We've gone from about 90% dependent on fossil fuels in 2000 to around either 83% or 85%, I forget which in the past generation and this is with extensive funding. Maybe if you move it to say 1990, you could get it below 80% for dependence on fossil fuels in 2023. Have nuclear power be credible/expanded on, combined with say a generation-long effort to reorient the developed world awast from it in the 70s and you could get it to 55-60% by now.