AHC: An Independent Florida

Nuclear conflict in the late 60s to mid 80s sees much of the country devastated, but with moderate temperatures and solid agriculture, much of Central and Northern Florida survive, eventually a Republic of Florida emerges claiming not only the whole state but chunks of Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and coastal Texas as well.

Nuclear conflict in the late 60s to mid 80s sees much of the country devastated, but with moderate temperatures and solid agriculture, much of Central and Northern Florida survive, eventually a Republic of Florida emerges claiming not only the whole state but chunks of Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and coastal Texas as well.
Isn’t that the plot to ‘Alas, Babylon’?

Isn’t that the plot to ‘Alas, Babylon’?
I think they join a reconstituted US at the end of the book based out of Denver ('Decontamination Central' is the phrase that comes to mind?) that ran largely on nuclear power with a population of pre-war France. Yes the US 'won' but the major powers become Brazil, India, China, Japan, and South Africa and Europe/Northern Asia is a mass graveyard.

I was thinking more of Doomsday - 1983

Well, ASB or Fandom forum, but when Bugs Bunny cuts Florida away from the United States
someone tows it back, and the USA refuses to pay the salvage fees, so the captain KEEPS it.
Even a half century ago, I always thought that Bugs should have been rewarded for cutting it loose, anyway! (With the sole exception of Cape Canaveral)

I think a necessary step for an independent Florida is for the US not to get New Orleans. It really doesn't matter what the demographic or political situation in Florida is. Once the US controls New Orleans and all that Mississippi shipping controlling the shipping lanes to the Atlantic will be a priority.