AHC: Create an illegitimate/cadet branch of a Dynasty/Royal Family/Nobility

Game Begins
A thread spiritual successor to my previous thread, AHC: Form an alternate Dynasty/Royal Family/Nobility, which was based off the List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage, AH Royal/Imperial/Noble Titles Game and AHC: Form alternate/new ethnic groups of the world.

In the long history, there are multiple royal houses that has come and gone. And in those houses were usually cadet branches, whether that was formed from a younger son, or an illegitimate bastard child. The most famous example was the House of York and House of Lancaster, and another founded by an illegitimate son was the House of Aviz.

So, similar to the Alternate Dynasty/Royal Family/Nobility game, this game is coming up with an illegitimate branch of a royal house. Here is the template (Which is similar to the first template):

Parent House:
Name:
Title(s):
Region of Origin: [Insert region of origin]
*Region of Rule: [Insert region of Rule, Optional]
Founder: [Insert Founder]
Timespan: [Insert Timespan]
History: [Insert History]

Side note: Like before, it doesn't have to be an Imperial Dynasty or Royalty. It can be nobility, aristocrats, or even Political Families of republics. Also, as a spiritual continuation, if you made a fictional Royal House beforehand (IE if you made one on my previous game), you can use those.

*Also, the cadet branch doesn't have to become the head of state or reigning house of a nation, but there are historical examples like the House of Bourbon or House of Aviz that did rule, so it's optional

For example:

Parent House: House of Borgia
Name: House of Romagna
Title(s): Duke of Romagna
Region of Origin: Italy
Founder: Alexander Borgia da Romagna
Timespan: 1501 - 1527
History: A illegitimate cadet branch of the House of Borgia, Alexander Borgia da Romagna, the Bastard son of Cesare Borgia, was declared by his father to become the next Duke of Romanga. After his father's fall from grace of the papacy and went to live with his aunt in Ferrera, Lucrezia Borgia. As he grew into adulthood, he claimed the title of Duke of Romagna and remained himself with the House of Romagna. He had ambitions to reclaim his father's lands and rose as a Condottiero, where he sided with the HRE, during the War of the League of Cognac. However, his ambitions never came to be, as Alexander would die during a bold but foolish campaign into Tuscany, ending the House of Romagna.

House of FitzRoy
Parent House: House of Tudor
Name: House of FitzRoy
Title(s): Dukes of Richmond and Somerset
Region of Origin: England
Founder: Henry FitzRoy
Timespan: 1525-Present
History: The sole recognized Natural son of Henry VIII of England was pampared by his sire from an early age due to the fact that he was his only living son. After surviving his brush with death in 1536, Henry went onto secure his own line by having 7 children (4 boys and 3 girls ) with his wife Duchess Mary Howard. Although there were rumors that he intented to Usurp the Crown of England upon the passing of his father, Henry Fitzroy proved to be a man of honor in serving faithfully all three of his remaining siblings, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I, while they were on the English Throne, going so far as to formally renounce any and all claims he and his descendants would have to it. Dying at the, for the time, ripe old age of 70 in 1589, his firstborn son and heir Henry became the second holder of the dual Dukedoms, continuing to serve his aunt as faithfully as his father had done the Hose of Fitzroy served the monarchs of the British Isles faithfully for centuries to this day.

House of Gloucester
Parent House: House of Plantaganet
Name: House of Gloucester
Title(s): Earls, later Dukes of Gloucester, King of Scots
*Region of Rule: Scotland
Founder: Robert Fitzroy, Earl of Gloucester
Timespan: 1090-
History: The illegitimate son of Henry I of England; Robert, Earl of Gloucester, became very prominent after the rise of his half-sister Queen Matilda in 1140. He and his children became the premier noblemen of England and were eventually created dukes. After the death of Alexander III of Scots in 1286, Margaret I came to the throne at three years old. In 1298, she married Robert, 4th Earl of Gloucester and so the House of Gloucester reigned in Edinburgh. They reigned over the Scots until 1667 when Margaret II came to the throne and the isles were unified under the House of York. The Dukes of Gloucester still sit in Sudeley Castle and faithfully serve the Kings of York.

