AHC: Make Haiti an American North Korea (West Quisqueya?)

The title says it all, folks. I've been reading about the regime of François "Papa Doc" Duvalier and it's completely fascinating. What scenario would result in the family business continuing into the present day? Ideally I'm looking for something similar to the current North Korea situation, where the nearest great power (the US in this case, obviously) is mortified by the behavior of the obviously insane neighboring rogue state, but maintains a tight bond for political reasons. The idea of an all-consuming Vodou cult to take the place of Best Korea's Juche is just too tempting to pass up. What do you all think?

In 1978 Dominican President Joaquím Balaguer whose regime had become ever more repressive over the years is overthrown by victorious communist rebels, who, afraid of another US-intervention, ask the Soviet Union and Cuba for fraternal economic and military aid. The USA, especially after the election of Ronald Reagan, starts proping up a heavily anti-communist Duvalier-regime in Haiti as a reaction to prevent the other half of Hispanola going communist as well. A good decade late a better planned and executed anti-Gorbachev coup succeeds and the Cold War doesn't end, thus leaving a substatial Soviet military presence in the Dominican People's Republic. The Duvalier-clan manages to paint its' political opponents as Moscow's 5th column and is thus able to keep its' US-support.

Last edited:
Let's take the parallels a little farther: it's clear that the US would draw the line at any sort of Haitian nuclear program (assume for the sake of argument they could theoretically cobble something together if not for US disapproval), but what sort of WMDs would the regime invest in, in the name of "self-defense in the face of unjust Russian aggression and the actions of the Kremlin's Dominican puppets"? For that matter, would the Haitian regime try to make the case that it was the legitimate government of the entirety of Hispaniola, or have the two countries been seperate for so long that that wouldn't carry water, even as revanchist propaganda goes? I don't know enough about the territorial claims each nation makes on the other, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Let's take the parallels a little farther: it's clear that the US would draw the line at any sort of Haitian nuclear program (assume for the sake of argument they could theoretically cobble something together if not for US disapproval), but what sort of WMDs would the regime invest in, in the name of "self-defense in the face of unjust Russian aggression and the actions of the Kremlin's Dominican puppets"? For that matter, would the Haitian regime try to make the case that it was the legitimate government of the entirety of Hispaniola, or have the two countries been seperate for so long that that wouldn't carry water, even as revanchist propaganda goes? I don't know enough about the territorial claims each nation makes on the other, so I'm not sure.

You could have the Dominican government go through anti-black hysteria out of fear of Haitain agents if the Communist brass is light enough (and maybe there are a number of African American units snuck in there incognito as well, just for the "it's not Paranoia of they are actually out to get you" factor). Then Port a Prince might say, to prevent genocide, the black people's of the island ought to be unified and the Commies.... allowed to practice their system on their own kind in Cuba.