AHC Enoch Powell as PM of the UK

marktaha

Banned
Say the Gallup Poll got it right in 1970 - Labour landslide. Heath out, replaced by Maudling. Poulson affair in 1972 means fall of Maudling- Conservatives turn to Powell in desperation . He wins in 1975. Then- not Gordon Banks or ENF in my view.

New Guniean

Banned
Except those who thankfully disagreed with this individual were constituted in large part of the educated political classes. The only way he comes to power is violently as he would not get buy in from any mainstream party I hope we are not having a TL on this as the racism he espoused would make dire reading
Isn't this classism?

Well educated political classes just means rich people, upper class.

Last edited:
I fail to follow: right wing Anti-Americanism and the idea that they were, at least partly, fuelling the IRA often went hand in hand.

Yes, but anyone actually involved in politics on a serious level knew that the American GOVERNMENT was not funding the IRA. And even if it's proven that they weren't entirely cracking down on the money and weapons transfers so as not to alienate the pub vote in Boston and New York, it's a pretty huge leap from that to thinking "Bloody yanks. We'd actually be better off if the Communists won."

There is no one who could have hated the IRA more than Margaret Thatcher, and I'm sure there were a few terse exchanges about them(not to mention a bit of grumbling about Grenada) in her meetings with Ronald Reagan. But I'm also pretty sure she was never anything but a fervent believer in an American-led capitalist world order.

Last edited:
Good call.

Yes, well-played.

Though, just as an observation, Sonny And Cher were sort of the domesticated, suburbs-friendly manifestation of the counterculture, who by the 1970s were appearing on family-friendly variety shows that my Silent Generation parents liked to watch, and not attracting much notoriety for whatever debaucheries they may have gotten up to.

Last edited: