AHC: native civilization in the Philipines

What crops and animals could be used on the Philipines to build a native civilization

Austronesians were there by 2000 BC and the civilization should be online by 1000 BC, as advanced as China

I can't figure out if you're asking what could start civilization earlier in the region or if you thought we didn't have a native civilization.

I can't figure out if you're asking what could start civilization earlier in the region or if you thought we didn't have a native civilization.
Yeah, I do think the OP should clarify this. There were definitely native states in the Philippines for hundreds of years prior to colonization that could definitely be considered a native civilization. But if you’re asking whether the Philippines can be a cradle of civilization without any outside influence then it’s a different matter.

Yeah, I do think the OP should clarify this. There were definitely native states in the Philippines for hundreds of years prior to colonization that could definitely be considered a native civilization. But if you’re asking whether the Philippines can be a cradle of civilization without any outside influence then it’s a different matter.
The latter.

There should be a native civilization as advanced as China until 500 BC at latest with it's own advanced politics, literature and writing system. It may be influenced by China just as Japanese civilization was.

Would a Austronesian ship from the Philipines be able to visit Shang or Zhou Dynasty?

Last edited:
What crops and animals could be used on the Philipines to build a native civilization

Austronesians were there by 2000 BC and the civilization should be online by 1000 BC, as advanced as China
The latter.

There should be a native civilization as advanced as China until 500 BC at latest with it's own advanced politics, literature and writing system. It may be influenced by China just as Japanese civilization was.

Would a Austronesian ship from the Philipines be able to visit Shang or Zhou Dynasty?

Adapting Chinese tech, same as how the Koreans and Japanese did it. Or some Chinese dynasty moving out and transferring to the Islands.

Unification is more or less in Luzon than the whole OTL Philippines land area due to proximity to China and size of the island relative to the rest of archipelago. Luzon would be more Chinese than Indian influenced early on adapting tech, writing, tradition, etc. FYI, the islands were using localized sanskrit adapting Indian religions, etc. So by the time Javanese develops, which will adapt Sanskirt, Luzon would be much closer to Korea and Japanese culturally than Javans.

Austronesian ship can visit China. That is how the Austronesians migrated from Taiwan to the rest of South East Asia and Polynesia. It is probably one of the or the only tech Austronesians are more advanced than the Chinese at this point in time.

The issue I believe is how to bring tech to the Philippines. The Chinese in OTL despite trading for like hundreds of years never even brought the wheel to the Philippines. It had to be the Spanish who introduce the wheel to the Philippines. So there must be government and people migration from the Chinese which will bring in the tech.

For animals, carabao, water buffalo which can work at the fields. One can import horse from China though. Crops rice.