AHC: More “Switzerlands”

In otl, without certain directions that the French state took, France could certainly be at least a country with two major spoke languages and some six languages spoken within her. If France is maintained to only the legal West Francia, prior to other major acquisitions, it would be a country of three main languages and a few minor ones.

-French
-Occitan
-Arpitan (in Lyon)
-Normand
-Basque (minor)

---------------------------------------
A Louisiana say that is occupied continually by Spain or is acquired by the British Empire to the exclusion of the US and gains its independence with either Napoleonic era or some other event; could be like this.

-French
-Castilian
-English
-Kreyol
-------------------------------------
If considered a uniform entity and without some of its setbacks, the Holy Roman Empire would be the most linguistically diverse country in Europe, aside from perhaps the Ottoman Empire. Such a realm would be unable to function without utilizing Latin to a very large degree across the three composite kingdoms.

Holy Roman Empire if it ruled its entire realm:

-German
-Italian
-Lombard
-Occitan
-French
-Walloon
-Dutch
-Czech
-Slovenian
-Venetian
-Ligurian
-Corsican
-Arpitan
-Romansh

The most interesting part of said group, is the part of the Empire that was synonymous with Middle Francia. Its realm would be split between many different near equally important tongues. Occito-Provencal, Arpitan, German, Dutch, Walloon and French, I am not sure which of these would take the precedence. Though, I can certainly imagine a scenario of Occitan, German and another tongue dominating said realm.
-----------------------------------

In a hypothetical country spanning much of the Kwarezmshah empire yet excluding Persia proper and other sectors of modern Iran, would possesses a linguistic situation of Pashtun, Uzbek, Turkmen and an Iranian set of Tajik-Dari (Farsi, generally speaking).

Denmark with its pre-1864 borders. It included Danes (70%), Germans (28%) and Frisians (2%) (rough estimate). This doesn’t include oversea populations like Icelanders, Faroese, Greenlanders and Virgin Islanders.

Duke William of Normandy dies at a young age, preventing the Norman Conquest. Old English, Scots Gaelic, and Welsh remain the primary languages. Have the island unite peacefully, with each area retaining its unique language and culture.

Last edited:
Walloon? Ch'ti?

In OTL, Walloon, Picard, Lorrain and Champenois lack the level of recognition Romansh enjoys. There's a largely symbolic/folkloristic recognition as "langues régionales endogènes", but are not in any further official use by federal or local administrations. But indeed: they might be candidates for such a status in ATL, although I'll have to think about a POD that might lead to such a scenario.

Concerning ch'ti: in my experience (my late grandmother was a native speaker - I was hardly able to understand her at the end of her life), most Picard speakers (essentially elderly people) refer to their language as wallon (if not just patois or a similar term). My impression is that the term ch'ti was only popularised in Belgium thanks/due to the 2008 film Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, and even then I believe most people, when hearing the word ch'ti, mostly associate it with "that film and the weird kind of French those people spoke" and not "the language my granny speaks". But I might be wrong - I've mostly lost contact with the region nowadays.
Ironically, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is set in a traditionally West Flemish speaking town ...