AHC: Get Confucianism, Buddhism etc. influential in Europe

How could East Asian philosophical and religious teachings gain a large number of followers in Europe, and influence the society and politics? Large enough= tens of millions of followers.

There seems to have been at least some Buddhist presence in Rome; Buddhist statues were foumd at Pompeii and one of the church fathers IIRC referenced the "worshippers of the βουττα" in their writings.

Perhaps a Seleukid ruler pulls an Asoka and Buddhism spreads throughout the Hellenistic world, amplifying this trend?

I can see Buddhism become influential in Europe. Like it was mentioned earlier in thread Buddhism was known to Europe in Classical Antiquity. In addition, Schopenhauer himself was influenced by Buddhist thought so I can see Buddhism possibly influencing Classical philosophy. It would be very interesting to see Buddhism interact with Neoplatonism and Stoicism as well as Judaism.

Unless some Europeans translate Confucian texts and then also start a trend of Confucian-mania, I doubt Confucianism will catch on in Europe. Getting Confucianism to popular in Europe is going to be really really tough.

Butterfly Christianity. It'll make it way easier to allow Buddhism and other eastern philosophical schools to gain traction, as they can happily syncretise with assorted paganisms. I could see, later on, a pagan European state that makes direct contact with China choosing to promote Confucianism for its emphasis on social order.

You could probably have confucianism become more influential if you had some PODs in the 1500s or so.

Essentially have the Jesuits absolutely win out in the Chinese Rites Controversy and have Confucianism be considered a secular philosophy compatible with Catholicism.

This has the added benefit of the Chinese court being more favourable to a catholic presence in the country, which leads to an increase in inter cultural exchange.

From there, its just a matter of having as many confucian thinkers be translated as possible and have the proper proponents in Europe to make them popular

Have Genghis Khan or one of his descendants pull an Ashoka and turn to Buddhism. After that, he spreads it all the way from China to the Baltics