AHC: following 1991 fall of Soviet Union, U.S. conservatives become increasingly moderate.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . The Republicans largely did not shift and that made them look like extremists. As a social conservative I can't say I'd like the Republicans to move too much socially but there are degrees and tones that could be used more moderately. For that to happen, the country as a whole has to shift less. . .
Ronald Reagan supported immigration reform in 1986 which I think included an amnesty provision. George H.W. Bush supported a new Clean Air Bill in 1990 which was a mixed bag of both genuine improvement and a sop for industry.

True, on lesbian and gay rights, American culture largely shifted while the Republicans remained the same.

But all the same, if we run the numbers, I think there are more cases of conservatives and Republicans changing policies than there are of American culture changing.

Last edited:
While I'm in agreement with the argument that the rightward drift of the GOP doesn't have much to do with the fall of the Soviet Union, I'm going to try not to be so dismissive of the challenge. The challenge calls for conservatives to become increasingly moderate after the fall of the Soviet Union; so let's think of ways the collapse of the USSR might proactively influence the situation.

In many ways, there wasn't much keeping the Soviets from embracing some very conservative ideas. They embraced several IOTL already. Let's have them do it louder and more completely, with harsher punishments for rule-breakers.

By the 1980s conservatives in the US are stalled, unable to move rightward socially without pushing into "Pinko Territory." Meanwhile, the aged rulers of the Union are losing control and increase their repression campaigns against gays, women, minorities, etc. to a fever pitch. It gets kinda Cambodian for a little while, with defections going through the roof and the collapse of the Iron Curtain a much more chaotic affair.

But however it ends, it is clear to the world that what won, what caused the communists to overthrow their system, was the desire for Western, progressive values. The victory narrative forces conservatives to either embrace a (limited) acceptance of a progressive consensus, or to reject the evil of the Soviet system. I don't think they'd be willing to do this in the 1990s.

You'd need further events to maintain the trajectory for more than a decade or two, but that's true of most political trends.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . (And conservatives very much wanted to see the USSR fall.) Which is more likely--that you will see it as somehow a call to moderate your beliefs? Or as vindication of what you have always believed? I think the latter is far more likely.
David, usually we agree, so it's actually kind of interesting that we disagree. :)

Okay, the Republicans had a chance to govern and be a permanent majority party (at least for a generation). Why blow it by doubling down on the extreme positions of the hot heads and young bloods?

Or . . . you've probably heard in business that there are different stages: voice in the wildness, pioneer stage, . . ., then mature cash cow but not rapid growth. And once a business reaches this mature stage, it becomes surprisingly risk-averse. Why would it not be the same for a mature, (right at the brink of dominant) political party? There are also stages such as how to damage-control and make money out of a declining business

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Put Stone, Manafort, Rove, Gingrich, Trump, O'Reilly, Murdoch, Ailes, Limbaugh and Beck into an aircraft bound for an Antarctic island without water or food. Wait for some years before searching for survivors.
(I forgot Alex Jones, damn it)
You already have a warning for political related revenge fantasies, so we move to the next step.

Kicked for a Week.

Put Stone, Manafort, Rove, Gingrich, Trump, O'Reilly, Murdoch, Ailes, Limbaugh and Beck into an aircraft bound for an Antarctic island without water or food. Wait for some years before searching for survivors.
(I forgot Alex Jones, damn it)
Really? What have the penguins done to you that enough to justify inflicting that lot on 'em?
:openedeyewink: