AHC: An American "Taiping Rebellion"

If this American taiping rebellion did occur then what will be the name of this war?

Mormon War?
Deseret War?
Northwest War?
The John Brown rebellion?
The Bible study revolt?

I agree with everything you said except this last bit. The aftermath of the US Civil War was certainly not clean. Debates surrounding Reconstruction formed the base of contentious American politics for the decade following the civil war. The KKK, Red Shirts and many other white supremacy groups spent the entirety of Reconstruction intimidating, terrorizing and lynching African-Americans attempting to exercise their new rights.
"By comparison" being the operative term. While the US Reconstruction was messy and fraught with violence, the former rebels didn't go and try overthrowing/conquering neighboring governments and pillaging neighboring countries for decades after the war (King of Dingling and the Haw Wars). They also weren't rampaging around the border until crushed for another 7 years after the main conflict ended. Most notably, the Black Flags became powerful enough that, after the Black Flags fled into Vietnam to escape Qing reprisal, the Vietnamese government just let them be. And their extortion schemes made them rich enough to attract American and European soldiers of fortune.

And, of course, the primary issue in the war (anti-Manchu ethnic tensions and governmental incompetence) weren't addressed in the slightest. The US Civil War at least led to the nationwide abolition of slavery (granted, only outside of the prison system. And that doesn't address sharecropping and general anti-black discrimination in American society), which was the central issue of the war (the CSA's constitution and the main differences between that and the US constitution + the Declarations of Independence from half the seceding states testifies as much). The Qing gave more positions of higher rank to Han Chinese individuals as a consequence of the war, true, but the overall structure of society was effectively the same. The Manchu were still in charge and the government still could not handle major disasters or foreign incursions due to widespread corruption. Events over the next 50 years would only exacerbate those frustrations and ultimately culminate in the Xinhai Revolution.

Anyways, back to the OP, to make it a Taiping equivalent, the war would have to ravage the richest parts of the US, like New York, over the course of a decade. Anti-government and ethnic tensions against a ruling minority make sense, so maybe having more hostility between the old Anglo-Saxon elite vs the Irish, Scottish, Scots-Irish, Germans, Africans, etc.? If the US conquers Mexico like some wanted, that injects another ethnic group with a different religion (different enough to have that be a reason not to annex the region and its peoples) with a bone to pick with the ruling class.

I have really enjoyed watching this thread evolve and would like to make some contributions.

My initial reaction involved the comparison of the Taiping Rebellion to the European Wars of Religion in the 16th and 17th century. In percentage terms the Wars of Religion were more devastating in terms of lives lost than the Taiping Rebellion. For example, the Thirty Years War caused the death of 1/3rd to 1/2 the population of Germany. The Taiping Rebellion obviously caused far fewer deaths in percentage terms. Therefore, I started to imagine how a Thirty Years War type event could begin in the United States and I concluded it was profoundly unlikely as the United States was reasonably tolerant of all sorts of sects.

However, if you marry religious zealotry with existing political conflicts (as the Taiping did) I think you could get something truly horrifying, with the obvious candidate being a slightly more competent John Brown. As some people know (but many do not) John Brown's plan was to arm and free enslaved people AND to overthrow the United States government, replacing the constitution with something that reminds me somewhat of the English Commonwealth under Cromwell. In particular the leading figure in the government would be the Commander.

IOTL he captures the Federal Armory at Harpers Ferry but ultimately fails because he has far too few men and because he remains at the armory after capturing it, thereby allowing local militia and ultimately Federal Troops to besiege and capture him. He also allowed trains to continue through Harpers Ferry thereby quickly spreading word. If he had had more men (perhaps 1000) had quickly captured a large store of arms and had moved quickly to begin freeing slaves perhaps he could have gained some critical momentum. If the Virginians had reacted with brutality (perhaps brutally lynching prisoners) we might imagine that Brown gains significant support in the North and you have a civil war infused with religious zealotry. Furthermore, in this case, Federal troops would be supporting the slaveocracy which could perhaps lead to a more balanced (and therefore bloodier) war.

