AHC : ground warfare on the US mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a POD ranging from 1900 to 2020, have foreign troops (a civil war doesn't count) land on American soil (US mainland only, territories like Guam or Puerto Rico don't count, Alaska and Hawaii only count once they gain statehood). This attack can be a ground-based raid, a border clash, or an (partial or full-scale) invasion (sabotage and infiltration operations don't count). You will of course have to make it credible (military power, tactics, logistics, goal and extent of the attack, diplomacy...).

EDIT : Of course, it doesn't have to go full Red Dawn, it can be just, for example, Cuban special forces raiding Key West.

Happened OTL. The Border War saw Mexican revolutionaries clashed on the border and attacked a town.

Besides that, I don't really see anything else. The Kaiserliche Marine wouldn't have gotten out of the North Sea, and the Kriegsmarine didn't even have the capacity to invade Britain. Any attempt to invade the United States by the Soviet Union would probably provoke nuclear war.

Anything after the fall of the Soviet Union and today (Future belongs in the FH forum) is ASB.

Happened OTL. The Border War saw Mexican revolutionaries clashed on the border and attacked a town.

Besides that, I don't really see anything else. The Kaiserliche Marine wouldn't have gotten out of the North Sea, and the Kriegsmarine didn't even have the capacity to invade Britain. Any attempt to invade the United States by the Soviet Union would probably provoke nuclear war.

Anything after the fall of the Soviet Union and today (Future belongs in the FH forum) is ASB.
Well done for the Border War. And as I say, the attacker doesn't have to try to send its entire marine there, it can be just a few transport planes / submarines sneaking into US territory and wreaking havoc.

Well done for the Border War. And as I say, the attacker doesn't have to try to send its entire marine there, it can be just a few transport planes / submarines sneaking into US territory and wreaking havoc.
But, to what I said above, why? In the range of time you provided, the United States is sufficiently strong and powerful enough to not be, well, fucked with.

I mean, I'm sure you could have the Kriegsmarine have a bit more of an aggressive U-Boat policy on the United States, with U-Boats going close to harbors and sinking ships at port, or shelling a port town or two. That wouldn't be too ASB.

Russians? Alaska Raid during Able Archer?

Can't seem to link to the Able Archer thread but couldn't the USSR raid Alaska in force at the start of that?

Can anyone think of a way for the US and Britain (+ dominions including Canada of course) to fall out in a big enough way for their to be a war between the two countries that results in invasion via Canada in the early to mid 1930s?

Can anyone think of a way for the US and Britain (+ dominions including Canada of course) to fall out in a big enough way for their to be a war between the two countries that results in invasion via Canada in the early to mid 1930s?

Fascist Britain with Canada following suit? Kinda hard, I think.

Perhaps a scuffle around the Bering Straits between Russia and US forces maybe due to a navigation error during an exercise?

But, to what I said above, why? In the range of time you provided, the United States is sufficiently strong and powerful enough to not be, well, fucked with.

I mean, I'm sure you could have the Kriegsmarine have a bit more of an aggressive U-Boat policy on the United States, with U-Boats going close to harbors and sinking ships at port, or shelling a port town or two. That wouldn't be too ASB.

They could alsotry to execute Operational Plan 3

Fascist Britain with Canada following suit? Kinda hard, I think.
I was thinking more along the lines of the US provoking a conflict by adopting a more aggressive financial foreign policy towards European nations and possibly border skirmishes between themselves and the Canadians relating to smuggling.

Again not really invasion of the US. In such a scenario its unlikely the Canadian are on the offensive

Again not really invasion of the US. In such a scenario its unlikely the Canadian are on the offensive
Sorry didn't explain so well here ... the warring nations would be Britain and the US ... Britain uses Canada as a base of operations. Britain has help from the Commonwelth nations; Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa etc.

Fascist League of Nations attacks US

Nazis is what you want isn't it?

Personally I think fascist US invading Canada after the Generals plot is a lot more likely but you want Nazi's on US soil. So here goes my pitch, bit like the Russian intervention in 1919.

Obviously bollocks but I'm doing my best

POD
Post WW1 the anti-British sentiment in US is mirrored over the Atlantic. US attempts to interfere with British Empire post WW1 are heavy handed and are diplomatic and political disaster.
US is now revealed as a direct threat to British and European interests world wide.

Early 1920s Britain leads a mass default on WW1 war debt to US and Britain and Commonwealth renew naval Alliance with Japan.

In US the Business Plot succeeds, an isolationist general becomes president instantly tearing up every economic agreement not to US advantage and issuing veiled threats to Canada

Britain defends Italy. Japan and Germany in League of Nations - League of Nations begins to morph into an ardently nationalist alliance. USSR leaves League of Nations.

Fast forward to 1940s..

1940 Germany absorbs Eastern Europe with British and French approval. A year later in 1941 a (totally insane - it's all totally insane I know) League of Nations alliance made up of what what we would call the Axis plus Britain and France, plots a military intervention to deal with the threat of the militarist government in Washington. They call it 'regime change'. A 'Police Action' to remove the current administration in Washington before they become more powerful to deal with.

Japanese attack on Pearl goes ahead, but this isn't just Japan committing suicide as in OTL it is a co-ordinated feint. With the US naval forces distracted...

British/Canadian armoured forces invade from the North. A sizable army (say the equiv of the Western Desert Force) supported by Mathilda IIs, RAF and RCAF attacks US airfields with Battles, Hurricanes and Spitfires and heads straight for Washington. US is mostly caught blinded as it is has been occupied by cultural warfare over race religion and continuing prohibition.

Meanwhile, while the Royal Navy keeps the US Atlantic Fleet busy, an Franco-German force lands the equivalent of an enlarged Afrika Korps in Louisiana.
French Foriegn Legion troops supported by Somua S35s head straight for New Orleans (perhaps the force lands here with the support of sympathisers).

And the the 'Amerika Korps', mostly Panzer IIIs let by Erwin Rommell, head for...

How fast can the USSR get lead-lease T34's down through Alaska?

Status
Not open for further replies.