AHC: Culturally/Linguistically Alternate Scandinavia

Make a different culture/language rule and be the majority over most or all of Scandinavia instead of the Norse.
POD may be as early as needed, though better if it affects the rest of Europe as least as possible.
I'm honestly not quite sure what could do it, maybe the Saami/Finnic groups? I don't know too much about the ancient history of the region.

Last edited:
That might have huge implications for all the Germanic Languages, given that they spread out from southern Scandinavia.
Maybe during the Migration era even more Germanic tribes are on the move and Scandinavia becomes just as relatively empty as certain parts of Central Europe in this period, leaving room for some other group to fill the void?

Given that the accepted urheimat of Proto-Germanic is Denmark, southernmost Norway and the Southern half of Sweden (approximately anything south of the Swedish lakes) ... It'll be difficult to do without massive butterflies all throughout Europe

What you can, probably, do is having the Saami/Finnish People settle instead of being semi-nomadic (earlier access to a hardier oat possibly?), and consolidate the northern half of the peninsula

Last edited:
Given that the accepted urheimat of Proto-Germanic is Denmark, southernmost Norway and the Southern half of Sweden (approximately anything south of the Swedish lakes) ... It'll be difficult to do without massive butterflies all throughout Europe

What you can, probably, do is having the Saami/Finnish People settle instead of being semi-nomadic (earlier access to a hardier oat possibly?), and consolidate the northern half of the peninsula
I'd assume that it's plausible that they could conquer the southern half of the peninsula later down the line?

Make a different culture/language rule and be the majority over most or all of Scandinavia instead of the Norse.
POD may be as early as needed, though better if it affects the rest of Europe as least as possible.
I'm honestly not quite sure what could do it, maybe the Saami/Finnic groups? I don't know too much about the ancient history of the region.
The Roman conquest of Germania proceeds with less setbacks and more success. Eventually, the Romans either expand into Scandinavia, bringing their language with them. Or native Scandinavians adopt Latin due to trade and cultural connections to the Roman Empire, especially with the province of Germania.