Mario-Sonic crossover action game

During the GameCube era, Yuji Naka discussed with Shigeru Miyamoto about plans to make an action game where Mario and Sonic would co-star as the main characters. This was turned down however, and instead we had Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. He still wants it to happen too.

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/08/06/yuji-naka-wants-to-see-a-mario-and-sonic-crossover-action-game/

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/08/07...sonic-and-mario-to-co-star-in-an-action-game/

“Actually, I wanted Mario [and Sonic] to appear together, so one time I went to give Miyamoto-san a presentation on how I want to create an action game which is co-starred by Mario and Sonic. It was in the GameCube days, and I took around four planners with me. It is a pity that the discussion was ‘clearly it isn’t necessary for Mario and Sonic to co-star in an action [game]’ and it didn’t become a reality, but SEGA was able to get the license for the Olympics just at that time, so in order to make the best use of the license, companion characters appeared together.

A little later Sonic appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, this too came into reality because I requested from Sakurai-san, ‘I want Sonic to appear [in Smash Bros.]’. The Olympics is a bit different from my wish, but I think it’s a good thing that children around the world are happy about them co-starring. But someday I want to realize an action [game] together with Mario. I think I’m going to give another presentation so that Takashi [Iizuka] finds the necessity [of a Mario & Sonic action game].”

But what if Miyamoto accepted Naka's offer? What would this game look like (Would you switch between Mario and Sonic like with Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations? Would there be a multiplayer mode? Would there be different levels in which you play as Mario or Sonic separately?)? And what would be the effects of this happening? Would Mario and Sonic be seen in a different light, would this game even be successful?

Last edited:
I think the game would have to make some sweeping changes to either 3D Mario or 3D Sonic's gameplay styles, as the former is traditionally freeform and in the idea of a collectathon, while the latter is linear and a "get to the goal as fast as you can" style. Personally, I would think a fusion of the two would work, similar to some of the larger stages in Super Mario 3D World. Another addition would be level geometry only able to be effectively used by either one of the protagonists (which works well with Sonic's branching level design, something that would naturally carry over). So Sonic could use loops and corkscrews, but Mario could jump to higher places that Sonic can't reach.

Power-ups would certainly be interesting... Sonic using a Fire Flower would be neat, and Mario could use the Speed Shoes to reach Sonic-levels of speed and interact with his parts of the stage for a short while.

And the final boss better be Bowser and Eggman teaming up, only to be stopped by Sonic and Mario in their Super forms.

@HeX give some pointers and as he say both Sonic and Mario are very different in their 3d styles...something in the adventure style but bigger action stages, allowing the use of both Sonic and Mario either interchangeabelly or just good for both, example, imagine a green hill or azure coast with more emphasis in platformer and both speed and jump elements, make the game reward both exploration and speed in different style, like get some secret or get well into speed even for those S ranks to allowe replayability

Other would be Just sonic and Mario/luigi as adding more characther is the perfect receipe to ruin it...i can imagine something very in line both Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Lost world.

An idea on what it could look like?

mario_and_sonic_collision_by_phill_art-d8shvkg.jpg

Other would be Just sonic and Mario/Luigi as adding more character is the perfect recipe to ruin it...i can imagine something very in line both Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Lost world.

I disagree with adding more characters, both sides would have to be more willing to flesh out the movesets of any other characters. One concern I would have is how we would get to play as the other characters, either by having them as unlockable after you beat the single player campaign or to be released as dlc if Nintendo's up for that.

@Gaminguy010 take some notes if you feel the need.

I disagree with adding more characters, both sides would have to be more willing to flesh out the movesets of any other characters. One concern I would have is how we would get to play as the other characters, either by having them as unlockable after you beat the single player campaign or to be released as dlc if Nintendo's up for that.

@Gaminguy010 take some notes if you feel the need.
For me is the opposite, with Sonic team track record after Sonic adventure, they knew more characther can broke the level design but well done both could be interesting. Still i want something very thight knit so Sonic team could have less chance to ruin it.

An idea on what it could look like?

mario_and_sonic_collision_by_phill_art-d8shvkg.jpg
That one is very Nice, still commit the sin of a little over design but the idea is good using unleashed/colours Style with 3D world elememts

Unrelated (and ASB), but I was always interested in the idea of Sega taking a shot of creating their own Mario game, and Nintendo with Sonic. Or at the very least, a writer for Sonic making a draft on how he would create Mario and/or a Mario writer doing the same with Sonic. Idea inspired by Stan Lee writing the Just Imagine... DC Comics.

I'm guessing that Mario would be a bit more "hip" and edgy, while Sonic would be mute and more humble.

And would Shadow be greedy and Wario be edgy?

Imagine what CDi Sonic would look like. *shudders*

Last edited: