AHC: 'Darkest' 21st century that doesn't involve Nazi victory or global nuclear war

- A Second Korean War, especially one which takes place towards the end of the century.

I don't think one would be likely near the end of the century, what with the famine in the north. Hell, that might shake out better than OTL if it wrapped up quickly and allowed reunification at that point.

I have to ask again: are you disputing the validity of Redbeard's ban or not? Because if you are, then you're supposed to do that in the Hall of Infamy. And if not, then this litigation of cultural assimilation seems to be getting far off track from what the thread's supposed to be about. Either way, this seems like a derailment of the thread.

Redbeard knew he would be banned for what he said, I can't say I agree with those rules[1], but I know they're there and so did Redbeard, so I'm not going to complain about him being banned for saying something he knew would end with him being banned. As for derailment, I react to what CalBear wrote in the thread he wrote it in.

[1] as I think to some degree, it create a echo chamber. But that's not a discussion I care to take right now. Also I'm in something of two mind of it, because weakening the rules on this board risk making this forum being run over by Eurabia types (which Redbeard wasn't) and other far right extremists.

-1901 Depression results in reborn American Civil war

-North America becomes Europe's latest chess board for 15 years

-World War I analogue continues for 6-8 years and destabilizes Europe enough for larger colonies to begin declaring independence a generation early

-Spanish Flu wrecks havoc on globally weary populations with double the deaths of OTL as food supplies are much decreased

-Former United States emerges as quartet of nations around Texas, California, New York, and Illinois while Germany rearms earlier

-Soviet Civil War decimates Russia over the next decade

-Global recovery permits arms manufacturing in earnest as military spending drives much of it

-Depression lasts into the late 1940s and sees fall of many civilized governments in North America and elsewhere

-Biological and Chemical weapons release en masse permits Empire of Texas to overrun Liberty Republic and its ally Federal states but at a horrific cost, Texas controls everything east of the Rockies but is loathed beyond its home 'domain' (OTL Texas and surrounding states)

-Europe shudders and spasms as a Second World War begins with a fragmented China' more fragmented Russia, North America, and southern Asia entering the fray

-Great Flu hits starting in Berlin, rapidly goes worldwide with mortality rate of 25% and virulence rate of 55%

-Continued fighting escalates as conventional armies burn out their infrastructures and economies, emergence of so-called 'Pax Atlantica' from 1949-1968

-'Afternoon of Death' as several previously covert nuclear powers with IRBM or heavy bomber capabilities deliver nuclear weapons up to 150kt around the world

-With less than half a billion people remaining wars fizzle out over the next decade as does the population

-A recovery begins in Spain and India but falters when the Bleeding Death (OTL Marburg virus) escapes a previously sealed lab in former Germany, killing a third of the world just as the Wasting Plague (OTL HIV) makes its first appearances

-Religious fundamentalism spreads among the barely 150 million people left, leaving only a handful of technological states left (most notably Sweden, Switzerland, New Zealand, the Empire of Brazil, and the Cis-Appalachain Federation)

-By year 2000 most nations number in the 3 million or less range with religious fundamentalism rampant and the highest level of technology approx. 1975. Space is largely unexplored, medicine is almost its own religion with Mason-like traditions, and most levels of technology are American Civil War or less. Lights from space are seen in maybe two dozen cities with some fairly well demarcated. Average life expectancy in North America if alive after infancy is 55 while only 49 in Europe, where slavery has returned thanks to the Emirate of Tunis and its Sultanate of Bari allies.

Here are some places to start and at least three of these being true should easily do the trick:
  • A South African Civil War of some kind.
  • Nuclear War by lesser powers(Pakistan-India is obvious).
  • Massive war in South Asia at some point.
  • At least one right wing dictatorship(like Spain,Greece,Portugal,or Cyprus) exists in an OTL EU country.
  • The Civil Rights Movement fails early and President George Wallace or someone similar exists.
  • Something goes wrong for a stable place in OTL, such as more terrorism in Quebec(by French speaking separatists).
  • Japan ends up with an " Viktor Orban like" leader who is an obvious threat to democracy.
  • Israel is somehow destroyed in its cradle(or in 1967 even if it is nearly ASBs given the Arabs were incompetent and hated each other).
  • A major war occurs in Latin America.
  • More Latin American countries(especially after 1959 when Cuba has done so) have gone Communist.

Right-wing dictatorship, you say? An Italy led by anglophile and germanophobe Balbo *might* lend itself to neutrality.

Leon Trotsky succeeds Lenin as the Leader of the Soviet Union. He rapidly industrializes the Union at the cost of many famines and millions of deaths. Unlike Stalin, Trotsky doesn’t trust Hitler, so when Barbarossa happens in WW2, Russia is more prepared. The Red Army defeats Nazi Germany, and the Soviet Union “liberates” Europe in the name of the world revolution. The western powers, paranoid of the Soviets and their maniacal leader grow increasingly authoritarian and fascistic in response to the Soviet threat. So basically, Soviets are more militaristic and move further west, Great Britain and America are very authoritarian, and fascism is seen as less of a dangerous ideology and more of a defense against global communism.

I don't understand everyone and their fascination and trust in Trotsky as a better leader for the Soviet Union. The bastard was so aloof and noncommittal to taking power that he didn't show up to Lenin's FUNERAL. Even if you give Stalin an unexpected death, someone else will seize that power, and wield it like Stalin did in those early and "revolutionary" times. It's the same thing with Germany, if you kill Hitler, some other bastard just like him is going to take that role because the atmosphere of control at that time had been changed to be more dictatorial. And, if the Czar and his attempted reforms are anything to go by, the way to industrialize Russia at this time is to give the provincial ministers more autonomy, which does not lend itself to soviet authoritarian regime and their agenda. Then again, NEP, as well as Stalins purges of the Left and Right aspects of the party by playing both sides certainly lends itself to more "flexibility" when it comes to economic policy, but provincial autonomy is verging on ASB IMO unless you basically make the Bolsheviks the SR, which kind of makes instituting a nightmare regime of europe not realistic.