AHC: Have a Protestant England with a successful Katherine

The challenge is have Queen Katherine, first wife of Henry VIII, produce a surviving son (maybe have Henry's OTL children by his other wives be born from her) but England still break ties with the Papacy and become protestant before 1650. Withouth a dynastic change or revolution (so no overtrow of catholic monarchs)

The challenge is have Queen Katherine, first wife of Henry VIII, produce a surviving son (maybe have Henry's OTL children by his other wives be born from her) but England still break ties with the Papacy and become protestant before 1650. Withouth a dynastic change or revolution (so no overtrow of catholic monarchs)
Well that is truly difficult to do as both Netherlands and Scotland in OTL were pushed/helped by England in becoming protestant countries

The obvious solution is to make Catherine's son convert to Protestantism for whatever reason.

Maybe have her be so disturbed by some of the church's corruption that Catherine herself becomes a protestant. Yes, I know this is implausible but her mother Isabella seems to have sympathized with Girolamo Savonarola who was a sort of proto-protestant.

The best option would be to have Arthur, Prince of Wales survive to adulthood and become king.

Butterfly away the sweating sickness and have him live until 1530. Not kidding, a Catherine who did not endure half a dozen years in neglect until Henry became king and has several living children is a Catherine who might be more aminable to protestantism, at least to the degree that she can welcome some changes into the catholic church of england. She won't have the iron grip of faith that carried her trough the worst period of her life then. Good place to start.

The best option would be to have Arthur, Prince of Wales survive to adulthood and become king.

Butterfly away the sweating sickness and have him live until 1530. Not kidding, a Catherine who did not endure half a dozen years in neglect until Henry became king and has several living children is a Catherine who might be more aminable to protestantism, at least to the degree that she can welcome some changes into the catholic church of england. She won't have the iron grip of faith that carried her trough the worst period of her life then. Good place to start.
Agreed. Then have her son marry a gal with Protestant sympathies.

Maybe have her be so disturbed by some of the church's corruption that Catherine herself becomes a protestant. Yes, I know this is implausible but her mother Isabella seems to have sympathized with Girolamo Savonarola who was a sort of proto-protestant.
Isabella however carried out a mini-Reformation of the Spanish church already before Protestantism came around, and had done it mostly utilizing royal authority to reform the same practices that the Council of Trent would later fix on a broader scale (illiterate and immoral clergy, the use of Church offices for questionably financial practices, too much materialism, unclear lines of hierarchy, temporal and ecclesiastical power conflicts sapping support for both among the nobility), as well as mobilizing her Kingdom's population in an ideological program of religious nationalism and enforced conformity among the Conversos and non-Christians (or face exile).

Spain never saw a Protestant movement because the impetus for the movement was squashed preemptively.

Katherine grew up in that environment and already immensely distrusted clergymen she found wanting in the values her parents had tried to reform the Spanish Church with (most prominently Wolsey). For her to go Protestant, I think that would require a different Spanish experience in the 1480s and 1490s from what happened in OTL.

Catherine of Aragon was, by all accounts, a rather lovely and reasonable lady. Very faithful to her Catholic faith, though. I don't think she'd be that thrilled about a break with Rome.

Though England could have gone majority-Protestant, Henry made it as a pragmatic decision to secure an heir for himself. It might be butterflied away entirely, or moved to a later period, several decades later, which itself could produce interesting results in terms of domestic Protestant development. You might wind up with an England and Wales, at the very least, that might be less Anglican (i.e. generally Catholic in tone) and more in line with continental Protestant churches.

Anne Boleyn? For irony's sake.

Very ironic indeed.

I believe that would not be enough for having a Catherine tolerant of Protestantism, sure she would be less fanatic but still pretty much against heretics of any kind

Last edited:
Catherine of Aragon was, by all accounts, a rather lovely and reasonable lady. Very faithful to her Catholic faith, though. I don't think she'd be that thrilled about a break with Rome.

Is that sarcasm? I recall there being a vote on which of Henry VIII's wives would you wanna go out for drinks with and the only ones who fared WORSE than Catalina was dull-as-ditchwater Jane Seymour and the equally "pious" Kathryn Parr. Anne Boleyn and Kitty Howard predictably led the pack.

Catalina was proud/arrogant, bigoted to any views that weren't her own (see her general anti-French stance). She was ruthless (look at what she did to James IV) and capable (she did such a great job of being regent that Henry never entrusted her with the job again). Not warm and cuddly, but certainly capable.

A fun way could simply be to have her son become disillusioned with Catholicism à la Anna Waza when her mom died or Ludwig I of Bavaria after seeing how poorly the Catholic clergy behaved at his Protestant stepmom's funeral. OP never said Catalina had to still be alive when her son converts. Could even be a ruling grandson of hers that converts. Her son is maybe too hardline Catholic (à la Mary Tudor), his son is more like Elizabeth (nominally Catholic but "not wishing to make windows into men's souls")