While I view this outcome as unlikely, I do not see it as impossible.

I have really enjoyed watching this thread evolve and would like to make some contributions.

My initial reaction involved the comparison of the Taiping Rebellion to the European Wars of Religion in the 16th and 17th century. In percentage terms the Wars of Religion were more devastating in terms of lives lost than the Taiping Rebellion. For example, the Thirty Years War caused the death of 1/3rd to 1/2 the population of Germany. The Taiping Rebellion obviously caused far fewer deaths in percentage terms. Therefore, I started to imagine how a Thirty Years War type event could begin in the United States and I concluded it was profoundly unlikely as the United States was reasonably tolerant of all sorts of sects.

However, if you marry religious zealotry with existing political conflicts (as the Taiping did) I think you could get something truly horrifying, with the obvious candidate being a slightly more competent John Brown. As some people know (but many do not) John Brown's plan was to arm and free enslaved people AND to overthrow the United States government, replacing the constitution with something that reminds me somewhat of the English Commonwealth under Cromwell. In particular the leading figure in the government would be the Commander.

IOTL he captures the Federal Armory at Harpers Ferry but ultimately fails because he has far too few men and because he remains at the armory after capturing it, thereby allowing local militia and ultimately Federal Troops to besiege and capture him. He also allowed trains to continue through Harpers Ferry thereby quickly spreading word. If he had had more men (perhaps 1000) had quickly captured a large store of arms and had moved quickly to begin freeing slaves perhaps he could have gained some critical momentum. If the Virginians had reacted with brutality (perhaps brutally lynching prisoners) we might imagine that Brown gains significant support in the North and you have a civil war infused with religious zealotry. Furthermore, in this case, Federal troops would be supporting the slaveocracy which could perhaps lead to a more balanced (and therefore bloodier) war.

Speaking of bloody how exactly deadly this American taiping or in this case 30 years war will get

Why do you think you'll be more likely to have a 30-years war than American Taiping rebellion one?

One thing I just realized:
If the Taiping rebellion is happening in America, it probably isn't happening in China, meaning China's also going top be very different going forward.

If the Taiping rebellion is happening in America, it probably isn't happening in China, meaning China's also going top be very different going forward.
Hmmm oh you're right about that so maybe the Chinese rulers who see the shitshow of a Taping rebellion in the Americas will make some decisions to not repeat the same Horror on its own soil

How would religious turmoil in America affect matters in China, outside of the missionary Hong Xiuquan meeting not being in China potentially?
Hmmm oh you're right about that so maybe the Chinese rulers who see the shitshow of a Taping rebellion in the Americas will make some decisions to not repeat the same Horror on its own soil
Qing leadership during this era was not noted to be very adept at learning from their own mistakes, let alone the mistakes of other nations on the other side of the world. Case in point: the fact that there were 2 Opium Wars. Also the defeats in the Sino-French War, Sino-Japanese War, Boxer Rebellion.

How would religious turmoil in America affect matters in China, outside of the missionary Hong Xiuquan meeting not being in China potentially?
Well,it doesn't necessarily have to, it's just a question of whether we're transplanting the Taiping situation onto American affairs, or having them run parallel.

Well,it doesn't necessarily have to, it's just a question of whether we're transplanting the Taiping situation onto American affairs, or having them run parallel.
What I'm saying is that the situation in the US has almost no bearing on the situation in the Qing Empire, so the US having some nonsense happening wouldn't logically change much in China, unless it happened much much earlier than the Taiping Rebellion, in which case butterflies abound. Transplanting it doesn't make sense since the core issues (standard of living plummeting, overpopulation and lack of land, an epidemic of opium, racial tensions between the Manchu and the Han Chinese, humiliating defeats, inability for young men to get married due to female infanticide skewing the gender ratios, millenarianism (the White Lotus and other such rebellions also had religious undertones)) are still present with or without the US. Even without the Taiping Rebellion, Qing China was a powderkeg.

