AHC: Make AH Mainstream

With all the various pop culture threads running about, I'm astonished no one has attempted to postulate a TL wherein alternate history fiction is considered "mainstream" instead of a subset of science fiction that legitimate authors occasionally dip their beaks into.

Wouldn't that just as likely lead to the banning of it or something? I doubt For All Time had authors like Turtledove getting major book deals more often.

Wouldn't that just as likely lead to the banning of it or something? I doubt For All Time had authors like Turtledove getting major book deals more often.

Not as bad as For All Time, short of nuclear war I doubt human history could ever plausibly go that badly wrong! As long as at least some of the world has a free press you might see more utopian/escapist literature appear.

Not as bad as For All Time, short of nuclear war I doubt human history could ever plausibly go that badly wrong! As long as at least some of the world has a free press you might see more utopian/escapist literature appear.

I do need to read that, however it's a pain for some bizarre reason to find a link to it, which makes little sense but... ehh. I just know of it from its reputation of being one of the darkest non-apocalypse timelines ever.

FDW

Banned
Have IAN agree to let the New York Times do an article about the site. (If you look through IAN's posts, he actually mentioned this offer coming up once, he declined it because he didn't want the publicity.

d32123

Banned
Have Newt Gingrich become President and have his alternate history novels become bestsellers because of it.

Wonder if there are any best-celling authors/film directors out there who could plausibly become interested in Ah?

I think someone posted a thread on here quite a while ago about Winston Churchill retiring from Parliament in the 1930's to write more, eventually becoming most well-known for his several alternate history books.

Let's say that during his "wilderness years", he becomes interested in Ah somehow, writing a series of Alternate History Novels, that at the time receive limited attention. At this time he did write quite a few regular historical novels, but I can see Churchill as an Ah writer somehow.

His parliamentary career remains the same as OTL throughout the 1930's-he still leads the anti-appeasement campaign and succeeds Chainberlain in 1940.

Things progress more or less the same as OTL until 1950, when Labour win a larger majority in the commons than they did historically. With not much chance of becoming Prime Minister again, Churchill resigns as leader of the opposition, becoming a backbencher.

In the final 15 years of his life Churchill devotes much of his time to writing more Alternate History books, which he decides not to publish at the time.

Churchill dies in 1965 like OTL, which sparks off a cult interest in Churchill's writings. His Ah novels attract particular attention at this stage, most notably by a famous film director (any ideas who?). Eventually Churchill's Ah novells are reissued, becoming best-cellers. Churchill's post World War II Novel about the Nazi's winning World War II is famously remade in to a film and becomes the biggest blockbuster of the 1960's.

This leads the producers of DR Who to consider concentrating on the historical aspect of the programme. The late 60's/early 70's sees many films/novels based on Alternate History scenarios (some dystopic though others have more of an escapest nature).

This is a very rough outline-perhaps it might do the trick though.

Hmm... I'd say more mainstream. SS-GB, Fatherland, A Connecticut Yankee, etc. Are pretty mainstream.

Make Wells' AH stuff more popular is a good POD.

Wonder if there are any best-celling authors/film directors out there who could plausibly become interested in Ah?

I think someone posted a thread on here quite a while ago about Winston Churchill retiring from Parliament in the 1930's to write more, eventually becoming most well-known for his several alternate history books.

Let's say that during his "wilderness years", he becomes interested in Ah somehow, writing a series of Alternate History Novels, that at the time receive limited attention. At this time he did write quite a few regular historical novels, but I can see Churchill as an Ah writer somehow.

His parliamentary career remains the same as OTL throughout the 1930's-he still leads the anti-appeasement campaign and succeeds Chainberlain in 1940.

Things progress more or less the same as OTL until 1950, when Labour win a larger majority in the commons than they did historically. With not much chance of becoming Prime Minister again, Churchill resigns as leader of the opposition, becoming a backbencher.

In the final 15 years of his life Churchill devotes much of his time to writing more Alternate History books, which he decides not to publish at the time.

Churchill dies in 1965 like OTL, which sparks off a cult interest in Churchill's writings. His Ah novels attract particular attention at this stage, most notably by a famous film director (any ideas who?). Eventually Churchill's Ah novells are reissued, becoming best-cellers. Churchill's post World War II Novel about the Nazi's winning World War II is famously remade in to a film and becomes the biggest blockbuster of the 1960's.

This leads the producers of DR Who to consider concentrating on the historical aspect of the programme. The late 60's/early 70's sees many films/novels based on Alternate History scenarios (some dystopic though others have more of an escapest nature).

This is a very rough outline-perhaps it might do the trick though.

Winston Churchill actually wrote an alternate history story. In fact it was a DBWI story called "If Lee Had Not Won the Battle of Gettysburg". It was part of a collection of stories/essays called "If It Had Happened Otherwise". Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_It_Had_Happened_Otherwise

Wolfpaw

Banned
Turn it into a film/television genre. One big blockbuster early on could be enough.

A "WI the CSA won?" movie would probably do well in the Civil Rights era, for example.