AHC: Earliest Possible Philippine Independence (American Period)

With a POD start by 1917 where the Jones Law i just signed and it is stated where the united states must free the Philippines, when they see that the country has the capability to self determination. Free the Philippines as soon as possible. possible leaders ? and consequences?

Not really possible. US had already granted the Philippines considerable autonomy-- I'd say they were the "least evil" of all other colonial powers-- and I don't think they'd gain independence any earlier than what was planned for in the 1940s.

Not really possible. US had already granted the Philippines considerable autonomy-- I'd say they were the "least evil" of all other colonial powers-- and I don't think they'd gain independence any earlier than what was planned for in the 1940s.
It is, Well it was not yet planned that it will be freed at the 1940s in that date and there are many figures like Aguinaldo the first president of the Philippines where the nation is not yet recognized who advocate for immediate independence

Last edited:
You could have them become an American protectorate. I think it is plausible to have the United States not annex the Philippines. There was considerable domestic controversy over the annexation and although McKinley ultimately pushed for it, he did struggle with and felt conflicted over the decision. However, preventing the the annexation is not the same as having an independent Philippines. Without American protection, they'd have a hard time not being colonized by another imperial power, like Germany or Japan.

Without American protection, they'd have a hard time not being colonized by another imperial power, like Germany or Japan.
Likely, but not as plausible as we think of it. Germany being busy in China. France and Britain will not allow that. If they did attempt it, I'm sure America and other countries who have interest in there will support and give aid to the Philippine government and pressure germany to back down. Plus many Filipinos have contacts in Europe, many diplomats had been actually sent to recognize the nation. Japan is unlikely as they are not as strong in that time, and same thing as germany.

Most likely theyre gonna be a buffer state if that happens. or a british/ french and american leaning nation, as they have a teritorial dispute with germany regarding Palau.

You could have them become an American protectorate. I think it is plausible to have the United States not annex the Philippines. There was considerable domestic controversy over the annexation and although McKinley ultimately pushed for it, he did struggle with and felt conflicted over the decision. However, preventing the the annexation is not the same as having an independent Philippines. Without American protection, they'd have a hard time not being colonized by another imperial power, like Germany or Japan.
IIRC the final vote on the ratification of the purchase of the Philippines was somewhat close. If for whatever reason there was less enthusiasm for building a colonial empire to be just like Europe and less of the moralistic grandstanding the largely Republican imperialists used to justify it then maybe they'd have pulled a Cuba. A lot of people blame the naval doctrine of wanting projecting power into the Pacific, but as the below post notes it wouldn't have been implausible or impractical to lease a naval base and otherwise leave the country an independent "ally" (read: protectorate in all but name) of the US.
They should have got the same deal Cuba got, and the territory ceded would have been a naval base in Manilla bay.
I think Subic Bay would make a better choice for more or less the same reasons it was the primary American naval base there IOTL.

You could have them become an American protectorate.
The fact is, most of the Aguinaldo and his ministers dont want protection, they wanted complete total independence. While the Americanists wanted this. the regime and the majority of the people is against it. That is why they refused the deal when they are offered that in the middle of the war against USA