What I'm saying is that the situation in the US has almost no bearing on the situation in the Qing Empire, so the US having some nonsense happening wouldn't logically change much in China, unless it happened much much earlier than the Taiping Rebellion, in which case butterflies abound. Transplanting it doesn't make sense since the core issues (standard of living plummeting, overpopulation and lack of land, an epidemic of opium, racial tensions between the Manchu and the Han Chinese, humiliating defeats, inability for young men to get married due to female infanticide skewing the gender ratios, millenarianism (the White Lotus and other such rebellions also had religious undertones)) are still present with or without the US. Even without the Taiping Rebellion, Qing China was a powderkeg.
Yeah, that's fair, Qing China was logically already heading towards that path. I suppose the era will be defined by the time two pretty major countries were taken over by cults.

Simple. You know that whole First Amendment thing? "Thou shalt not make any law respecting an establishment of religion." Yeah, about that...

Have the 2nd Great Awakening create a sect in one of the larger denominations (ex. Baptists, Methodists, etc)(*) which passionately wants a theocracy and doesn't care for any of this secularism bullshit. At first it just focuses on building up their numbers by broadcasting their message and "maintaining a full quiver for the Lord." Eventually they start moving their families away from the law and into more defensible locations, into the mountains and the West. They build up whole towns and villages and do their best to discourage members of other denominations from settling in their areas. For extra fun, one sect starts making inroads into the ex-slave population after the Civil War, where it basically turns into a race war theology. This is probably the closest to what Taiping actually was: local ethnic grievances layered into broader Han-Manchu grievances and made by theology into a genocidal monstrosity.

(*) or multiple sects in multiple denominations. Have it be a general trend in the 2GA where millennarian preachers of all denominations are convinced that Rapture is coming in the year 19X0 and they must build the Kingdom of God on Earth before that.

Last edited:
Then they strike. Thundering out of the plains, the valleys and the mountainsides comes a tide of murderous bandits with God on their lips.

Now, in order for American!Taiping to actually cause the US government as many problems as actual!Taiping did for the Qing, you need to add in several additional factors, because the Qing were facing seven simultaneous crises that severely hampered their ability to crush the Taiping. Without them, the Taiping Rebellion would not have cost about 5% of China's population in casualties.
1. A combination of century-old government policies meant to curb under-reporting on provincial census figures, and a massive growth in population in the meantime, mean that by the 1840s the tax structure is meant for a population that's only a third of China's actual size. So the government is missing out on a massive amount of revenue.

2. Due to complete reliance on Spanish silver since the Ming dynasty, there is no standard currency in China. Due to recent developments in the Americas, the Spanish galleons have stopped coming and now there is a massive silver crunch and what few taxes are being levied are not getting paid.

3. The Qing government functions on the libertarian model: almost all things we take for granted as things the government takes care of are actually done by local landowners who cooperate with the local governor, and are paid out of the governor's own pocket. Governors basically rely on these families for everything.

4. Government officials are terminally underpaid, meaning they have to resort to massive corruption just to fill their budgets. Due to stuff related to Problem #1, the budgets that the governors get are meant to be used on a population a third of its actual size.

5. The government exams are draconian beyond belief. Less than 1% of test-takers pass, and studying to pass one can easily take 30 years of your life. This means that there is actually a shortage of government officials as is, never mind all the additional stuff the government is just not doing. And what about the failures? Ordinarily, failed students would go back to their provinces and serve in government-affiliated roles: teachers, investigators, tax collectors, etc, etc. But due to recent developments, there's a lot of unrest among them. This is the social stratum where Hong Xiuquan came from.

