Simply put, have more railroads in North America use electric engine as opposed to diesel engines.

Where would this be economically viable or successful? Where wouldn't it work? Is it possible to see most American main lines electrified?

The most obvious choice for electrification to be applied where it hadn't been was the Pennsylvania Railroad west of Harrisburg. There was a great deal of talk of extending the catenary west at least to Pittsburgh (imagine GG1s going around the Horseshoe Curve): that might have helped the war effort, all other things being equal, with more efficient train movements. Another choice that was finally realized: extending the northeast corridor catenary from New Haven to Boston.

Not sure about elsewhere: the Milwaukee Road's electrification had horrific cost overruns (bottom line was ~4x the estimate). The Great Northern's electrification was pretty much smoke abatement through tunnels. About the only other corridor I could remotely see would be from Pittsburgh west to Chicago, but even that is stretching it, given that power would have to be generated by fossil fuel plants as opposed to hydroelectric power.

If the New Haven hadn't been blocked from outright purchasing the B&M and Maine Central (and doing so made it profitable), we could have had ep-3's running into Boston South by the 1930's, with electrically powered commuter trains on the old colony branches looping on a pocket track under South station. Probably electric service out to Providence to. Maybe even some kind of NSRL (even one at surface level). Of course, a New Haven that big could mean all sorts of butterflies for New England politics in the teens and twenties. I sense a TL coming on.

Of course, there's always the "Ooh, if the Milwaukee Road had held onto the wires for just a little bit longer they would have been in a great position to profit from the oil crisis". In order to hold onto it for any longer, they'd need to modernize their system and close the gap out west; like @Mike Stearns said, a good make-work project during the depression perhaps.

If the oil crisis lasts longer and someone radical, I dunno, George McGovern perhaps (@Yes), is in charge of the white house, he could try to give railroads money to do the electrification projects they weren't able to make profitable themselves. I know the Santa Fe had talked about electrifying their entire main line during this time; that'd be a sight to see.