Okay, so our goal here is to have Ireland be completely united and under communist rule by 1960 (though the earlier this happens, the better). The only other requirement is that the Soviet Union has to exist in this timeline, although Ireland's policy regarding the Soviets is up to you. I know this is ridiculous, but it's just a bit o' fun. Just imagine how stressed out the British would be!

A worse economic crisis and a harsher crackdown by the government results in the 1926 general strike turning into a revolution. The Irish Free State declares itself a republic and annexes Northern Ireland.

Later on, war breaks out between communist Britain and the Irish republic. Britain invades and establishes a communist Irish state.

which begs the question of how Britain would turn communist. A failed World War One? (Rapidly) worsening conditions in the interwar years?

I’m not sure this could happen due to the influence of the Catholic Church. The Irish Left struggled to make much headway until the mid 1980’s. It probably would take a very severe economic crisis or some other kind of societal breakdown for it to occur.

I’m not sure this could happen due to the influence of the Catholic Church. The Irish Left struggled to make much headway until the mid 1980’s. It probably would take a very severe economic crisis or some other kind of societal breakdown for it to occur.
Not to mention they were... pretty strongly anti-communist due to said Church influence. Irish Brigade, anyone?

Okay, so our goal here is to have Ireland be completely united and under communist rule by 1960 (though the earlier this happens, the better). The only other requirement is that the Soviet Union has to exist in this timeline, although Ireland's policy regarding the Soviets is up to you. I know this is ridiculous, but it's just a bit o' fun. Just imagine how stressed out the British would be!

Actually, the most plausible scenario (extremely implausible but still the least implausible!) for a united Communist Ireland is a Communist Great Britain...