AHC: Jodie Foster as Princess Leia

One of the actresses considered for Princess Leia in Star Wars none other than teen actress Jodie Foster -- it seems Lucas and company asked for her, but she had scheduling conflicts and couldn't take the part. With the latest possible PoD,* how could this casting have happened? And how would the Star Wars franchise have been affected in having its key female character aged down so significantly?

*just to keep things interesting, try to at least come after the Summer of 1975 when Taxi Driver filmed ;)

One of the actresses considered for Princess Leia in Star Wars none other than teen actress Jodie Foster -- it seems Lucas and company asked for her, but she had scheduling conflicts and couldn't take the part. With the latest possible PoD,* how could this casting have happened? And how would the Star Wars franchise have been affected in having its key female character aged down so significantly?

*just to keep things interesting, try to at least come after the Summer of 1975 when Taxi Driver filmed ;)

The Romance with Luke will need to wait down to be less squicky, maybe this saved us of the twin angle and the 'other' if ever convived is far different(maybe Han Solo but not related to luke?

jahenders

Banned
I don't think it's too much of a stretch. She would be 14-15 during filming, but had several roles where she was made to look older (though sometimes slutty older vs mature older). The only aspect that would be challenging is for her to be taken seriously as a senator, standing up to Darth and Tarkin, etc.

I think they could have pulled it off, she'd have been fabulous by the time they were working on Empire or Jedi, and she'd be perfect still for the new movie(s).

If they didn't do that, she could have worked as Amidala in the later 3 movies, perhaps even working to ensure her counterpart Anakin and the overall storyline are believable.

The Romance with Luke will need to wait down to be less squicky, maybe this saved us of the twin angle and the 'other' if ever convived is far different(maybe Han Solo but not related to luke?

That's the interesting twist there -- of course, it requires knowing how long Lucas was really planning on the Father/Son/Sister twists OTL (I recall Lucas saying somewhere that this was his plan from the beginning; he's clearly bullshitting though, as the OP evidence indicates).

I don't think it's too much of a stretch. She would be 14-15 during filming, but had several roles where she was made to look older (though sometimes slutty older vs mature older). The only aspect that would be challenging is for her to be taken seriously as a senator, standing up to Darth and Tarkin, etc.

Well 14; are the pre-1977 roles you referring here Taxi Driver and Freaky Friday? Because I wouldn't say she looks older in those films, so much as her character's mature behavior is supposed to contrast with her clear as day youth (for purposes of shock and comedy, respectively). She's just such an effective actress that she pulls it off convincingly, which is why I expect she'd have no trouble convincing viewers that she's a mature for her age Senator from Alderaan.

So Jodie Foster, who do we want as other alternative actors?
Lucas had worked with Ford on American Graffiti so not likely. Pacino was also too big by that point.

I think Kurt Russell is most likely myself, if for no other reason that he got as far as a screen test.

Also of note: both Kurt Russell and Jodie Foster were well known child actors. Not sure the significance of that change, since Star Wars was marketed to kids OTL as well...

"John Hinckley Electrocuted To Death Trying to Build "Light-Saber" In Garage For Unknown Reason"

LOL'd :D

That's the interesting twist there -- of course, it requires knowing how long Lucas was really planning on the Father/Son/Sister twists OTL (I recall Lucas saying somewhere that this was his plan from the beginning; he's clearly bullshitting though, as the OP evidence indicates).

There was no plan on Luke and Leia being siblings until Lucas decided that Jedi would be the last movie and had to figure out a way to backtrack on the "there is another" line that would have caused fans to demand a future movie be made.

Jodie Foster is an amazing actress, but the important consideration is what would be her chemistry with Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill. The on screen chemistry between Princess Leia and Han Solo is a major element of why Empire worked so well.

There was no plan on Luke and Leia being siblings until Lucas decided that Jedi would be the last movie and had to figure out a way to backtrack on the "there is another" line that would have caused fans to demand a future movie be made.

He also needed to solve the burgeoning love triangle between Luke, Leia, and Han. Of course the way he did it make a couple of scenes from Episodes IV and V downright creepy in a JC Andrews sort of way.

zookeeper

Banned
:) John Hinkley sneaks in to the set of star wars and tries to shoot Harison Ford no one is injured thankfully.Ronald Reagan loses relection.

"John Hinckley Electrocuted To Death Trying to Build "Light-Saber" In Garage For Unknown Reason"
It wouldn't say that, it would say "23-year old male found dead in garage after having tried to build a laser sword from Star Trek"
:) John Hinkley sneaks in to the set of star wars and tries to shoot Harison Ford no one is injured thankfully.Ronald Reagan loses relection.

Ok, that's enough of that.