AHC: European countries with significant East-Asian population

T
How can European countries be made to go down the path of South-American countries (Brazil, Paraguay, Peru...) and encourage Japanese/Korean/Chinese immigration, most commonly with the motive of helping local economies with an influx of hard-working people?

The U.K. has 1.6% of the population listed as other East Asian on the census and 4.9% south asian(Indian Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan) actually probably higher With other and mixed race.

BigBlueBox

Banned
A world war that kills a significant portion of Eastern Europe but still sees the triumph of liberal democracy there might then create immigration policy to boost the young population back up to pre-war levels, with East Asia being the most natural source, Africa and South Asia being more connected to Western Europe.
Immigrants don’t magically appear in any country that accepts them. They only go to wealthy, peaceful, and stable countries with job opportunities (or welfare). And I highly doubt that the countries of Eastern Europe are going to be welcoming foreigners any time soon after they finally establish homogeneity through the ethnic cleansing of Germans and other unwanted minorities.

Last edited:
If North Korea completly lost Korean War there would be Korean refugees living in countries of Eastern Block. There were some IOTL (for example Poland took 1200 Korean orphans during 1950s), but Kim called them back to Korea after war. If North Korea falls there would be more Koreans scattered in Eastern Europe and Kim would not call them back home.

If North Korea completly lost Korean War there would be Korean refugees living in countries of Eastern Block. There were some IOTL (for example Poland took 1200 Korean orphans during 1950s), but Kim called them back to Korea after war. If North Korea falls there would be more Koreans scattered in Eastern Europe and Kim would not call them back home.
Or if South Korea falls

How much do these people still cherish the Vietnamese language or dialects?

Why is that part of the criteria? Chinese, Japanese, and Korean communities in Latin America are Spanish (or in Brazil's case, Portuguese) speaking.

In any event, as many of these replies indicate, there are not-insignificant Asian communities in many European countries. Certainly in the UK and France and certainly smaller but reasonably high numbers in other countries like Germany, Sweden, The Netherlands, and Vietnamese communities in Portugal and the Czech Republic. The question is what level are you considering "substantial."

For Germany, you could perhaps have the gastarbeiter program oriented more towards, say, Koreans than Turks, or Chinese in a scenario where the KMT/GMT retains control of Mainland China.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Yes and no, IIRC they were treated as British subjects but didn't receive full citizenship or rights. Over the years things changed, and right towards the end the government introduced a new class to essentially stop large numbers of locals from moving to the UK after the handover. Not exactly our finest hour. @Sargon could tell you some tales about the joys of British nationality law.

This does seem like the easiest option for the UK.

Never going to happen. The lease on the New Territories was up—with Hong Kong Island and Kowloon being non-viable without them—so legally they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they tried to do so unilaterally, and no Chinese government Nationalist or Communist would agree to ceding it. Even if Britain hadn't felt that good relations with China were more important than retaining the colony all the Chinese would have to do was their own version of the Green March and it would have fallen into their lap whilst Britain looked the villain of the piece.

Oh, I certainly can. There was a new passport category called British National (Overseas) created. The passports look almost exactly the same as a British passport. When my wife went to open a bank account in the UK they assumed it WAS one until we pointed out it wasn't. Lucky we are honest.

This visa category is rather strange. Only Hongkongers born before the handover date can obtain one. It allows the holder to vote in all UK and UK-based EU elections, they can work for the civil service and they can stand as a candidate in elections. However, it does not allow the right of abode, and allows a person to stay for 6 months before they have to leave and presumably renew their stay.

This poses the question of if a holder can stand and be elected for Parliament, yet not have the right to live in the UK, then how does that add up? Well, you might say the Home Office would be, erm, pardon the pun, accommodating if that ever happened by fast-tracking the immigration process. Don't bet on it given the ramshackle nature of it being able to process stuff in a competent and timely fashion. As no BN(O) holder has made use of this perk and ever stood and won an election, I guess we're not going to find out the answer to this interesting question unless a holder does.

The real reason of course,, was to make it look like the British government was offering something to Hongkongers without wanting to face the issue of granting right of abode, and then have a lot of Hongkongers suddenly move to the UK. It is doubtful that would have happened. Sure, you would have seen an increase in people arriving, but no mass exodus.

Many people in Hong Kong, apart from having jobs, property and ways of life there, have family just over the border in mainland China, and probably would not wish to uproot unless things were looking to become really dire. Many wanted the insurance policy of a "just in case" option should things pan out badly in Hong Kong with China's administration of the place. You might say that is approaching in a way now, what with the recent incidents of booksellers being kidnapped, worries over PRC interference in HK's laws, and the general handling China has been shown to engage in while running the place. So maybe over the last few years, there would indeed have been a larger increase had a right of abode existed. There's probably going to be some effects and butterflies from such a thing.

Incidentally, the passports are not cheap and cost a fortune to renew. Another reason many Hongkongers were pretty angry about the whole thing.

Also, given they can vote, assuming they did have the right of abode, they could affect the totals in such things as the referendum so there's a "what if" for you if you have all these new voters here, which way they could vote.

As for Hong Kong. Allow me to quote myself from another thread:

Incidentally, there have been at least two times in history when the New Territories might have been acquired in perpetuity. One was during the 1898 negotiations itself where the 99 year lease was almost casually fixed as a figure, and the second was in 1909 when Sir Frederick Lugard, Governor of Hong Kong, floated the idea of returning the British concession of Weihaiwai to China in exchange for the permanent acquisition of the New Territories. However, the Colonial Office didn't like the idea and binned it. Weihaiwei was returned to China in 1930. As part of such negotiations it may have provided an opportunity to address the status of the enclave of Kowloon Walled City as well.

Also, things get even weirder when you consider the proposal to create a "new" Hong Kong in Northern Ireland:

UK officials discussed resettling 5.5m Hong Kong Chinese in Northern Ireland

Archives reveal debate in 1983 over bizarre idea of moving millions of Chinese to Northern Ireland at height of Troubles ahead of colony’s handover to Beijing

Right, I think I've delivered the goods for this post. Have fun. :p

Sargon

Now this is an idea. I've heard about it before, and it just seems such a great idea for a TL, if borderline ASB. I just love the idea of the Troubles being resolved by dumping 5 million (somewhat grateful) Hong-Kongers into Northern Ireland, which hitherto had a population of about 1.5 million. Then the PRC gets a ghost city...

Do Tatars count as East Asian? Because then this is OTL.

Also, there was a spurt of migration from China to Imperial Russia after the Trans-Siberian Railroad was completed. By 1918, there were enough migrants that the Red Army formed a Sino-Russian division (recruited in European Russia).

If no WW I/Russian Revolution, this migration could continue to "significant numbers".