AHC make the Lanfang Republic survive

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Višeslav, May 12, 2019.

1. Al-numbers Well-Known Member

Hey, that's a really interesting thesis! Thanks for posting!

Višeslav likes this.
  2. Admiral Matt Member

Remitonov and Višeslav like this.
  3. Višeslav Well-Known Member

Was there any chance of this rebellion succeeding? Like, could they take Sarawak and create something like a Kuching "branch" of the San-Tia'o-Kou hueh Kongsi or would the British just come in and beat the $h!t out of them (the latter seems likely to me, but IDK how much the British cared about Sarawak since it was not a protectorate yet as far as I know)? Of course, if something like that happened, having one clan control 2 large territories might be a problem for Lanfang's dominance in the Kongsi alliance, though either way it would be interesting.

Thanks for the resources. I`ll try to figure some of the Chinese wiki stuff out with google translate, but it`ll probably ruin every word.

4. Al-numbers Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that, even if the uprising succeeded, James Brooke would pawn off Sarawak to either the British or Dutch whom would likely beat the crap out of them. The Royal Navy in particular were already active in the region to combat piracy from China to India, and they even launched an attack with James Brooke on Bandar Brunei nearly a decade earlier because they assumed the Bruneian court was conducting piracy and pulling shady shenanigans behind their backs. It wasn't that the greater British Empire didn't care for Sarawak, but that they thought the region was the Brooke family problem first and foremost.

A successful Kongsi uprising would make them change that assumption pretty quickly. Controlling the seas would entail controlling at least the coasts, and that would put the British and Dutch into contact with the Kongsi of Sarawak. Then again, there wasn't anything specifically that would put them both in loggerheads (save the opium), and the Kongsi themselves could act as a bulwark against anti-piracy and act as the Brit's own middlemen in Borneo. I'm not familiar with the Twelve Kongsi (thank you so much @Meordal for the info!) so don't accept me thoroughly on this.

I'd say the uprising would net the ringleaders around a year or two of peace before Singapore or Batavia comes knocking.

EmperorBuaya and Višeslav like this.