AHC: Make Algeria remain French

French decide to "ditch" Vietnam and entire Indochina after WW2. East of Djibouti type of policy. At same time they offer Algerians (i.e. Muslim /Arab population) a degree of autonomy while keeping coastal areas with largest concentration of French closely integrated to metropolitan France. When/if rebellion starts there is no Vietnam war fatigue, weight of defeat and already expended resources. Ditching Indochina shows Algerians French are serious with their promises and offer of autonomy drives a wedge between those who want total independance for all Algeria and those willing to take the deal. All resulting in less popular support for rebels so French are able to achieve military victory and make the deal with moderates settling for autonomy.

How's that?

French decide to "ditch" Vietnam and entire Indochina after WW2. East of Djibouti type of policy. At same time they offer Algerians (i.e. Muslim /Arab population) a degree of autonomy while keeping coastal areas with largest concentration of French closely integrated to metropolitan France. When/if rebellion starts there is no Vietnam war fatigue, weight of defeat and already expended resources. Ditching Indochina shows Algerians French are serious with their promises and offer of autonomy drives a wedge between those who want total independance for all Algeria and those willing to take the deal. All resulting in less popular support for rebels so French are able to achieve military victory and make the deal with moderates settling for autonomy.

How's that?
I can't see how they could realistically 'defeat' a force as coordinated and determined as the NLF.

I can't see how they could realistically 'defeat' a force as coordinated and determined as the NLF.

1. French military in better shape
2. French public not war weary
3. Algerians divided between those who want to take the deal and those who want independance

All of which I mentioned already.....