AHC: Kitakyo (北京) and Dongjing (东京)

The literal translations for Beijing and Tokyo are Northern Capital and Eastern Capital respectively. Your challenge is to move China’s center of power farther east and Japan’s to the north.

Well, Nanjing is at a more eastern longitude than Beijing is, and it's certainly plausible as alternative Chinese capital cites go.

The literal translations for Beijing and Tokyo are Northern Capital and Eastern Capital respectively. Your challenge is to move China’s center of power farther east and Japan’s to the north.

Well, Nanjing is at a more eastern longitude than Beijing is, and it's certainly plausible as alternative Chinese capital cites go.

I think a northern Capital for Japan is straight out impossible, unless you get a Dark Horse Uesugi Shogunate that keeps Kasyuama-jo as site of an importance somehow, otherwise you have the Date or Nanbu as contenders. However wouldn't Xian or Luo Yang fit the bill for an Eastern Capital?

Keep Kaifeng as capital. Kaifeng was literally known as Eastern Capital during the Song Dynasty. That or have a dynasty that originally have a capital in Luoyang or Chang’an move the capital to somewhere east due to some reason. The Eastern Jin Dynasty was known as that despite being a southern based dynasty because it’s original capital was in Luoyang and it was moved ‘south-EAST’ to modern day Nanjing.

Early conquest and incorporation of Hokkaido into Japan during the Heian era and then Mongols conquer most, but not all of Japan. The Kanto Plain is unconquered and remains Japanese, but Tokyo Bay faces occasional raids by the Mongols/their Japanese puppets and isn't centrally located enough for loyalist nobles in Hokkaido so the capital can't be located there. Instead they set up their capital in Mutsu Province at Tagajo near modern Sendai, thanks to its defensibility and relative remoteness from the frontier.

wasnt kyoto the capital of japan until the 1860's(i know that the shogunate was based in tokyo but it wasnt the official capital since the emperor was in kyoto)
i dont think it can be moved further north it is in a pretty central location all things considered(perhaps have a clan that is further north gain the shogunate or never move the center of power from kyoto )

Last edited:
wasnt kyoto the capital of japan until the 1860's(i know that the shogunate was based in tokyo but it wasnt the official capital since the emperor was in kyoto)
i dont think it can be moved further north it is in a pretty central location all things considered(perhaps have a clan that is further north gain the shogunate or never move the center of power from kyoto)
What about Nobunaga building his headquarters in the north of Lake Biwa and succeeding in unifying Japan? In otl Azuchi castle was a bit to the north,but overall more to the east of Kyoto.

I think a northern Capital for Japan is straight out impossible, unless you get a Dark Horse Uesugi Shogunate that keeps Kasyuama-jo as site of an importance somehow, otherwise you have the Date or Nanbu as contenders. However wouldn't Xian or Luo Yang fit the bill for an Eastern Capital?
Even Date and Nanbu wouldn't concentrate their power in in the north, it is a harsh, impoverished, remote place, Sendai and Akita are too far from pretty much every center of power in Japan.