AHC: Make the Queen of England a descendent of George Washington, Napoleon or Moctezuma

Did you know that the Queen of England is a descendent of the Prophet Muhammad? Well, no one knows for sure if it's true, but it's possible. So I was thinking... Who else on history could be, in an alternate TL, an ancestor of Elizabeth II. Obviously, if you change the ancestors, it wouldn't be the same Elizabeth II of OTL, but let's just say it's a Queen of England with the same name and go on with it.

I chose Washington, Napoleon and Moctezuma for the title because all three of them sound like the crazy and improbable challenge I want, but feel free to choose another historical personality, like Cleopatra, Alexander, the Great, Julius Caesar, Mansa Musa, Peter II of Brazil, Genghis Khan, idk, anyone you think would be interesting as an ancestor, and then try to trace a line of descendence. Naturally, many POD's may be needed.

I'll try to exemplify it with George Washington:

First, Washington had no sons, so we'll have to change it. Of course, he was probably sterile, but let's say...

Lawrence Washington was born in 1784 (this year is commonly attributed to the birth of West Ford, an enslaved man speculated to be Washington's son)

Lawrance's daughter with Mary Fitzhugh, Anne Washington, born in 1810, would marry general Robert E. Lee in 1832

After winning de War of Secession (1861 - 1863), the Confederate States of America starts an expasionist agenda, annexing Cuba and intervening in Mexico's own Civil War. To appease to the mexican nationalists (at least some of them), a confederate congressman proposes an unusual plan: to make Maximilian I of Mexico the emperor of the Confederate Empire of America (don't ask questions, let's just go with it). The plan succeeds, and the empire shall still have a president, as the emperor has just a symbolic importance. Anyway, many american and mexican aristocrats receive nobility titles. As empress Carlota of Belgium had recently died at the trip to Mexico, and Maximilian was childless, congress also decide to marry him to the recently made duchess of Virginia, Eleanor Lee (1841), daughter of the confederate general and national hero Robert E. Lee, and great granddaughter of George Washington himself.

Maximilian and Eleanor would have many children, such as princess Mary, future Queen of Belgium, and prince August, the future Emperor Augustus I of America (1869)..

After the civil war that ended the CEA in 1882, the boy emperor Augustus I and his supporters would find refuge with his uncle Frazn Joseph I's court, in Vienna, where he married his cousin, the archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria. In 1899 August and Valerie would conceive archduchess Elizabeth Augusta. She was initially betroth to prince Edward of England, in a show of friendship betwen the two countries after the signing of the Treaty of Linz, that ensured mutual military defense in case of a european war. The marriage was , however, postponed by the war itself. Tragically, the prince would never see Elizabeth.

When Edward died in 1915, on the trenchs of France, Elizabeth was proposed to his brother, prince Albert (future King George VI of England). Their first child, John, born in 1919, died three years later of hemophilia. The death of the little prince shocked british society and put in doubt Elizabeth's abilty to bear healthy children, as some saw her as a inbred Habsburg descendent of an american rebel. It would be only in 1926 that their first daughter, named Elizabeth Alexandra, was born. Heir apparent, "Lilibet" would be crowned, in 1952, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So, that's it. I would love to see more alternate ancestries!

As for any errors in spelling, english is not my first language, so I'm sorry

The tricky part is that Napoleon and Moctezuma's descendants have all been Catholics. That being said, Mary of Teck's father was Austrian, so it's conceivable to rework the geneaologies so that she would be a descendant of the Dukes of Moctezuma de Tultengo via the Bourbons.

Going by the theory of common ancestors (that everyone who lived over a 1000 years ago either has no living descendants or is an ancestor of most of the world's population), chances are TTL Elizabeth II is the descendant of various important people from the antiquity and early medieval periods and we just have no way to prove it.

The tricky part is that Napoleon and Moctezuma's descendants have all been Catholics.

Hmm I didn't thought about it, well remembered.
That being said, Mary of Teck's father was Austrian, so it's conceivable to rework the geneaologies so that she would be a descendant of the Dukes of Moctezuma de Tultengo via the Bourbons.
That's a good one, I'll research a little more about.
Going by the theory of common ancestors (that everyone who lived over a 1000 years ago either has no living descendants or is an ancestor of most of the world's population), chances are TTL Elizabeth II is the descendant of various important people from the antiquity and early medieval periods and we just have no way to prove it.
That's true... I think the point would be to make a comprehensible link between the historical figures, just like we can trace a clear line between Ptolemy and Cleopatra.

