AHC: Have Sonny Bono elected President

Sonny Bono's career is an interesting one, from being part of one of the most iconic 70s music duos to serving in the U.S. Congress. He would ultimately die at the age of 62 in a skiing accident. How would you go about not only preventing this accident, but having Bono ascend to the Presidency?

Get him renewed public-exposure via a reality show, have him harp on about a few issues(trade, factory closures etc) that no one else is addressing effectively, enter the GOP primary in a season when all the other contenders are losers, then put him up against an entitled Democrat whose only argument for running is "It's my turn!!" And voila.

Granted, that's all pretty hypothetical. Probably ASB.

Seriously, though, as a washed-up celebrity(let's not forget, John Waters cast him in Hairspray as a joke) turned insignificant congressman, I think he would need a niche issue to grab the public's attention. And this is probably the closest he came to having one in his lifetime. But I don't know how you get the voters worked up about what, in most cases, amounts to copyright protection for millionaires. I think public opinion on such issues would run from about Who Cares? to Why CAN'T My Kids Use Huckleberry Hound For Their Christmas Pageant?

And the whole Scientology thing isn't gonna help him, either. He'd need to quit that, which would likely mean they try in some way to sabotage his future career plans.

Last edited:
Looking at some of his old congressional speeches, I don't think he'd have a good style for national exposure. There IS kind of an appealing everyman quality about him, but he ultimately comes off like a dweeby salesman sitting at the counter of a near-empty bar and haranguing the bartender about what was on the 6 o'clock news.

“And The Beat Goes On” is the title for this TL.

I see the movie ending with a slow-motion assassination scene(maybe outside the Capitol building, with aides and passersby jumping away in horror), scored to this.

Maybe some smalltime midwest amusement-park owner who had spent tons of cash on converting to a Mickey Mouse theme, before the copyright was extended by Sonny's law, drives to DC looking for revenge.