6. A massive problem with native opium smuggling from Sichuan and Yunnan. You heard me right: native opium production. The British ain't got shit on these guys, and it's estimated by gov't officials that illegal opium consumption is costing the Qing economy around 50% of what it could be earning. Modern estimates cut that down from 50% to 20%, but that's still a massive problem. Moreover, bans on opium consumption since the 1730s mean that just taxing it (which they eventually end up doing in the 1850s, and would prove massively profitable) is politically unpopular.

7. Oh, and the British. Compared to everything that came before, the First Opium War was basically just the straw that broke the camel's back, and the Second Opium War was just adding more straw.

Note: for a general overview of the above, watch the following videos:

Now, credit where credit's due: the Qing weren't ignorant of these problems and there were actually government officials and even members of the imperial family(1) who knew about them and wanted drastic reforms. In fact, the issue of reform was so prominent that the Qing court was riven with factionalism as different officials presented different plans for how to deal with each of these problems. Sadly, a few avoidable political missteps (Prince Gong being passed over for the throne, Cixi's rise to power) combined with the general devastation caused by the Taiping Rebellion to delay the start of China's modernization by over 50 years, by which time too much damage had been dealt and it was too late to avoid the 1911 Revolution. Had those circumstances been avoided, the Qing could've easily fully reformed their government and modernized just as their rivals in Japan and Russia had.
But I digress...

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Gong
Clearly, the US government needs to be weakened and the rebels need to be strengthened, but it's also obvious that China's problems can't be translated into 1800s America very well. But let's start with some ideas:

1. The American!Taiping don't pop off until after the Civil War, which gives them two-three generations to ferment and gain followers. This will make up for the US military's greater competence compared to the Qing by increasing the number of rebels.
2. Political corruption on the level of Boss Tweed is even worse in the 50s-70s. This damages public confidence in the government, makes the Civil War last longer as the military is frequently interfered with to its detriment, and generally makes American politics an absolute mess. By the end of it, almost every major city is run by its own local political clique, with the federal government's will being sporadically enforced at best.
Sorry, did I say clique? I may have given away the game...
3. Due to all of the above, there is a growing disillusionment with the American system. Before the rebellion shows everyone just how bad everything has gotten, most people are convinced that the system has merely been led astray by corrupt men and believe it can be fixed. After the rebellion, many people will be convinced that the American system was never going to work and begin looking abroad for political systems to emulate. Many turn to communism. Others just want to take their state out of the Union and go their own way.

Last edited:
Simple. You know that whole First Amendment thing? "Thou shalt not make any law respecting an establishment of religion." Yeah, about that...

Have the 2nd Great Awakening create a sect in one of the larger denominations (ex. Baptists, Methodists, etc)(*) which passionately wants a theocracy and doesn't care for any of this secularism bullshit. At first it just focuses on building up their numbers by broadcasting their message and "maintaining a full quiver for the Lord." Eventually they start moving their families away from the law and into more defensible locations, into the mountains and the West. They build up whole towns and villages and do their best to discourage members of other denominations from settling in their areas. For extra fun, one sect starts making inroads into the ex-slave population after the Civil War, where it basically turns into a race war theology. This is probably the closest to what Taiping actually was: local ethnic grievances layered into broader Han-Manchu grievances and made by theology into a genocidal monstrosity.

(*) or multiple sects in multiple denominations. Have it be a general trend in the 2GA where millennarian preachers of all denominations are convinced that Rapture is coming in the year 19X0 and they must build the Kingdom of God on Earth before that.
Then they strike. Thundering out of the plains, the valleys and the mountainsides comes a tide of murderous bandits with God on their lips.

Now, in order for American!Taiping to actually cause the US government as many problems as actual!Taiping did for the Qing, you need to add in several additional factors, because the Qing were facing seven simultaneous crises that severely hampered their ability to crush the Taiping.
1. A combination of century-old government policies meant to curb under-reporting on provincial census figures, and a massive growth in population in the meantime, mean that by the 1840s the tax structure is meant for a population that's only a third of China's actual size. So the government is missing out on a massive amount of revenue.