Elizabeth II is a descendant of Ferdinand and Isabella.

Ferdinand is a descendant of Hiyya Al Daudi, an exilarch.

The exilarchs were the heirs to the Davidic line of kings...so Elizabeth is descended from the kings of Judah. (As well as the infamous Ahab and Jezebel.)

There's also a theory that a daughter of Zedekiah married into the Irish royal family but that seems farfetched. The connection via Al Daudi is much more solid.

She’s already a descendant of Charlemagne, Alfred the Great, and William the Conqueror. I’d say all three were pretty important.

The tricky part is that Napoleon and Moctezuma's descendants have all been Catholics. That being said, Mary of Teck's father was Austrian, so it's conceivable to rework the geneaologies so that she would be a descendant of the Dukes of Moctezuma de Tultengo via the Bourbons.

Napoleon might be tricky but Moctezuma not so much. He died already 500 years ago so someone his descendant could marry EII's ancestor much earlier and so converted to Anglicanism. Or then Britain never adopt Act of Settlement and allow marriage with Catholic or at least rules are not so harsh and it is allowed marry Catholic.

Or someone Moctezuma's descendant just moves to England and converts to Anglicanism.

I think that Napoleon is the easiest of these to accomplish. The later generations of Bonapartes and their associates (i.e. Beauharnais) did indeed marry into families which were not Roman Catholic.

Montezuma is the best possibility. He is the oldest, and his descendants are therefore the most widspread. His daughter Tecuichpoch (Isabel; 1509-1551) had several children by Cortez and his associates. She was married to three of them, and her natural daughter by Cortez also married a wealthy Spaniard. It's estimated that there are 2,000 living descendants of her in Spain today, including several dukes and counts.

So: Isobel's great-grandson *Carlos de Almora (*1605-*1641) went off to Germany as a captain in the Spanish army under the Cardinal-Infante Fernando in 1634. At the battle of Nordlingen (1634), he retreated without orders to save his men. Afterwards, he was unfairly denounced for cowardice and stripped of his commission. Looking for a new job, he took service with the Protestant (but pro-Imperial) Elector John George of Saxony. At Wittstock (1636), where the Imperial and Saxon forces were routed, he was wounded in a rear-guard action and lost his leg. For his bravery and his loss, he was awarded a pension by John George and made a garrison commander in some minor Saxon town; also awarded the noble honorific "von". He married a local merchant's daughter (becoming Protestant to do so, but he hardly cared), and begat a daughter, Marie. From her (all dates and names marked * are invented; however, names not so marked are real):

1. *Marie von Almora (*1638-*1682) m. *Rudolph von Goldstein (*1613-*1667)
  2. Louise Katharina von Goldstein (*1660-*1696) m. Georg Wilhelm von Podewils
  3. Maria Katharina von Podewils (*1684-*1741) m. Heinrich von Wallenrodt
  4. Baroness Maria Luise von Wallenrodt (*1710-*1768) m. Ahasverus Ernst, Count von Lehndorff
  5. Countess Maria Eleonore von Lehndorff (*1733-*1777) m. Count Karl Leopold von Schlieben (1723-1788)
  6. Countess Friederike von Schlieben (1757-1827) m. Friedrich Karl Ludwig, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (1757-1816)
  7. Frederick William, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1785-1831)
  8. Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906)
  9. Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925)
  10. George V
  11. George VI
  12. Elizabeth II
I don't know anything about #s 2 , 3, and 4 except that they were NE German gentry. The supposition that #2's -mother could have been the daughter of *Carlos by a woman he married in Saxony is my speculation.

Pretty much all the rest of the Windsor/Hanover tree is Saxon or nearby nobles as far as the eye can see, and I don't see how to sneak *Carlos among them. Alexandra however has the blob of near-commoners on hers.

Last edited:
You could always have conversion for practical reasons. Halpened all the time.

Montezuma is the best possibility. He is the oldest, and his descendants are therefore the most widspread. His daughter Tecuichpoch (Isabel; 1509-1551) had several children by Cortez and his associates. She was married to three of them, and her natural daughter by Cortez also married a wealthy Spaniard. It's estimated that there are 2,000 living descendants of her in Spain today, including several dukes and counts.

