AHC: Make Liberia Part of the USA

With a POD after 1900, and before 2010, how could Liberia become a U.S. territory, incorporated or unincorporated?

Bonus points if Liberia becomes a U.S. state/commonwealth.

FYI, worked with a LIberian once. It was in some ways quite amusing.

Despite being known for my conservative political views, I was the only person in the office who knew how to correctly pronounce her name.

And when a black co-worker told her "you didn't come over here like my people did" I got to tell them how the LIberian made the trip three times.

Over as a slave, back as a colonist, and back again as a refugee.:(

Maybe Americo Liberian leaders want annexation. t Though they would lose their power with the coming of American democracy.

Maybe Americo Liberian leaders want annexation. t Though they would lose their power with the coming of American democracy.

But large amounts of money flows in too. Perhaps not the leaders per say, but the elite as a whole wants statehood.

Sure the President gets demoted to Governor, but everyone else takes a step up. Someone gets to be Senators and Representatives, Post Master, their might be military bases built, ect.

Mmm, with the backing of the US, you get not only complete security, but the possibility of expansion...

FYI, worked with a LIberian once. It was in some ways quite amusing.

Despite being known for my conservative political views, I was the only person in the office who knew how to correctly pronounce her name.

And when a black co-worker told her "you didn't come over here like my people did" I got to tell them how the LIberian made the trip three times.

Over as a slave, back as a colonist, and back again as a refugee.:(

Are you sure she was Americo-Liberian? Most Liberians aren't, especially if they don't have European surnames.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Perhaps Teddy Roosevelt decides that America should get in on the Scramble for Africa, and Liberia is a nice little place to start.

Anything after 1930 or so, however, seems like a non-starter. There is no reason for the United States to want to annex Liberia, especially as it would be a giant money pit.

Not sure it's possible. The whole point of Liberia was that it was meant to get rid of free slaves from the mainland. Why would the government want to take them back?

The idea prposed in this thread is not really possible, but the precedent set by such n action might have consequences for other parts of Africa.