AHC: Make WWI or WWII include even more countries than they did in OTL

Spain - I don't think so. Too clever, that Franco.

From what I can tell, the only thing stopping Franco from entering WW2 were Spain's colonial and military disputes with Germany over Morocco and the Canary Islands.

Franco_1.png

Franco_2.png

Franco_3.png

The source is "A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II" by Gerhard L. Weinburg

Ireland is somewhat difficult. The British could strong-arm them any day, but chose not to; they were already getting what they wanted. Maybe if the Luftwaffe launches a big raid against N. Ireland, but flattens much of Dublin because of a navigation mistake, and the British do decide to exploit that....
The Luftwaffe tended to bomb Dublin when they attacked Liverpool rather than Belfast, the navigation was not up to much. The German Ambassador usually had to go out the next day to hand out compensation to bombed out Dubliners, ironically sometimes in the Jewish quarter of Dublin.

Another potential change for Ireland might have been a different US Ambassador who was more able to work the Irish rather than butting heads with them all the time.

From what I can tell, the only thing stopping Franco from entering WW2 were Spain's colonial and military disputes with Germany over Morocco and the Canary Islands.

Franco_1.png

Franco_2.png

Franco_3.png

The source is "A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II" by Gerhard L. Weinburg

Thank you for the source, but I disagree. The fact that one side in a negotiation makes an unreasonable demand or refuses to yield on a reasonable demand by the other side isn't always and necessarily an indication of stupidity by that side, or of the fact that the demand's importance is overestimated. Sometimes, it's a subtle way to make no deal without actually saying you just don't want the deal.

Make WWI or WWII include even more countries than they did in OTL.

I don't know if a Hohezollern on the Spanish throne would mean Spain joining the Central Powers, but the thought is interesting.
East African front If Italy remained a Central Power. Battles in Eritrea, Lybia, Somalia, Kenya. French and Brits battle the Italians in their colonies, Italians try to invade British colonies.Ethiopia might join the Entente in order to gain Eritrea.

Getting Sweden involved in the Great War is probably the easiest option by having von Essen engage Sweden and bring them into the war. I actually wonder if Britain and France would declare war on the Swedes or if they'd just let Russia deal with their cock up.

Getting Sweden involved in the Great War is probably the easiest option by having von Essen engage Sweden and bring them into the war. I actually wonder if Britain and France would declare war on the Swedes or if they'd just let Russia deal with their cock up.

It'd certainly not make them look great among neutral circles. Sure the German's invaded Belgium but the Russians have attacked Sweden!

Spain might shorten the war to the point that far fewer countries would have been in it. The defeat of the first German advance was close and even sending a Spanish cadet troop across the border could critically distract France.
How ,good' was Spanish Army in 1914 ?

Aside from a few units it was shit
Member: 92734"]Aside from a few units it was shit[/QUOTE]
Than morale might break down pretty fast. France might even hold itself against Spain while fighting Germany. Maybe there is trench warfare in the Pyrenees. The danger for Spain might be a bad morale taking over. Spanish society by than must have been a Powder keg. Maybe a disastrous war could result in munity, Revolution and Civil war in Spain early. In North Africa the Rif Kabyles might rebel.

But if you send those units in, France has to choose between taking troops from the defence of Paris or allowing Spain to move unhindered in the South.

Or sending colonial troops still in the colonies and along the Italian border to hold them until the Germans get themselves overextended and smashed. The Spanish Legion and the Moroccan Regulars were good to bad there were only 30,000 of them and they were the only effective units in the Army.

Or sending colonial troops still in the colonies and along the Italian border to hold them until the Germans get themselves overextended and smashed. The Spanish Legion and the Moroccan Regulars were good to bad there were only 30,000 of them and they were the only effective units in the Army.
Wouldn' t the French attack the Spanish holdings in North Africa ?