House of Crato
Parent House: House of Aviz
Name: House of Crato
Title(s):
Prior of Crato, King/Queen of Portugal
Region of Origin:
Portugal
*Region of Rule:
Portugal
Founder:
Antonio I
Timespan:
1580-present
History:

Antonio I and his supporters prevailed over Philip II of Spain and the Spanish Habsburg armies in the battle of Alcantara, and he was soon crowned and anointed king. His bastard son, Manuel de Portugal became his heir apparent as he was not permitted to marry. In a letter to the infuriated Pope he wrote that "as I spring from a bastardly union, so shall bastards rule Portugal" and he would be proved correct. He would successfully revive the Portuguese economy through trade with France, England and even Russia. Although his military was never as powerful as Spain's, the fact that his bastards were all married off into foreign royal families was what kept him on the throne for his lifetime. After the death of both himself and Philip II, his descendants continued to rule Portugal.

House of Clarence
Parent House: Plantagenet
Name: Clarence
Title(s): baron Dundrum (1399-present), earl of Down (1534-present), duke of Tyrone (1679-present)
Region of Origin: Ireland
Founder: Edward of Clarence
Timespan: 1364-present
History: Edward of Clarence was the son of Lionel of Antwerp, duke of Clarence, and an unknown woman. The duke's account books include a 1364 expenditure that makes reference to a "bastard of Clarence," likely the time of the child's birth. The child, unnamed and its sex unstated, disappears into obscurity until 1394, when chroniclers mention that King Richard II knighted his bastard cousin Edward of Clarence while on campaign in Ireland. Sir Edward of Clarence was made lord of Dundrum upon Richard's return to Ireland in 1399. He was succeeded by his son of the same name as the 2nd baron Dundrum, beginning a line of unremarkable minor lords that only rarely enter the historical record until the Tudor era.

In 1532, John of Clarence, 5th baron Dundrum, was raised to earl of Down by King Henry VIII. This may have been due in part to the 5th baron's marriage to Jane Boleyn, who was the aunt of the king's second wife. The Clarences became intense Tudor partisans and supported several of the crown's military ventures in Ireland over the next several decades.

In 1676, John Clarence, 6th earl of Down, was raised to duke of Tyrone after his marriage to Catherine FitzCharles, a bastard daughter of King Charles II.

John's father, Sir Richard Clarence, died fighting for the crown at the Battle of Rathmines in 1649, shortly after John's birth. As John's mother had died in childbirth, he was put in the care of his aunt, Catherine Clarence. Catherine's father (the infant John's grandfather), John Clarence, 5th earl of Down, urged Catherine to go into exile with the infant John. She fled Ireland for France in 1650.

The 5th earl of Down survived Oliver Cromwell's rule over Ireland, but the family was impoverished. The 5th earl died in 1661, shortly before the coronation of King Charles II. He was succeeded by his grandson of the same name, who was now 12. The young 6th earl was still cared for by his aunt Catherine, who was rumored to have had an affair with Charles II when they were both exiles in France. This affair may explain the royal favor shown toward the young earl, whose marriage to Catherine FitzCharles was arranged early in Charles's reign and celebrated on the girl's eighteenth birthday in 1676. John was raised to his dukedom on the same day. Their marriage was apparently happy and they had seven children together, though only six survived.

James Clarence, 13th duke of Tyrone, is the current head of the house of Clarence. As he has only daughters, the title is set to go extinct upon his death, though his brother Henry has petitioned to inherit the title instead.

As the Clarence family is one of only two families of direct male line descent to King Edward III, along with the Somerset dukes of Beaufort, they were crucial to the DNA testing of the skeleton of King Richard III upon its discovery. Tests of anonymous members of the Clarence and Somerset families showed Y chromosome matches between each other, but not with Richard III. This proves that a false paternity event occurred somewhere between Edward III and Richard III.

