AHC: Likely Points/Names of Danish Colonization in Africa?

Inspired by the "what would the French/Portuguese name things in North America" thread, I was wondering if Denmark were to get into the Scramble for Africa (thanks to Helstat nationalism), where would likely points of colonization be? Names for towns/settlements (I'm thinking a lot of variations on Christiansted/Christiania/Christianborg, but I could be wrong).

@Jürgen @Zulfurium @Milites @Bastiram @arctic warrior

Eastern and northern Ghana and Togo likely also Burkino Faso, it would simply called the Danish Gold Coast. If I remember correctly Denmark also had mission in Cameroon, so that’s another place we could see a Danish colony.

A lot of Frederiks- and Christians- names - maybe also some female names from whatever queen or princess is around at the time of founding, probably also Kongs- (King's) and the like. Endings would likely follow the -stad, -bjerg, -by, -borg etc. One thing that might be a bit unique is that Danish colonies could borrow from local names - as happened in India with the town of Frederiksnagore. Denmark was also surprisingly willing to construct more complex building and institutional structures in their colonies - Frederiksnagore contained the third-oldest Danish university for example.

I agree with Zulfurium’s points.

(thanks to Helstat nationalism)

Sorry for being pedantic, but Helstat nationalism is a bit of an oxymoron. The Danish unitary state was tied to the concept of state patriotism where the various German, Norwegian (1773-1814) and Danish parts of the state were held together by loyalty to the king and not by “ethnic nationalism” as emerged after the 1830s.

Certainly is an odd place by the look of it, @Zulfurium . The Wikipedia page claims the governor was trying to make it a tourist town, though it doesn’t cite sources on that. As others mentioned, I would say Ghana would be good because, like with this Indian town, there would be an ample consumer base around. Well, assuming they didn’t get too intense with exporting slaves. As those were usually brought from further inland though, the coast probably wouldn’t have as much of a problem. Still, the colonies were a money sink, so having one or multiple compact ethnic groups who can run the show as protectorates would be best for the Danes. Really though, they didn’t have the money needed to get ships and soldiers over there. Seems the Danish Gold Coast was mostly abaondned due to the Ashanti taking out Danish trading partners, though not sure how bad I feel on that if they were trading in slaves. Also seems the Danes failed making plantations down there. If they managed to get coastal plantations they should at least manage to get some cash from it, though other empires probably would have provided all the Danes might need by the time of the Berlin Conference. The Danes need to have something on the ground then if they want to get any land. Sure Belgium got some second hand, but that was because Leopoldo managed to fool people into thinking he actually wanted to protect Africans.

Last edited:
Ghana. Denmark achtualy had colonies in Ghana, before selling them to the British.
Eastern and northern Ghana and Togo likely also Burkino Faso, it would simply called the Danish Gold Coast. If I remember correctly Denmark also had mission in Cameroon, so that’s another place we could see a Danish colony.

I knew about the Danish Gold Coast (and I think it would be awesome if the Dutch, Brandenburger-Prussian and Swedish Gold Coasts all existed in different parts of that section of west Africa at the same time, rather than all being sort of "on top of one another" - but that's a matter for a different thread), not about Cameroon. Any ideas for how to expand the region?

A lot of Frederiks- and Christians- names - maybe also some female names from whatever queen or princess is around at the time of founding, probably also Kongs- (King's) and the like. Endings would likely follow the -stad, -bjerg, -by, -borg etc. One thing that might be a bit unique is that Danish colonies could borrow from local names - as happened in India with the town of Frederiksnagore. Denmark was also surprisingly willing to construct more complex building and institutional structures in their colonies - Frederiksnagore contained the third-oldest Danish university for example.

So, regarding names, sort of like the Portuguese with Sao [whatever] de [local name] then?

And the infrastructure part is interesting. Britain established universities in the 13 colonies (College of WIlliam and Mary), but I'm unaware that they replicated this feat in say, Canada or India or South Africa (IIRC all of the South African universities founded pre-1910 were founded by Afrikaaners anyway, even if they were in British territory - like Stellenbosch).

orry for being pedantic, but Helstat nationalism is a bit of an oxymoron. The Danish unitary state was tied to the concept of state patriotism where the various German, Norwegian (1773-1814) and Danish parts of the state were held together by loyalty to the king and not by “ethnic nationalism” as emerged after the 1830s.

My apologies, was going off the title of another thread:

Certainly is an odd place by the look of it, @Zulfurium . The Wikipedia page claims the governor was trying to make it a tourist town, though it doesn’t cite sources on that. As others mentioned, I would say Ghana would be good because, like with this Indian town, there would be an ample consumer base around. Well, assuming they didn’t get too intense with exporting slaves. As those were usually brought from further inland though, the coast probably wouldn’t have as much of a problem. Still, the colonies were a money sink, so having one or multiple compact ethnic groups who can run the show as protectorates would be best for the Danes. Really though, they didn’t have the money needed to get ships and soldiers over there. Seems the Danish Gold Coast was mostly abaondned due to the Ashanti taking out Danish trading partners, though not sure how bad I feel on that if they were trading in slaves. Also seems the Danes failed making plantations down there. If they managed to get coastal plantations they should at least manage to get some cash from it, though other empires probably would have provided all the Danes might need by the time of the Berlin Conference. The Danes need to have something on the ground then if they want to get any land. Sure Belgium got some second hand, but that was because Leopoldo managed to fool people into thinking he actually wanted to protect Africans.

Slaves need a market to be exported to. Denmark's colonial empire was nowhere near as expansive as the British, French, Portuguese or Spanish, so while I could see Danes serving as middlemen, I think those powers would have their own slaving expeditions - except in times of war when à la the Austrian Trieste Companies they'd likely be able to pick up the slack. Which means slavery would likely be to local allies or fellow Danes. And, since, as you point out, the Danes (much like the Dutch) didn't have much of a European demand for slaves in Denmark/Netherlands, only use for slaves would be in Danish India or the Danish Virgin Islands (which IIRC, likewise lack a plantation economy like Haiti or Brasil). So, they'd need something "more", like ivory, coffee, gold, rubber in the area

Bimbia - by 1802 the Danish Governor on Guinea Coast Johan Wriesberg acquired the rights of the site. Plan was to run plantations but as in Ghana it was too little too late.
Had the Danes been doing more than a mere trails plantation by 1788 in Ghana which didn't last even if the produce was realized to be good and further plantations set up as late as 1840 only one would show a surplus making it all look like a money sink.
As for names - Bimbia as it was obtained as the Crown Prince Frederick (6) took the reins in Denmark-Norway might be named Fredericksstrand due to its being on the coast the King being mad and the Queen in exile!

For other placenames in Ghana/Gold Coast the existing forts may lend theirs - Frederiksborg, Christiansborg, Augustaborg, Kongensten and Prinsensten.