AHC: Brazilian Occupation Zone After WW2

I just a found an article (originally in Portuguese, auto-translated to English) detailing a US proposal for Brazil to participate in the occupation of Austria after WW2. How would this have affected Brazil's standing in the world? Could it have become a Latin American permanent member of the UN Security Council?

OTL, Japan's conquest of Southeast Asia left Brazil as a key source of rubber for the US war machine, and Brazil officially declared war on the axis in 1942 after the sinking of Brazilian shipping by German and Italian submarines earlier that year.

From 1943 Brazil hosted the largest US airbase on foreign soil at Natal in Northeastern Brazil, the nearest point to West Africa in the Americas and a crucial logistical hub. Brazil was involved in naval and air patrols in the South Atlantic, but its troops didn't see ground combat until 1944-1945 on the Italian front. The Brazilian expeditionary force had around 25,000 men, only 15,000 of whom had seen fighting.

It wouldn't been a simple logistical effort to transport the troops by truck from Italy to Austria. Washington's proposition was sent to Rio de Janeiro through a Brazilian officer, but the officer decided not to pass the motion on and Vargas likely never saw it. This seems like a minor POD that could have large effects on Latin American diplomacy during the Cold War.

"US Wanted Brazil to Participate in the Occupation"
American historian Frank McCann states that after the end of World War II, Allies asked for a Brazilian presence in Austria. Invitation, however, would not even have come to Getúlio and ended up only discussed at the military level.

At the end of World War II, Brazil was invited by the United States and United Kingdom to participate in the occupation of Austria. This possible participation, says the American historian Frank McCann, could have changed the Brazilian geopolitical position in the world

In an interview with DW, McCann says that the reasons that led to the refusal of the invitation are still unknown. Based on his research, however, he bets that the proposal did not even reach Getúlio Vargas and ended up being discussed only at the military level.

"There were 10,000 Brazilian men who did not fight, who were not exhausted and could have been put in trucks and taken to Austria, which is not very far, I would say they were able to participate in the occupation and had men for it," stress

DW Brazil : What was the weight of FEB's participation in World War II?

Frank McCann : Brazil had a small division in the war, with 25,000 squares, little compared to other countries. But it was very important, because it was the first time that Brazil was involved in a war outside its territory. This changed their position in the world and also among the Allies. In addition, it was very important for the country in terms of pride.

In your research, you state that the Americans invited Brazil to participate in the occupation of Austria. How was this invitation made?

I researched American archives and found little about it, almost nothing. What we have are the testimonies of people who were in Italy, Brazilian diplomats and also American and British military men, who in letters talked about this invitation.

Why was the invitation made?

The Americans and the British needed troops, it was a matter of numbers. At the time of this conversation, the war had already ended in Europe, but it had not yet ended in the Pacific. US troops in Italy were sent to the Pacific. The Americans and British were worried about having enough troops fighting in this area, and the idea of sending men to occupy Austria did not seem very logical. But they needed others who could do it, and Brazil was there and had troops, it made sense to ask.

And what was the reaction of the Brazilians to the invitation?

Immediately Brazil, in the person of Lieutenant Colonel Castelo Branco, who was the head of the FEB operations section in Italy, opposed the invitation. And, apparently, Mascarenhas de Morais [FEB commander in World War II] also opposed it. I have seen a letter he wrote to Dutra in which he says that Brazilian troops were not adequately equipped to participate in the action. In fact, that was a lot of tin.

Because?

The decision is not a military matter, but a political one. It should have been a political decision, but I do not know if the invitation came to be politically debated. I did not find anything in the files of Getúlio Vargas indicating that he was consulted on the subject. It was not a decision of the government, that would imply that the ministers and the president had been involved. It was a military decision.

Are there indications of why the military rejected the occupation?

It seems that the decision was heavily influenced by what Mascarenhas was thinking. But I can not say why this occurred. However, it is possible that Mascarenhas and his team were exhausted, they did everything they could do and maybe that was all they could do.

But American officials wanted them to take part in the occupation. And that was a different thing than FEB was doing. It seems that Mascarenhas believed that his troops had not been properly trained for an occupation.

Based on your research, do you believe that Brazil was able to participate in the occupation at the time?

I can not say for certain, but the FEB had 25,000 squads in Italy in 1945, 15,000 of which took part in battles and another 10,000 were only in training. There were 10,000 men who did not fight, who were not exhausted and could have been put in trucks and taken to Austria, which is not very far. I would say they were able to take part in the occupation and they had men for it.

Was the refusal to occupy Austria a wise decision of the military?

Politically this was not a good decision, because that would have changed the country's status. Brazil as an ally would become part of the occupation forces. In a conversation I read, Castelo Branco tells an American officer that they were not part of the Allied Control Council [US, UK, USSR and France] and therefore should not participate in the occupation. I do not understand this logic, but I do not know what he was thinking, and if he really thought so or just followed Mascarenhas.

