AHC: Mississippi and Alabama split in election

So, Mississippi and Alabama have voted for the same presidental canidate since 1840. So, what I'm asking, is at some point during the 20th century have Mississippi and Alabama be split between 2 major canidates.

So, Mississippi and Alabama have voted for the same presidental canidate since 1840. So, what I'm asking, is at some point during the 20th century have Mississippi and Alabama be split between 2 major canidates.

Based on a quick glance of election results, your best bet would probably be either the 1980 election or 1976 election.

In 1980, Reagan won both Alabama and Mississippi by less than 20,000 votes each. Have either Carter's campaign do a bit better or Reagan's a bit worse in either state and tada.

As for 1976, Carter only won Mississippi by less than 20,000 in comparison to the 150,000+ votes he won over Ford in Alabama. In this case, simply have either Carter's campaign be a tad worse or Ford's a tad better in Mississippi.

Admittedly, either situation would probably be viewed as more as a fluke than anything else by political scientists. Still, it's the easiest route imo to getting what you want.

Maybe 1928. That year Hoover came (officially) within 7000 votes of taking Alabama, but was 97,000 behind in Mississippi. I understand that indignant Republicans claimed that Smith's winning margin consisted of votes cast in graveyards etc, and that they won a majority of live voters. Given what I know of Deep South politics, I suspect their complaints were justified.

So if Hoover does a shade better, and can't be counted out, the two states differ.

Besides 1976 and 1980, there is 1928, when Alabama, unlike Mississippi, came close to going for Hoover. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1928 Indeed, it has often been asserted that Hoover really did carry Alabama in 1928, but was "counted out."

Why the difference between the two states in 1928? In Mississippi, racism and the belief that the Democrats were the only "white man's party" trumped everything else, including even religion. Racism was obviously strong in Alabama as well, but the state was equally obsessed with religion. Senator Tom Heflin, who liked to rail against the Pope, supported Hoover.

Maybe 1928. That year Hoover came (officially) within 7000 votes of taking Alabama, but was 97,000 behind in Mississippi. I understand that indignant Republicans claimed that Smith's winning margin consisted of votes cast in graveyards etc, and that they won a majority of live voters. Given what I know of Deep South politics, I suspect their complaints were justified.

Off topic but in light of the recent controversy over the moves in the last few years to restrict voting, most of which is happening in the South maybe it's not a Republican thing like most people on here say but just a Southern thing and at the moment most Southerners are Republicans.

Another possibility might be 1960.

OTL, the Alabama Electoral vote split between Kennedy electors and unpledged Democrats who ended up voting for Harry F Byrd. Mississippi voted solid for the unpledged slate. So about half of Alabama voted differently from Mississippi.

Could the Alabama popular vote change enough to give JFK AL's whole electoral vote? That again to two states would part company.

jahenders

Banned
Hard to argue it's a movement "in the last few years," of Republicans, or of the South -- there have been various limitations/restrictions on voting (race, sex, property, English proficiency, etc) in every state since the colonial era.

Most of the current "restrictions" amount to:
A) Must be willing to fill out paperwork (usually on line) sometime before you show up to exercise the bedrock right of our nation and
B) must be willing to show valid ID like you have to to cash a check, get a prescription filled, buy Benadryl, drive, get a bank account, etc, etc, etc.

Off topic but in light of the recent controversy over the moves in the last few years to restrict voting, most of which is happening in the South maybe it's not a Republican thing like most people on here say but just a Southern thing and at the moment most Southerners are Republicans.