AHC: British Afghanistan

It is a common meme in AH that Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires, a perception reinforced by the defeat of the British in the first Anglo-Afghan war.
Is it possible for Afghanistan to formally become a British protectorate or set of directly ruled areas and protectorates?

This would also require an earlier defeat of the Sikh empire to allow for unimpeded transport into Afghanistan

It is a common meme in AH that Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires, a perception reinforced by the defeat of the British in the first Anglo-Afghan war.
Is it possible for Afghanistan to formally become a British protectorate or set of directly ruled areas and protectorates?

This would also require an earlier defeat of the Sikh empire to allow for unimpeded transport into Afghanistan

Afghanistan was a British protectorate from 1878 to 1919, at least technically. I don't think there was an actual British Resident in Kabul, but the British definitely controlled Afghan foreign policy. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to push British control further during this period.

Afghanistan was a British protectorate from 1878 to 1919, at least technically. I don't think there was an actual British Resident in Kabul, but the British definitely controlled Afghan foreign policy. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to push British control further during this period.
Into a mess of princely states and directly ruled areas. Would there still be *Afghan nationalism later on or would Pashto nationalism be the larger force for independence?

Into a mess of princely states and directly ruled areas. Would there still be *Afghan nationalism later on or would Pashto nationalism be the larger force for independence?

It got very close to happening. When the Brits finally won the 2nd Afghan War, it was very definitely on the table. If it did happen, the Durant Line wouldn't come about. More likely the entire Pashtun areas would have been directly incorporated into the North-West Frontier. Actually, thinking about it, with Afghanistan now effectively an integral part of the Raj, it could be interesting. If they decided to do a 'Burma' on it in says the 30s, you could see the whole Pashto areas back in Afghanistan.

It got very close to happening. When the Brits finally won the 2nd Afghan War, it was very definitely on the table. If it did happen, the Durant Line wouldn't come about. More likely the entire Pashtun areas would have been directly incorporated into the North-West Frontier. Actually, thinking about it, with Afghanistan now effectively an integral part of the Raj, it could be interesting. If they decided to do a 'Burma' on it in says the 30s, you could see the whole Pashto areas back in Afghanistan.
Pashto/Afghan nationalism will play huge part if they do a Burma.