AHC: Germanic language as prestige language of post-Roman Europe

How do we make some Germanic langugae replace Latin as the dominant high/literary language of Europe before 1000?

It may be whatever. It may be Gothic, Frankish or something else altogether.

Last edited:
This happened much later.

I mean having a Germanic language fully replace Latin by 800-1000 AD.

Having a Christian church that uses a Bible in a Germanic language in place of Latin Vulgata should help a ton.

This happened much later.

I mean having a Germanic language fully replace Latin by 800-1000 AD.

Having a Christian church that uses a Bible in a Germanic language in place of Latin Vulgata should help a ton.
How? Unless rome is loss forever to nazareans, latin would be preferred them

It would be very hard for a Germanic language to replace Latin as the Lingua Franca so early on, almost impossible even. Most of the peoples that the Germans conquered were full of Roman citizens that spoke Latin, especially the upper class scholars, scribes, and priests that they had to rely on. Not to mention that states like the Carolingian Empire or the HRE prided themselves on being a successor to the old Roman Empire in some form or another, so inevitably they would use Latin in some upper level capacity.

In later periods, I believe that it would be more likely, as I think a German-dominated Europe like a HRE wank could lead to German replacing French or Spanish as the lingua franca during the Late Middle Ages or the Early Modern Period, but I can't say for sure.

Have one of the Foederati Kingdoms declare themselves as Emperor and be able to actually enforce such a claim after the fall of the WRE. The Visigoths can do it if you can somehow replace their national sport of Regicide with, well, anything else.

The Franks can do it if they push further against the Umayyads in the 800s but it's quite a tall order due to their infighting.

Didn't this kinda happen in this timeline?

It would be very hard for a Germanic language to replace Latin as the Lingua Franca so early on, almost impossible even. Most of the peoples that the Germans conquered were full of Roman citizens that spoke Latin, especially the upper class scholars, scribes, and priests that they had to rely on. Not to mention that states like the Carolingian Empire or the HRE prided themselves on being a successor to the old Roman Empire in some form or another, so inevitably they would use Latin in some upper level capacity.
The Slavs did that and replaced Greek and Latin speakers at large, especially from Slovania to Northern Serbia.