AHC: Different Deutschland-class Panzerschiffe for Reichsmarine

Background - 20,000 ton ship design
  • Alright, new post. Would it be possible for the Reichsmarine to build a 3 x 3 11" ship in 1929 with a standard displacement of 20,000-25,000 tons, stated officially to be 20,000 tons? The requirements are:
    • A top speed of at least 29 knots (to keep pace with Emden at the minimum)
    • Same range as on the Panzerschiffe (pick one). From Wikipedia:
    Deutschland could carry up to 2,750 t (2,710 long tons) of fuel oil, which provided a maximum range of 17,400 nautical miles (32,200 km; 20,000 mi) at a speed of 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph). An increase in speed by one knot reduced the range slightly to 16,600 nmi (30,700 km; 19,100 mi). At a higher speed of 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph), the range fell to 10,000 nmi (19,000 km; 12,000 mi). Admiral Scheer carried 2,410 t (2,370 long tons) and had a correspondingly shorter range of 9,100 nmi (16,900 km; 10,500 mi) at 20 kn. Admiral Graf Spee stored 2,500 t (2,500 long tons) of fuel, which enabled a range of 8,900 nmi (16,500 km; 10,200 mi).
    • Diesel engines using last 1920s tech.
    • Full protection against 8" shellfire, according to German armour doctrine. DO NOT implement a full anti-capital ship scheme.
    • Decent torpedo defence, for 1920s standards.
    • No DP secondaries. The 5.9" anti-ship and AA guns must be distinct.
    • No TTs allowed. None (good idea this).
    • Minimum of two aircraft and aircraft storage.
    • Flagship capabilities and space for upgrades
    If anybody could Springsharp this, I would love to see it. Thank you!

Historical context - 20,000 ton design
  • What I'm thinking about when I ask for a 20,000 design is the following:

• The Treaty of Versailles gets negotiated differently. Instead of six 10,000 ton ships with two in reserve, Germany is allowed three 20,000 ton ships with one in reserve. This is so that the Reichsmarine may have more of a counter to the Russian Ganguts, which nobody likes because hey, they're communist.
    • As a result, in the post-war environment Germany gets to keep Nassau, Westfalen and Posen (Rheinland got badly damaged in 1918 and so will not be around). The rest of the fleet is unchanged.
    • All these girls were laid down in 1907, so assuming a 20-year-delay on replacement, the replacements should start construction in 1927, which is around when designs for the OTL Panzerschiffe were being finalised.
    • The overall objective for the new ships is the same as OTL. It's just that they will be far, far better at the job.
    • Due to economic constraints, in the 1929-1932 period, where Deutschland, Admiral Scheer and Admiral Graf Spee were laid down, only two of these CBs are laid down - one at Wilhelmshaven, one at Kiel. Let's just call them Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
    • A similar reaction is caused in Britain and France to what happened IOTL.
    • After Hitler comes to power, the Kriegsmarine decides to build the two remaining ships they are allowed. The Allies are not down with this - they won't have enough fast capital ships to contain them AND the Italian and Japanese navies at the same time. In a similar logic to the OTL Anglo-German Naval Agreement, Germany is allowed 35% of Britain's capital ship tonnage, i.e 183,750 tons standard, so that they stop building such freakish vessels.
    • The two CBs deducted, this leaves 143,750 tons - enough to build four 35,000 ton battleships instead of the two OTL Scharnhorsts and two OTL Bismarcks. So basically, we can get four Bismarcks with some give or take (perhaps not putting resources into the Graf Zeppelins and making the Hippers a less ambitious design). Construction on these starts in 1935-1936.
    • A side effect is probably that HMS Tiger gets to be kept by the British come the LNT, which in turn means that the USA gets to keep USS Wyoming in active service, and Japan keeps the Hiei in active service. I don't know how the French/Italians may be affected by the Treaty.
    IMPORTANTLY:
    • The pre-war RN modernisations focus on the fast capital ships to counter the German vessels.
    • Thus, although Barham is refitted 1931-1934 as IOTL, Repulse's OTL 1933-1936 refit is now a full rebuild, and instead of Warspite, Renown is rebuilt in 1934-1937 along the same lines.
    • Once Repulse and Renown come out, Hood, Tiger and Warspite are rebuilt in the 1936/1937 building cycles. Hood gets the full rebuild we all love (http://www.hmshood.com/history/construct/repair42.htm - see the Renown-style builds) - Tiger gets new 14" guns and is massively overhauled, making her a match for the Twins - Warspite gets something like what Valiant had IRL. This takes the place of the OTL rebuilds of Renown, Valiant and Queen Elizabeth.
    • This should put the RN's fast line in a much better place come WW2, although the slow battleships aren't in such a good shape - only Warspite has got a full rebuild. Additionally, I think it likely that Hood will end up like Queen Elizabeth and have a delayed rebuild, meaning she doesn't enter service until January/February 1941 (she is a big girl after all). The Tiger rebuild may also delay the KGVs but about this I am less sure.
    Thoughts?