AHC: Better Star Trek The Motion Picture

Star Trek getting to film was a bit of a troubled story. The series itself initially ended after dwindled success in 1969, but sprung back with a vengeance in syndication in the 70s and attained a massive popularity. This prompted Paramount to think about making a film, which went on and off throughout the 70s and it went through a series of possible story ideas and plots (there was also talk of a new TV series or TV movies as an alternative, but that's another topic). I know that by at least as early as 1976 at least, and likely earlier in the 70s, they were working on a film but the studio was being very picky on the story.

The thing that may have finally pushed things forward was the release of Star Wars in 1977, forcing Paramount to rush to finally start the film. What we got was Star Trek: The Motion Picture which was released in the year of 1979, also known derivatively as "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture" because of of it's slow pace and a plot considered dull, and "Where Nomad Has Gone Before" because of similarities to the episode of the TV show where the Nomad probe was featured. The first film was, as those titles show, not viewed as all that great. It was a major box office success, but was not viewed as that great. The pace was extremely slow, very little happened, and an ungodly amount of time was focused on extended beauty shots of all the special effects and the models and the Enterprise, and needless diversions into special effects territory as if to say "we finally have the money for all these effects, so we're going to force you to look at them". A proper competitor to Star Wars it was not, and they went back to task with Star Trek 2 which was much better and launched a trilogy.

The challenge here is to make it so that Star Trek's film adaptation is better? By no means does this topic stay limited to the 1979 film or cleaning up that film to make it better. Given the time talk of a film started, you could have one go at any point in the 1970s and with a number of potential plots, and I personally think that's a better place for the discussion than to try to tweak the 1979 product.
On this subject, we could also discuss where an alternate film series would go from that initial entry.

Probably the first step would be to keep Roddenberry in the Ivory Tower of ideas, and have someone in the director's chair who can play rough with him to really accommodate to the demands of the silver screen.

Roddenberry's original idea was to have the MP be about how the Enterprise Crew met -- which would be a whole lot more fulfilling than seeing Kirk come out retirement and come starting a negligent command body count a few minutes into the mission. (Actually, however you improve the film, it would really help if... that, didn't happen. :mad:)

Star Trek The Motion Picture, when released on DVD in 2001 was reedited, with completed FX Shots and different scenes. Basically, the one everyone saw in theaters in 1979 was a rough cut. Robert Wise didn't have time to fully edit the film, hell the reels were sent directly to the premiere in Washington right after being processed at the lab. If you watch the "Directors Edition" DVD, you'll see a film that is a big improvement over the original version. But, I believe the film being released had an effect on future events.

The obvious solution is simply make "WOK" first...

It would help to have a writer & director familiar with the subject, preferably somebody who's made an SF film before. (Judging by "Andromeda Strain", Wise was a good choice, so IDK what went wrong.:confused:)

How much of the pacing of Star Trek: The Motion Picture was due to the success and acclaim of the very talky and slow 2001?

I don't honestly know here; I'm just asking.

A good first step to a better TMP would be to put Steven Spielberg or George Lucas behind the camera. I'd interested to see George Lucas's take on Roddenberry's ideals.

A good first step to a better TMP would be to put Steven Spielberg or George Lucas behind the camera. I'd interested to see George Lucas's take on Roddenberry's ideals.

Having George behind the camera is good.

But keep him away from writing the story, please!

sharlin

Banned
It was a film that tried to be 2001 for the masses but was ball numbingly dull. To make it better you'd need to re-write the whole damn thing really.

a smaller budget? The big budget it got allowed the film to try to use special effects to carry a thin story through padding. 30 minutes of it is just the crew watching special effects on the screen. A tighter budget means a greater focus on story.

Or just bring in Nicholas Meyer from the beginning and make Roddenberry "executive consultant" earlier.

Probably the first step would be to keep Roddenberry in the Ivory Tower of ideas, and have someone in the director's chair who can play rough with him to really accommodate to the demands of the silver screen.

I think it was Harlan Ellison who pointed out that Roddenberry ever had only real story idea when it came to Star Trek, and that was basically, "the Enterprise crew meets God, and he turns out to be insane, a child, a computer or all three". The Great Bird took that idea and ran it right through the ground all the way to China, until William Shatner finished off the trope (hopefully) in Star Trek V: The Undiscovered Country.

So, yes, step 1 to making the first Trek movie better is to tell Gene that he's already beaten his pet story to death in TOS and we need a new idea.

I think it was Harlan Ellison who pointed out that Roddenberry ever had only real story idea when it came to Star Trek, and that was basically, "the Enterprise crew meets God, and he turns out to be insane, a child, a computer or all three". The Great Bird took that idea and ran it right through the ground all the way to China, until William Shatner finished off the trope (hopefully) in Star Trek V: The Undiscovered Country.

So, yes, step 1 to making the first Trek movie better is to tell Gene that he's already beaten his pet story to death in TOS and we need a new idea.

Wasn't TMP technically the reverse of this? Some unknown, but powerful entity meets the Enterprise crew and thinks that they are God.

Torqumada

Star Trek The Motion Picture, when released on DVD in 2001 was reedited, with completed FX Shots and different scenes. Basically, the one everyone saw in theaters in 1979 was a rough cut. Robert Wise didn't have time to fully edit the film, hell the reels were sent directly to the premiere in Washington right after being processed at the lab. If you watch the "Directors Edition" DVD, you'll see a film that is a big improvement over the original version. But, I believe the film being released had an effect on future events.
It still sucks ass though. One of the worst bore fests I've ever seen, and I'm fairly sure the Cast was high. I always recommend people who want to watch the Star Trek movies to ignore the first one.

I'm apparently one of the few who thought STMP was a good movie. I can see, though, why fans of the syrup action series would be bored with a movie which reinvents it as a drama.

Anyway, the answer is obvious: ditch the effort to make a serious sci-fi movie, and stick to the bug eyed monster semi comedy format on which the series was based.

You could do a variation on "STVH", if you want to keep the probe...

Or update "Journey to Babel" (script by Nick Meyer?).

Or re-interpret "Ice Station Zebra", or "Run Silent, Run Deep" (or Cold is the Sea:cool:). You really want a pretty exceptional screenwriter, tho, so I'd be looking at Michael Crichton or Hampton Fancher and David Peoples (who were responsible for adapting "Do Androids Dream" for "Blade Runner").

Or revisit "A Piece of the Action".:cool: (I'd want David Gerrold or Harlan writing it.)

Of course, there's the standby, another:rolleyes: tribbles story...

I'm apparently one of the few who thought STMP was a good movie. I can see, though, why fans of the syrup action series would be bored with a movie which reinvents it as a drama.

Anyway, the answer is obvious: ditch the effort to make a serious sci-fi movie, and stick to the bug eyed monster semi comedy format on which the series was based.
Or do something good like Wrath of Khan.

I was reading a book about Star Trek some years ago.

It stated that the story for The Wraith of Khan was in fact going to be the plot for The Motion Picture, but the Paramount exec's although liking the premise got cold shoulders thinking viewers wouldn't have stood for Spock being killed off after just one film.