Last edited:
House of Habsburg-Burgundy
Parent House: Habsburgs of Austria
Name: Habsburg-Burgundy
Title(s): King of Burgundy, Duke of Holland, Duke of Lorraine
Region of Origin: Holy Roman Empire
*Region of Rule: Kingdom of Burgundy
Founder: King Leopold I Wilhelm
Timespan: 1636-Present
History: The House of Habsburg-Burgundy is the ruling house in the Kingdom of Burgundy, in the Holy Roman Empire, being, after the Habsburgs of Austria, the greatest power in the Holy Roman Empire.
The house arose after the end of the Twenty Years' War (1618-1638), after the victory of the Habsburgs against the Protestant alliance, and the fall of the Dutch Republic, in a unique situation, the lands of the council of Flanders, which included the Spanish Netherlands, the recently defeated Dutch Republic and the County of Burgundy were merged into the Kingdom of Burgundy within the Holy Roman Empire in an attempt to make Holland more loyal by having much more autonomy within the new kingdom and convert them back to Catholicism.
The throne of the new kingdom was given to Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria, who had been an important general during the war, being responsible for the invasion and capture of the Dutch Republic, during the Hundred Days Campaign of 1634, the new king adopted the name of Leopold I Wilhelm and at the same time married Claude Françoise of Lorraine, securing the Duchy of Lorraine for her new kingdom
The house of Habsburg-Burgundy has reigned over Burgundy ever since, expanding its lands during the Nine Years' War (1748-1757) and being an important artistic and mercantile center in Europe.
List of Heads of the House of Habsburg-Burgundy/Kings of Burgundy (1636-Present):
  • Name of Monarch / Lifespan / Age at which he died / Reign / Years of Reign / Relationship to previous monarch
  • Leopold I Wilhelm (1614-1684) (70) (1638-1684) (46) (Son of Ferdinand II of the Holy Roman Empire and Maria Anna of Bavaria)
  • Karl I Leopold (1638-1720) (81) (1684-1720) (36) (Son of Leopold I Wilhelm and Duchess Claude of Lorraine)
  • Leopold II Karl (1661-1742) (81) (1720-1742) (22) (Son of Karl I Leopold and Mary Stuart)
  • Leopold III Franz (1689-1771) (81) (1742-1771) (29) (Son of Leopold II Karl and Marie Louise of France)
  • Ferdinand I (1713-1798) (84) (1771-1798) (27) (Son of Leopold III Franz and Maria Magdalena of Austria)
  • Karl II (1739-1818) (78) (1798-1818) (20) (Son of Ferdinand I and Antonia of Spain)
  • Karl III (1765-1845) (80) (1818-1845) (27) (Son of Karl II and Eleonore Maria of Palatinate)
  • Rudolf I (1768-1850) (82) (1845-1850) (5) (Brother of Karl III, Son of Karl II and Eleonore Maria of Palatiante)
  • Leopold IV (1791-1861) (70) (1850-1861) (11) (Son of Rudolf I and Elisabeth Ursula of Poland and Saxony)
  • Friedrich Leopold (1794-1872) (78) (1861-1872) (11) (Brother of Leopold IV, Son of Rudolf I and Elisabeth Ursula of Poland and Saxony)
  • Rudolf II (1818-1903) (85) (1872-1903) (31) (Son of Friedrich Leopold and Princess Charlotte of the United Kingdoms)
  • Ferdinand II Franz (1843-1926) (83) (1903-1906*) (3) (Son of Rudolf II and Maria Karolina of Austria)
  • Sigismund (1845-1927) (82) (1906-1927) (21) (Brother of Ferdinand II Franz, Son of Rudolf II and Maria Karolina of Austria)
  • Karl IV Leopold (1867-1939) (72) (1927-1939) (12) (Son of Sigismund and Maria Luisa of Spain)
  • Rudolf III (1890-1968) (78) (1939-1968) (29) (Son of Karl IV Leopold and Augusta Wilhelmina of Baden-Baden)
  • Leopold V Wilhelm (1914-1997) (83) (1968-1997) (29) (Son of Rudolf III and Vittoria Emanuella of Savoy)
  • Karl V Leopold (1939-Present) (61) (1997-Present) (3) (Son of Leopold V Wilhelm and Alexandra of Greece)
*Forced to abdicate due to mental illness

Last edited:
House of Palatine
Parent House: House of Tudor, House of Wittelsbach
Name: House of Palatine
Title(s):
Duke of Palatine-Neuburg, Duke of Somerset, Prince of Orange, King of England
Region of Origin:
England
*Region of Rule:
England,
Founder:
Louis I and II "the Just"
Timespan:
England- 1558-1705, Holland- 1598-1675, Palatine-Neuburg- 1552-1799
History:

The house of Palatine is founded with the birth of Louis, illegitimate son of Princess Mary Tudor (Mary I) and Philipp, Duke of Palatine-Neuburg. Born during the reign of his maternal grandfather, the infamous Henry VIII, his birth was met with outrage from both Henry and Otto Henry, older brother of Philipp. In the following few days, however, Henry VIII recognized his grandson and offered Philipp the hand of his daughter (possibly to legitimize his only grandson). While accounts are scarce on Philipp's reaction on hearing of his son's birth they all agree that he was overjoyed and decided to journey to England to wed his beloved. Unfortunately, he would catch an unknown illness on his journey and die, having never met his only child. On the death of his younger brother, Otto Henry declared his nephew and closest blood relative the heir to the Duchy of Palatine-Neuburg, and acknowledged him as a legitimate member of the house of Wittelsbach, having asked king Henry to do the same. Henry, though joyous with his first grandson, was not thrilled with the idea of recognizing him as a member of the Wittelsbach for he feared that it would challenge the legitimacy of his only son, future king Edward VI. He did award him the duchy of Somerset and accepted him as a member of the royal dynasty. At the age of 12, the good-looking and intelligent Louis inherited the duchy of Palatine-Neuburg from his uncle. He would leave for the duchy and return only on the mother's coronation in 1553, a year later, when he was crowned the Prince of Wales and duke of Cornwall. Having grown up with a protestant upbringing, it surprised even his devout mother on his willing conversion to Catholicism. His ideals were, however, much less fanatical than his mother's whom he succeeded at the age of 17, becoming Louis II (the I being french king Louis "the Lion" who was offered the throne by english nobles but never properly crowned due to his refusal to allow nobility the power to control the english crown in his behalf). The first half of his reign was spend fighting radical protestants and Catholics alike and securing his crown which was done by marrying his cousin, archduchess Barbara daughter of Ferdinand I HRE. In 1566 he solidified the house of Palatine (the name Wittelsbach was considered too german and so was Neuburg) by bethrowing his newborn son, future king Louis III, with Anne Dudley, the only daughter of his aunt Elisabeth Tudor, was married to Robert Dudley, 1st earl of Leicester. His reighn is remembered as beign peaceful and prosperous and after hisdeath he was succeeded by his oldest son Louis as king of england and second son Philipp II as duke of Palatine-Neuburg . A third son William became William II, Prince of Orange through marriage.

The house of Palatine would rule 3 major European states with varied religious policies until 1799, when Philipp VII the last Palatine duke of Neuberg would die without heirs. The house in England would be ended with the reign of Mary II, who would be succeeded by her niece Elisabeth I while the one ruling Orange, then subsequently all of Holland, would fall in 1675 when the only son of William IV, Fredrick William, would predeceases his father in 1674.

House of Tudor-Dudley
Parent House: House of Tudor
Name: House of Tudor-Dudley
Titles: Queen of England and Ireland, Princess of Asturias, Queen of France
*Region of Rule: England
Founder: Anne I
Timespan: 1551-
History:
Anne Dudley was the bastard daughter of Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley, born just after his marriage to Amy Robsart. This birth infuriated Edward VI and Mary I in turn, but it was too late. When Mary came to power, she tried to convince Elizabeth to disavow her daughter and marry a man of her choosing, but Elizabeth refused. The death of Amy Robsart in 1555 of a miscarriage was a blessing to Elizabeth, as she quickly became Robert's second wife and they produced another three daughters (named Mary, Elizabeth and Margaret in that order). Mary had the couple locked up in the Tower separately, so the fact that these children were conceived anyway infuriated her. However she did not condone any suggestions of executing Elizabeth, and instead simply forced little Anne Dudley to marry her husband's son Carlos and shipped her away to Spain. Thus, upon the accession of Elizabeth I, she only had three daughters with her in England. Since she respected the line of succession she did not try to tamper with it, instead negotiating with Philip II so that her daughter could spend six months in Spain and six in England. The childless marriage of Carlos and Anne ended with his death and young Anne would remarry to Charles IX of France, with whom she had a son and a daughter. Since the daughter could not inherit France, she was shipped over to England to be trained by her grandmother as her heiress (never mind that Anne was still alive). In 1603 Anne I finally became Queen of England, ruling for two decades before dying and allowing her daughter to become Elizabeth II (and Elizabeth II had four children with her husband and reigned for seventy years). Thus, the Tudor-Dudley line still lives on today.