AHC: European settlement in the Guyanas

If you go for late (19-20th century) immigration then yes, tropical disease would not be such problem.

Most of them are actually descended from early arrivals, a bit like Quebec. The 19th century mass immigration to Americas were heavily directed to the US, Canada, southern Brazil and Argentina.

Which means, that they have African and Native admixture.

I'd say so. It could range between 5%-20%. Over than that they'll be Mixed, which constitutes the vast majority of local population. And as Mixed, they all have European ancestors, indicating that Europeans can thrive on equatorial regions.

More recently and on smaller numbers, we have the Dutch in Indonesia. They peaked at 300,000, if I'm not mistaken. One can argue than unlikely the Whites on Amazon Basin, they were a transient population, seeing Indonesia as a colony only, not as their home, but it's still a sizeable number,

More recently and on smaller numbers, we have the Dutch in Indonesia. They peaked at 300,000, if I'm not mistaken. One can argue than unlikely the Whites on Amazon Basin, they were a transient population, seeing Indonesia as a colony only, not as their home, but it's still a sizeable number,
What kind of labor did they do? It's easier to avoid tropical diseases if you're working as a bureaucrat and not as a farmer.

What kind of labor did they do? It's easier to avoid tropical diseases if you're working as a bureaucrat and not as a farmer.

As the population is much smaller proportion and it was by no means a settler society, I'd guess it had a much more elitist character than the one on Amazonia.

And there's also Cuba, not equatorial, but a warm tropical island with a big White population.

Last edited: