The POD is Humphrey decides to actively contest the 1972 Democratic presidential primaries from the beginning and he ultimately wins the nomination. After picking his running mate at the convention, Humphrey faces President Richard Nixon a second time in the general election. Who might Humphrey pick as his running mate, and what would be the outcome of the race? Does Watergate still occur?

The POD is Humphrey decides to actively contest the 1972 Democratic presidential primaries from the beginning and he ultimately wins the nomination. After picking his running mate at the convention, Humphrey faces President Richard Nixon a second time in the general election. Who might Humphrey pick as his running mate, and what would be the outcome of the race? Does Watergate still occur?
Some potential candidates Humphrey could pick for Vice President are:
  • OTL's Sargent Shriver
  • Ted Kennedy (most sought after, more likely than not declines vehemently)
  • Mike Gravel
  • Abraham A. Ribicoff
  • Reubin Askew
  • Frank Church
  • Peter Rodino
I think Humphrey loses as bad, if not worse than George McGovern. 1968 would still be fresh in the memories of the voters, and age would be held against him, despite being only two years older than Nixon. Nixon's approval ratings also hadn't slipped far enough to make a rematch seem necessary.

Watergate occurring is 50/50. On the one hand, Nixon is familiar with Humphrey as opponent; on the other hand, Nixon is determined to win. I say it leans toward not.

Last edited:
  • OTL's Sargent Shriver
  • Mike Gravel
  • Abraham A. Ribicoff
  • Reubin Askew
  • Frank Church
  • Peter Rodino
I think Humphrey loses as bad, if not worse than George McGovern. 1968 would still be fresh in the memories of the voters, and age would be held against him, despite being only two years older than Nixon. Nixon's approval ratings also hadn't slipped far enough to make a rematch seem necessary.

Watergate occurring is 50/50. On the one hand, Nixon is familiar with Humphrey as opponent; on the other hand, Nixon is determined to win. I say it leans toward not.

I very much doubt that Humphrey does worse than McGovern. Unlike McGovern Humphrey would carry most of the core Democratic vote and he wouldn't be tainted with "amnesty, abortion, and acid." Nor would he be likely to be so indecisive about his running mate.

Nixon is likely to be re-elected, but Humphrey does much better than McGovern.

Watergate blowing up in 1972. LBJ can also expose the Chennault affair. Can it happen?

By 1972 LBJ is retired and out of the political spotlight. Had he decided to leak the Chennault Affair, he would've had to do so as President in 1968 in order to have a real impact. But had he done so, Humphrey - not Nixon - would most likely be President in 1972.

RousseauX

Donor
He loses, first term incumbents with good approvals don't lose re-election, but a generic New Deal establishment Democratic won't lose nearly as bad as McGovern

He loses, first term incumbents with good approvals don't lose re-election, but a generic New Deal establishment Democratic won't lose nearly as bad as McGovern

I say he gets at least 100 electoral votes, and does much better than McGovern on the West Coast, Upper Midwest, and Northeast. But he gets crushed in the South and the Farm Belt. Instead of 60% of the vote, Nixon is more likely to take around 51% or 52%. Maybe 53%. A decisive victory, but not a landslide.

1972 Re-match between all 1968 candidates with new running mates:
Nixon picks Connally to replace Agnew, pissing off some conservatives but not enough to bolt, Humphrey picks the perfect running mate, Fred Harris, and Wallace picks any southern racist who likes him enough I guess

• OTL's Sargent Shriver
  • Mike Gravel
  • Abraham A. Ribicoff
  • Reubin Askew
  • Frank Church
  • Peter Rodino

Humphrey does way better than McGovern. Unlike McGovern, he has staunch labor support which pretty much brought him back form the dead in 1968.