What were the consequences of this decision for Brazil?

We do not know what could have happened, but I think it could have increased the Brazilian prestige. It could have changed the discussion about a permanent chair for Brazil in the UN Security Council. Maybe I'm going too far, but it certainly would have increased Brazil's prestige and it might have been enough for the country to win the seat in the Council. But that could be difficult because the British and the Soviets opposed the Brazilian presence in the Council.

What other areas would have developed differently if Brazil had taken a different decision?

It would probably have changed the Brazilian relationship with the Soviet Union. They would have more direct contact with the Russian troops, since Austria bordered with Soviet-occupied regions. So the nature of the relations between Soviets and Brazilians would be different, but, in what way, I can not say.

The problem with Brazil being part of the occupation force would be simply the cost of maintaining a significant presence. A lot of the equipment, expendables, and other costs of the Brazilian force in Europe/Italy was borne by the USA. As the US demobilizes after the war, I doubt they would be so eager to pay for a force that would replace relatively few Americans. Would Brazil be willing to pay part or all of the costs for "prestige"? Could they?

That'd be an expensive prestige gambit, but it could be worth it if the country treats it like an investment and builds up its business contacts within Austria and Italy.

Ian_W

Banned
The problem with Brazil being part of the occupation force would be simply the cost of maintaining a significant presence. A lot of the equipment, expendables, and other costs of the Brazilian force in Europe/Italy was borne by the USA. As the US demobilizes after the war, I doubt they would be so eager to pay for a force that would replace relatively few Americans. Would Brazil be willing to pay part or all of the costs for "prestige"? Could they?

Given the US asked for this, then it's not unreasonable for the Brazillians to ask to draw the trucks, spare parts, petrol and so on for their occupation zone from existing US military stocks.

After that, it's the matter of paying the troops, which you'd need to do anyway (assuming you arent demobilising them).

Assuming the Brazillians want to shrink their army after the war, it'd be a matter of asking for volunteers to stay in the Army and in Europe, and keeping an eye on the Austrians isnt that hard.

Regarding a Security Council seat, I dont think they can get a Permanent one, but I do think they can get promised one of the at-large seats on the Council.

Now, my knowledge of Brazilian history is very shallow, but how about cultural contacts? Austria became a democracy after WWII and officers and men serving in Brazilian contingent would see the process of constructing a democracy from ground up for some 10 years. Could this have some effect on Brazilian politics?

Now, my knowledge of Brazilian history is very shallow, but how about cultural contacts? Austria became a democracy after WWII and officers and men serving in Brazilian contingent would see the process of constructing a democracy from ground up for some 10 years. Could this have some effect on Brazilian politics?
Now that would be an interesting POD

Any POD that makes the war last longer makes this more likely. As British manpower started to fall, the Wallies had to make up divisions from elsewhere. Part of the US plan was to provide equipment to mobilize modern formations with non US troops. Brazil and French colonies were two of the big sources. Brazil made a significant contribution to the Italian campaign. Add another division or so and they could be over 10% of the Italian front.

Maybe Brazil becomes the majority contributor of a South/Latin American corp that invades Austria from Brazil?

That would extend Vargas dictatorship and he would have been elected in 1945

Basically what removed him from power in 1945 was a coup by the brazilian expedictionary force, who had just returned from Europe. if they stayed more time there, he would have kept power until the 1945 election and be able to continue his government. The effect of the occupation would be negligibe and the effect on the brazilian perfection of democracy too. In OTL this was only discussed between the officers of the brazilian expedictionary force and they didn't even passed this proposition for the civilian government, as the news report says.

Taking about diplomatic prestige, on the other hand, we could see Brazil being representated on american school books in a footnote for taking place on the occupation of Austria, and the local austrians might hold cerimonies in tribute for the brazilians, as the italians do in Monte Castelo.

There would still be a Soviet occupation zone, so interactions between the Red Army and Brazilian troops may affect Brazilian perceptions and foreign policy toward the Soviet bloc. WW2 was the first conflict where Brazil sent an expeditionary force overseas, and the end of the war was pretty popular with the Brazilian public.

Vargas was worried that the groundswell of national pride at the WW2 veterans' exploits would give them a chance to unseat him, or speed up moves toward democracy, so the returning soldiers were purposely shunted off to remote border posts out of the public eye.

How does Brazil get its own zone and recognition when Canada doesn't?

In general Brazil gained way more than Canada in the war, Vargas was invited to be part of the big three and he refused since he feared that he could be couped if he left. (people tend to ignore this when I comment, so here a source from a Brazilian academic article)

Brazil opens the sessions of the UN thanks to a promise that Roosevelt made to the brazilian government and he fullfiled, in the other hand we also were promissed a permanent seat on the UN security concil, but this was dropped with Roosevelt death.