AHC Catholic Europe views Ethiopia more Favorably

Starting from 1176, have both the papacy and the Catholic European Kingdoms have a more favorable view of Ethiopia when they eventually discover it. In OTL, there was this "prester John" myth and for awhile the Portuguese thought Ethiopia was the same, but relations eventually turned frosty because of the religious differences between the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and the Catholic Portuguese. One way to do this is have some POD resolve the East-West split and come to embrace all forms of Christianity. The challenge is to find a POD that would make Catholic Europe view Ethiopia a bit more favroably without making them tolerate the East any more than OTL. It doesn't need to be anything as strong as generations of intermarriage. For example, England has had conflicts with Scotland, Castile, and the Holy Roman Empire before, but at times had cordial relations with them, something they did not do with Cordoba.

Well it depends, the Aragonese during Alfonso V reign even thought of a marriage between an Aragonese prince and the daughter Ethiopian king( Alfonso received a letter from the Ethiopian king proposing an alliance against the Muslims the sealing of the alliance would be a marriage between the king's daughter and the prince of Aragon pedro brother of Alfonso), but it did not go ahead due to the fact that communication was very difficult (they would have to go through the muslim egypt, And it was pre-era of discoveries so no going around Africa coast, And that's what happened Alfonso sent 13 courtiers to Ethiopia and they all died on the way), In any case, any kind of pre-Age of Discovery alliance would be extremely hampered due to the difficult access to Ethiopia from Europe, Now maybe some Ethiopian clerics travel to Rome (similar to what the Maronites did OTL after the crusades)?.

Last edited:
One potential obstacle to a closer relation is the nature of Ethiopian Christology. If I remember correctly, most Christians in Ethiopia are Oriental Orthodox and do not recognize the validity of any church councils after Chalcedon. As a result, they are miaphysites and believe Christ has one nature, as opposed to the Chalcedonian position of both a human and a divine nature co-existing. I realize this is a criminally oversimplified take on comparative theology, and the two branches of Christianity have grown closer in the past few years. However, this may have hindered Catholic-Ethiopian relations in an earlier time. Preventing the Oriental Schism, at least in Ethiopia, might overcome these issues; this will probably result in a ridiculous amounts of butterflies, however.

Didn't Ethiopia actually have Catholicism as its state religion for a while in the 1600s? That strikes me as by far the easiest way for the Papacy to have a more favourable view of them.

In any case, any kind of pre-Age of Discovery alliance would be extremely hampered due to the difficult access to Ethiopia from Europe
Yeah, for me, the issue was not so much on ideological grounds, but on logistics. You would need a Crusader Egypt, or at least a Christian Tripolitania, to break off the "Muslim Block" that isolated Ethiopia for centuries.

One potential obstacle to a closer relation is the nature of Ethiopian Christology. If I remember correctly, most Christians in Ethiopia are Oriental Orthodox and do not recognize the validity of any church councils after Chalcedon. As a result, they are miaphysites and believe Christ has one nature, as opposed to the Chalcedonian position of both a human and a divine nature co-existing. I realize this is a criminally oversimplified take on comparative theology, and the two branches of Christianity have grown closer in the past few years. However, this may have hindered Catholic-Ethiopian relations in an earlier time. Preventing the Oriental Schism, at least in Ethiopia, might overcome these issues; this will probably result in a ridiculous amounts of butterflies, however.
I don't think it was that at least not most , but the distance itself, certainly Zara knew that the Aragonese were Chalcedonian but he didn't avoid promising he daughter to an Aragonian prince in exchange for an alliance (And later the Ethiopians did not refuse the help of the Portuguese in the Adal War), the main thing Is that Ethiopia before the age of discovery is practically inaccessible to Europeans, they would have to send an entourage on a deadly task that is to cross a hostile Muslim Egypt.

Well it depends, the Aragonese during Alfonso V reign even thought of a marriage between an Aragonese prince and the daughter Ethiopian king( Alfonso received a letter from the Ethiopian king proposing an alliance against the Muslims the sealing of the alliance would be a marriage between the king's daughter and the prince of Aragon pedro brother of Alfonso), but it did not go ahead due to the fact that communication was very difficult (they would have to go through the muslim egypt, And it was pre-era of discoveries so no going around Africa coast, And that's what happened Alfonso sent 13 courtiers to Ethiopia and they all died on the way), In any case, any kind of pre-Age of Discovery alliance would be extremely hampered due to the difficult access to Ethiopia from Europe, Now maybe some Ethiopian clerics travel to Rome (similar to what the Maronites did OTL after the crusades)?.

I'm not looking for anything as fancy as a Portuguese-Ethiopian alliance (although that would be a plus), but basically how the Catholic nations viewed each other. So an attitude of "oh, that family would be great for a royal marriage, but the Habsburgs are closer" not "oh, they're not real Christians, they aren't suitable" is kind of what I'm looking for.

For those of you imagining a timeline where logistics becomes the main obstacle rather than perceived "otherless" you're on the right track