So: Isobel's great-grandson *Carlos de Almora (*1605-*1641) went off to Germany as a captain in the Spanish army under the Cardinal-Infante Fernando in 1634. At the battle of Nordlingen (1634), he retreated without orders to save his men. Afterwards, he was unfairly denounced for cowardice and stripped of his commission. Looking for a new job, he took service with the Protestant (but pro-Imperial) Elector John George of Saxony. At Wittstock (1636), where the Imperial and Saxon forces were routed, he was wounded in a rear-guard action and lost his leg. For his bravery and his loss, he was awarded a pension by John George and made a garrison commander in some minor Saxon town; also awarded the noble honorific "von". He married a local merchant's daughter (becoming Protestant to do so, but he hardly cared), and begat a daughter, Marie. From her (all dates and names marked * are invented; however, names not so marked are real):

1. *Marie von Almora (*1638-*1682) m. *Rudolph von Goldstein (*1613-*1667)
  2. Louise Katharina von Goldstein (*1660-*1696) m. Georg Wilhelm von Podewils
  3. Maria Katharina von Podewils (*1684-*1741) m. Heinrich von Wallenrodt
  4. Baroness Maria Luise von Wallenrodt (*1710-*1768) m. Ahasverus Ernst, Count von Lehndorff
  5. Countess Maria Eleonore von Lehndorff (*1733-*1777) m. Count Karl Leopold von Schlieben (1723-1788)
  6. Countess Friederike von Schlieben (1757-1827) m. Friedrich Karl Ludwig, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (1757-1816)
  7. Frederick William, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1785-1831)
  8. Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906)
  9. Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925)
  10. Edward VII
  11. George V
  12. George VI
  13. Elizabeth II
I don't know anything about #s 2 , 3, and 4 except that they were NE German gentry. The supposition that #2's -mother could have been the daughter of *Carlos by a woman he married in Saxony is my speculation.

Pretty much all the rest of the Windsor/Hanover tree is Saxon or nearby nobles as far as the eye can see, and I don't see how to sneak *Carlos among them. Alexandra however has the blob of near-commoners on hers.
Fantastic! I loved it

I guess Napoleon is quite easy.
You just have to marry his son, the duke of Reichstadt, to Queen Victoria.
They were close in age and it could be part of an agreement between Austria and England.
There is the deal about the duke being a Catholic but he could convert to Anglicanism or the Act of Settlement could be altered in order to authorize this marriage.
Of course, you also have to extend the life of the duke.

I guess Napoleon is quite easy.
You just have to marry his son, the duke of Reichstadt, to Queen Victoria.
They were close in age and it could be part of an agreement between Austria and England.
There is the deal about the duke being a Catholic but he could convert to Anglicanism or the Act of Settlement could be altered in order to authorize this marriage.
Of course, you also have to extend the life of the duke.

Would British parliament or royal court ever accept marriage with son of enemy?

I think that more easier is going with some descendant of Moctezuma.

Would British parliament or royal court ever accept marriage with son of enemy?
I don't know.
Marrying their enemies' relatives is what royals always did until quite recently.
Also, Napoleon himself died in 1821. The duke of Reichstadt was essentially part of the Austrian imperial family.

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't know.
Marrying their enemies' relatives is what royals always did until quite recently.
Also, Napoleon himself died in 1821. The duke of Reichstadt was essentially part of the Austrian imperial family.
He’s a catholic, if Victoria marries him she’s disqualified from inheriting the throne under the act of succession, unless he converts

He’s a catholic, if Victoria marries him she’s disqualified from inheriting the throne under the act of succession, unless he converts
You said it: unless he converts. Or unless the act of succession is changed.
Also, I just noticed the duke of Reichstadt had quite interesting ancestry on his mother's side.
With him as her ancestor, Elizabeth II would also be descendant of many other important historical figures like Empress Maria Theresa or King Louis XIV.

VVD0D95

Banned
Also, I just noticed the duke of Reichstadt had quite interesting ancestry on his mother's side.
With him as her ancestor, Elizabeth II would also be descendant of many other important historical figures like Empress Maria Theresa or King Louis XIV.

Indeed, but how likely is it that he's going to Convert?

I think that Napoleon is the easiest of these to accomplish. The later generations of Bonapartes and their associates (i.e. Beauharnais) did indeed marry into families which were not Roman Catholic.
Marry Eugenia of Leuchtenberg (OTL Princess Oldenburgski) to Alfred, duke of Edinburgh because the emperor has no daughter available and you'd be good to go. Then just make TTL Elizabeth II descend from Alfred.

Not happening. The public went into hysterics at the thought of her marrying the prince de Joinville (who offered to convert) because he was a) Catholic and b) French. A son of Napoléon would have a MUCH bigger hurdle.

As for Anglo-Austrian relations, Prince Albert (yeug) was already the godson of the duke of Teschen, that was about as close to a Habsburg-Hannover match you'd get