AHC: Have England win the most World Cups

FWIW One

England sort of won the World Cup in 1909 and 1911 which increases the total from one to three.

I wrote sort of because it wasn't the FIFA World Cup it was the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy rather than the FIFA World Cup and it was won by West Auckland Town F.C. rather than England's national team.

FWIW Two

Tyne Tees Television made a docudrama about it in 1982 that starred Dennis Waterman of The Sweeney and Minder fame.

I've no idea how historically accurate it is. However, it is very entertaining. I know this because (by coincidence) I finished watching it on Vimeo earlier this morning.
It's a VHS recording which explains the poor quality of the picture and sound.
Never even heard of that trophy, and it's a club competition. I guess the Olympics would have a lot more credibility to be considered a worldwide title than a competition that is pretty much forgotten nowadays, i believe that Great Britain actually won three olympic medals in the early XX century. Have them be recognized as a World Cup equivalent before 1930 and there you go (even though i believe it to be a stretch, it's not that implausible, and there is some logic to it).

If Ronaldinho doesn't score that legendary goal against England, and still manages to be somehow kicked out of the game, it's conceivable that the English team could have pulled a win against us. They did not have a better team, but obviously is much tougher to play with only ten players, butterfly effect should take care of that. After that, they would have to deal with Turkey and Germany (or maybe even Korea even the butterflies AND the referee are kind enough), not at all a impossible feat.

The uruguayan team in 1930 was fairly strong (they were the Olympic bi-champions, don't forget that), and Italy really played hard in both 1934 and 1938. And there were other good teams that could put a good game against England, like Argentina (probably the best team aside from 1982 Brazil and Puskas's Hungary to not win a World Cup, especially in the 40s), Czechoslovakia, Austria before the Anchluss, Brazil in 1938, etc.

Edit: grammar, and a brief explanation of the 30s context.

Last edited:
I would suggest the 'easiest' way to do this is avoid the Munich air disaster in 1958.
Many believe England would have won the World Cup later that year, thus removing Brazil's first win. I have been told by someone who saw the last game he played in England before the fateful trip that Duncan Edwards was the best England player he ever saw, so the team may have developed with him as the fulcrum. This sets the team up for the 1960's and may also mean there is a change in style of English football.
Other more obvious ways to try to boost the total number of wins include removing Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, and having Gazza wear much longer studs in 1990.
None of this guarantees tournament wins of course.

There is always the American solution declare the "Home Internationals" a "World Series" with the winners the "World Champions" 😛