AHC: Have a state that is majority native and dominated by natives to rule over a substantial non-native population

While there are quite a bit of threads trying to change the historical fate of the various native tribes and kingdoms of the Americas, I want to go one step further. Your challenge is to find a way for a state that culturally is undisputably Native American in government and population, rule over a substantial non-native population. Bonus points if it is a nation with roots in the Pre-Columbian era.

Last edited:
1.If you have a native Empire grow out of the mouth of the Amazon River, you could have them preform a reversal of the voyage to the Amazon River supposedly conducted by mali in order for a native empire to set up in west Africa and along the gold coast. In theory if this happens early enough it provides a outlet for oldworld tech to make its way to the new world.
2. Through earlier contact between the pacific islanders and a earlier Inca (like) Empire you might be able to support a campaign of reverse Island hopping across what could become a possible Inca pacific island Empire. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-53338203

Last edited:
have the US respect the Treaty of Fort Laramie (1851) and the Sioux remain independent. Over the years Americans would move in on the borders or for the Gold. today theres 170,000~ Souix on earth so maybe like 100k in the nation. Today theres probably around 500k americans who live in those areas of wyoming, montana, the dakotas, and nebraska. the government would be run by the chiefs and the american lower class would be able to have the open land and make it profitable.

have the US respect the Treaty of Fort Laramie (1851) and the Sioux remain independent. Over the years Americans would move in on the borders or for the Gold. today theres 170,000~ Souix on earth so maybe like 100k in the nation. Today theres probably around 500k americans who live in those areas of wyoming, montana, the dakotas, and nebraska. the government would be run by the chiefs and the american lower class would be able to have the open land and make it profitable.
I don't really see that as plausible. If the Americans start settling there, the government will either ignore the treaty or force cessation of even more land. And if that happens, the Sioux are getting marginalized and put on reservations, and I don't think Americans would accept rule under a "savage" and a society that doesn't engage in agriculture. Also, the 100,000 estimate is ridiculously high, that's 1/3 or 1/4 of some estimates I've heard for the entire native population in the US at the time. That said, with an earlier POD, the periodic raiding by the Comanche, Sioux, and other Plains Nomads groups, could formalize into an extremely decentralized "rule" over certain towns.

The most plausible (but still very difficult) way for that to happen is decisive US defeat in the War of 1812 and preservation of the Tecumsah's Confederacy. Hell, might even want to turn it back earlier and have the Western Confederacy survive the US. Under a British protectorate, it will have enough time to form solid government structures but also will likely be swamped with white settlers given enough time. Natives will be a minority but through laws they'd pass would end up with disproportionate power and influence in the government and probably disproportionate amounts of wealth too and would have the British Empire to appeal to should whites attempt an overthrow of the government (which unfortunately is likely not to go their way).

On the Plains, the Sioux and others could remain independent through similar means and since the land is less desirable, they'd be able to avoid being overthrown by whites even if the country would still be 70-75% white.

Unfortunately, that's not a "majority native" nor is it "dominated by natives" since whites would still have a huge role in government. However, I think it's possible a surviving Inca Empire that successfully reformed would have a decent amount of immigrants since like OTL Peru, they'd have a constant demand for more labour in the mines. There'd be a small amount of middle-class Europeans involved in management of mines and factories and a substantial population of mostly Chinese immigrants involved in mining and other labour. I could see 10-15% of the late 19th century Inca population being non-indigenous.

Paraguay is pretty close to this IOTL. The Guarani language is spoken by most of the population, including people with no native ancestry.

The Neo-Inca state centered in Vilcabamba somehow survives and, in the mid 17th century, takes advantage of Spanish weakness and restores the Inca Empire while the Habsburgs are busy fighting the Dutch Revolt, the Thirty Years War, France and Portugal. Such a state would inevitably share a lot of characteristics with Spain, since they would basically take over the Viceroyalty of Peru, but it'd still be led by a Sapa Inca who can trace his lineage to men such as Huayna Capac and Pachacuti.

Last edited:
Paraguay is pretty close to this IOTL. The Guarani language is spoken by most of the population, including people with no native ancestry.
But can you argue Paraguay is majority native? AFAIK it's technically majority European(althought it's close to 50/50) and the population is mixed enough that there is no real properly native population, it's almost the perfect mestizo country, being 50/50 ancestrally and bilingual.

But can you argue Paraguay is majority native? AFAIK it's technically majority European(althought it's close to 50/50) and the population is mixed enough that there is no real properly native population, it's almost the perfect mestizo country, being 50/50 ancestrally and bilingual.

It falls in a gray area, I would say. It may not fulfill all the criteria in the OP, but it does in a very crucial respect (language). It is remarkable how the language has been embraced by the whole population.

The Neo-Inca state centered in Vilcabamba somehow survives and, in the mid 17th century, takes advantage of Spanish weakness and restores the Inca Empire while the Habsburgs are busy fighting the Dutch Revolt, the Thirty Years War, France and Portugal. Such a state would inevitably share a lot of characteristics with Spain, since they would basically take over the Viceroyalty of Peru, but it'd still be led by a Sapa Inca who can trace his lineage to men such as Huayna Capac and Pachacuti.
I think it would be better to either have the Inca civil war not happen, or Manco Inca succeed in his rebellion. More of the Pre-Hispanic governmental structure and culture is intact, but it sets the stage for populations of Spanish merchants, missionaries, and mercenaries to get established. One idea I had was to have the Inca import African slaves en masse to mitigate their losses from disease, while carefully organizing them into new ayllus to assimilate them. Such populations would also be useful in keeping the subjugated tribes in line.

I think it would be better to either have the Inca civil war not happen, or Manco Inca succeed in his rebellion. More of the Pre-Hispanic governmental structure and culture is intact, but it sets the stage for populations of Spanish merchants, missionaries, and mercenaries to get established. One idea I had was to have the Inca import African slaves en masse to mitigate their losses from disease, while carefully organizing them into new ayllus to assimilate them. Such populations would also be useful in keeping the subjugated tribes in line.
Yeah, having Manco Inca retake Cusco is a much more plausible idea, I just went with Vilcabamba surviving longer and recreating the empire at the first opportunity because of just how epic having a giant empire be reborn because of an isolated city sounded.

I don't know if the bolded part is possible, considering that the Tawantinsuyu is on the Pacific coast. Easier to not have the native population crash as badly as it did due to no conquistadors exploiting and abusing them.