AHC: Make Washington, D.C. the largest city in the world

qazse

Gone Fishin'
You may use any PoD after the organisation of the District of Columbia on February 27, 1801.

Any method to increase the city's population is fair game.

dcharles

Banned
Something something a new Constitutional Convention after the Civil War establishes a more unitary state, boosting the city's growth rate over the long term. That might make it the biggest in the US.

Worldwide, probably need a few more big ones after that. Idk. It's a start. :- )

Washington, DC was considered a hazardous duty post until after widespread adoption of air conditioning. It was malarial swampland.

At the very least, you need to massively increase immigration into the United States. No Chinese Exclusion Act, no quotas, and practically open borders. That should raise the population of all the cities in the US. That way, at least one American city could be the largest city in the world.

As for how to get DC in particular to grow, I don't know. Its not a "natural" city. It didn't form due to trade or something special about the area it was formed. Its only industry is government. Make the government bigger? You could have it not give up the Virginia side of the District. That would increase it some, at least.

Well, east Asia needs to be fucked over pretty badly for one, since I'm pretty sure london wasn't even the biggest city at the end of the pax britannica

Short of it being literally somewhere else (which would violate the OP) due to its terrible historical geographical location, or serious badness happening internationally, I'm not sure that this is really feasible.

Otherwise, cheat by describing the BosWash Corridor as being "Metro DC".

iddt3

Donor
I mean the District of Columbia can be expanded and/or moved. That would certainly help.

Wait until modern times, nuclear war kicks off, D.C is the only city not hit due to sufficient missile defences.
The old monkey paw solution.

Spain holds on to its American colonies and decides to prevent immigration there to maintain control. Give the US a weaker nativist faction and let all the immigrants end up in the BosWash area, creating the world's first megacity. Or Mega City One, if you prefer.

It's very difficult with that POD for it to even be the largest city in the USA. New York, Boston and Philadelphia have too much momentum by the time it is founded.

If the POD is say 1700, it could happen. The English government decides to merge the 13 colonies and, as a compromise, puts the capital there (Williamston? Williamopolis?) which is renamed Washington after independence.

It feels impossible, and I am known for bucking up for Washington both as a city (the actual city, not the federal government I admit defines its existence) and location.

Some stuff that could help to even try to cross this impossible gap:

-Let Washington’s dream of the federal capital and not Jefferson’s vision of a mere federal campus come into play so all the below happens as fast as possible.
-Much stronger local control and government from the get-go. Congress will always be top dog but a city able to respond to its own needs as fast as possible than disinterested Congressmen from across the nation will do wonders for livability.
-Higher density zoning, skyscrapers when they come, etc. even while keeping the OTL base city plan, federal enclaves, and parks/greenery for citzenry’s and government’s sake alike.
-Get the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal rolling as fast as possible as Washington envisioned as a western gateway, perhaps THE one in TTL. It is the second best western canal site after the seemingly God-sculpted pathway of the Erie Canal.
-More (even more?) roads and rail passing through it, as big a navy yard and commercial seaport as possible, etc. to encourage merchants to come by and settle down.
-Just encouraging industry and commerce in general.