AHC: Make Sonic more popular in Japan

We all know that the popular video game franchise Sonic originated from Japan. However, despite being born in Japan, Sonic games have poor sales over there, for example, Sonic 2 selling 160,000 units in Japan and Sonic Colours selling 10,000 units in Japan. Sonic also has a sizeable fanbase over in Japan, but not as big as the western ones.

So, how can I make Sonic be more popular in Japan as he is in western territories like America and Europe? How can I make that happen without ASB?

We all know that the popular video game franchise Sonic originated from Japan. However, despite being born in Japan, Sonic games have poor sales over there, for example, Sonic 2 selling 160,000 units in Japan and Sonic Colours selling 10,000 units in Japan. Sonic also has a sizeable fanbase over in Japan, but not as big as the western ones.

So, how can I make Sonic be more popular in Japan as he is in western territories like America and Europe? How can I make that happen without ASB?
Well, if you ask me, perhaps more development time, keep some of the beta elements (like Sonic’s band), or maybe add Tails in Sonic 1?

Well, if you ask me, perhaps more development time, keep some of the beta elements (like Sonic’s band), or maybe add Tails in Sonic 1?
I might think japan genuinely might not like the style of Sonic games, as Crash bandicoot sold far better than him too. Plus Sonic was always a character made to appeal to the west. BUT AGAIN Yankee/rebel sub fashion was very popular during the bubble era in japan too

I might think japan genuinely might not like the style of Sonic games, as Crash bandicoot sold far better than him too. Plus Sonic was always a character made to appeal to the west. BUT AGAIN Yankee/rebel sub fashion was very popular during the bubble era in japan too
That sounds believable, but how do we make Sonic a lot more appealing to Japanese audiences?

That sounds believable, but how do we make Sonic a lot more appealing to Japanese audiences?
That is an honestly good Question, i think Sonic Adventure was that, with the more action-adventure focus and was the best seller in japan with that SA1 for the Dreamcast sold about 460.000 copies, 520.000 if you count the DX version. I think Sonic Missing Sega most popular Japanese console ever(Saturn of course) HURT HIM MASSIVELY

Nephi

Banned
I think this means hedgehogs end up an invasive species.

Just like racoons they'll end up "popular" pets that get turned loose and end up thriving in a similar climate to Europe.

Does Mario have any actual elements of anime and manga?
Japan like Mario more as a game, specially his 2D work, and yes but the manga was very secondary even if very funny ( super Mario-kun)

I think once again no sonic in saturn was a missed opportunity in japan but even when mega drive have a decent install base. Sonic barely matter in japan

Would I need some of these to make Sonic more popular in Japan?

1. More OVA's during the classic era (and maybe also during the modern era).
  2. Promotions with companies like food, toys and stuff.
  3. A full-fledged Sega theme park in Japan, mostly focused on Sonic.
  4. A Sonic anime that debuted in the early-mid 90's.
  5. More manga based on Sonic during both the classic era and the modern era.
  6. A mainline 3D Sonic game on the Sega Saturn.
  7. Crossovers with other franchises like Dragon Ball.

Last edited:
Would I need some of these to make Sonic more popular in Japan?

1. More OVA's during the classic era (and maybe also during the modern era).
  2. Promotions with companies like food, toys and stuff.
  3. A full-fledged Sega theme park in Japan, mostly focused on Sonic.
  4. A Sonic anime that debuted in the early-mid 90's.
  5. More manga based on Sonic during both the classic era and the modern era.
  6. A mainline 3D Sonic game on the Sega Saturn.
  7. Crossovers with other franchises like Dragon Ball.
I think all of above except 3(too expensive) and 7(that didn't help Toriko at all)