AHC: More anarchic enclaves like Kowloon Walled City

The Kowloon Walled City was a 2.6 hectare enclave within British Hong Kong that was always legally an exclave of China, in all its iterations. However, because there was never any Chinese central government willing or capable of governing it, it was de facto a legal vacuum, where in practice the Triads held sway. It had the highest population density of anywhere in the world. In the final years of British rule, China agreed to permit the UK to demolish it and build a new park.

What are other examples of tiny enclaves that, due to historical and legal quirk, become a legal vacuum?

The various Indo-Bangladeshi enclaves fit this, though none were so popular or populous as Kowloon. Instead, the border confusion only served to keep people isolated from the laws and public services of their home countries. A series of conferences mostly resolved the issue some years ago.

I wonder what conditions need to be met for an enclave to not only have all the disadvantages mentioned but also be "net importer," in terms of migration.

Almost all “international zones” fall into this eventually, so all you would need to do is make sure that they survive as independent units.

Almost all “international zones” fall into this eventually, so all you would need to do is make sure that they survive as independent units.

Where are these international zones? I can only think of very sparsely populated areas like the former Neutral Area between KSA and Iraq and Bir Tawil.

Edit: I suppose there is Neutral Moresnet, that might work.

Where are these international zones? I can only think of very sparsely populated areas like the former Neutral Area between KSA and Iraq and Bir Tawil.

Edit: I suppose there is Neutral Moresnet, that might work.

1) international zone Tangier

2) the free city of Danzig

3) historically dejima in Japan

4) free territory of trieste

5) Vienna when it was divided into four post ww-2

1) international zone Tangier

2) the free city of Danzig

3) historically dejima in Japan

4) free territory of trieste

5) Vienna when it was divided into four post ww-2

Dejima might work, but they others are too large, developed, and populous to become like Kowloon Walled City. Have you seen this place?

EFA01A9A-1C7F-4A1A-98EF-045DE6C39815.jpeg