AHC: Have the Philippinesremain a US Commonwealth

With a POD of your choice, have the Philippines remain a willing US Commonwealth beyond its recognition of independence in 1946 and last up to 2014. Having it become a state (or split in to multiple states) down the line is up to you.

Edit: Could an admin fix the thread title please?

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
With a POD of your choice, have the Philippines remain a willing US Commonwealth beyond its recognition of independence in 1946 and last up to 2014. Having it become a state down the line is up to you.

Edit: Could an admin fix the thread title please?

Most likely, if it enters the Union, it comes as multiple states. Too big for one state.

Most likely, if it enters the Union, it comes as multiple states. Too big for one state.

Due to the OP requirements philippines would start with 7m in 1900 or 20m in 1945 population. Philippine land area otl is roughly Arizonas size. This means iphilippines will be the 6 or 7 th us state in land area. So, I don't know how you define it being too big for a state.

Driftless

Donor
Due to the OP requirements philippines would start with 7m in 1900 or 20m in 1945 population. Philippine land area otl is roughly Arizonas size. This means iphilippines will be the 6 or 7 th us state in land area. So, I don't know how you define it being too big for a state.

Alaska was about 200,000 when it became a state in 1959, and I'm not sure if it's broken a million today even. From a land area, it's larger than many countries

Some parts of both North and South Dakota have recently had population densities below "Frontier level" of less than 6 persons per square mile. Some of that has recently changed with the oil boom.

IF the Philippines were to come on as a state(s), it might be to their advantage politically to divide it up somewhat: Two Senators per state, and the House Representation is apportioned by population. Maybe Luzon forms the core of one state, the Visayas another, and Mindanao a third group. Something along those lines.

Last edited:
Having the Philippine islands become states would be the only way to get them to stick with us.

Population, of course! A state with a quarter of the country’s population just doesn’t work.

A quarter? What math are you doing? Philippines population in 1945 is almost the same as New York state in 1945. Usa was around 140m by 1945. So I don't know where you are getting your computation. oTl Philippines would remain betwen 20M-30M until 1963-Of course that isn't under US management anymore. Philippines under US management won't reach 100m just like otl today. However, it will get higher per capita than otl.

The issue with multiple philippine states is further subdivided, visyas or mindanao during those times would have a small population with small land area which contradicts small population large land area by frontier states like Nebraska or Alaska. Although i admit it can still can happen.