2. Due to complete reliance on Spanish silver since the Ming dynasty, there is no standard currency in China. Due to recent developments in the Americas, the Spanish galleons have stopped coming and now there is a massive silver crunch and what few taxes are being levied are not getting paid.

3. The Qing government functions on the libertarian model: almost all things we take for granted as things the government takes care of are actually done by local landowners who cooperate with the local governor, and are paid out of the governor's own pocket. Governors basically rely on these families for everything.

4. Government officials are terminally underpaid, meaning they have to resort to massive corruption just to fill their budgets. Due to stuff related to Problem #1, the budgets that the governors get are meant to be used on a population a third of its actual size.

5. The government exams are draconian beyond belief. Less than 1% of test-takers pass, and studying to pass one can easily take 30 years of your life. This means that there is actually a shortage of government officials as is, never mind all the additional stuff the government is just not doing. And what about the failures? Ordinarily, failed students would go back to their provinces and serve in government-affiliated roles: teachers, investigators, tax collectors, etc, etc. But due to recent developments, there's a lot of unrest among them. This is the social stratum where Hong Xiuquan came from.

6. A massive problem with native opium smuggling from Sichuan and Yunnan. You heard me right: native opium production. The British ain't got shit on these guys, and it's estimated by gov't officials that illegal opium consumption is costing the Qing economy around 50% of what it could be earning. Modern estimates cut that down from 50% to 20%, but that's still a massive problem. Moreover, bans on opium consumption since the 1730s mean that just taxing it (which they eventually end up doing in the 1850s, and would prove massively profitable) is politically unpopular.

7. Oh, and the British. Compared to everything that came before, the First Opium War was basically just the straw that broke the camel's back, and the Second Opium War was just adding more straw.

Note: for a general overview of the above, watch the following videos:

Now, credit where credit's due: the Qing weren't ignorant of these problems and there were actually government officials and even members of the imperial family(1) who knew about them and wanted drastic reforms. In fact, the issue of reform was so prominent that the Qing court was riven with factionalism as different officials presented different plans for how to deal with each of these problems. Sadly, a few avoidable political missteps (Prince Gong being passed over for the throne, Cixi's rise to power) combined with the general devastation caused by the Taiping Rebellion to delay the start of China's modernization by over 50 years, by which time too much damage had been dealt and it was too late to avoid the 1911 Revolution. Had those circumstances been avoided, the Qing could've easily fully reformed their government and modernized just as their rivals in Japan and Russia had.
But I digress...

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Gong
Clearly, the US government needs to be weakened and the rebels need to be strengthened, but it's also obvious that China's problems can't be translated into 1800s America very well. But let's start with some ideas:

1. The American!Taiping don't pop off until after the Civil War, which gives them two-three generations to ferment and gain followers. This will make up for the US military's greater competence compared to the Qing by increasing the number of rebels.
2. Political corruption on the level of Boss Tweed is even worse in the 50s-70s. This damages public confidence in the government, makes the Civil War last longer as the military is frequently interfered with to its detriment, and generally makes American politics an absolute mess. By the end of it, almost every major city is run by its own local political clique, with the federal government's will being sporadically enforced at best.
Sorry, did I say clique? I may have given away the game...
3. Due to all of the above, there is a growing disillusionment with the American system. Before the rebellion shows everyone just how bad everything has gotten, most people are convinced that the system has merely been led astray by corrupt men and believe it can be fixed. After the rebellion, many people will be convinced that the American system was never going to work and begin looking abroad for political systems to emulate. Many turn to communism. Others just want to take their state out of the Union and go their own way.
Dude just make a TL work already because you can only see come make a story about this

Yeah, that's fair, Qing China was logically already heading towards that path. I suppose the era will be defined by the time two pretty major countries were taken over by cults.
I think it could be always possible that the rebellion in China is very different than the OTL one even if the American Taiping doesnt affect it directly
Like say, how you mentioned about Hong not meeting that missionary - that alone could result in either Hong never making Christianity a central part of his rebellion's character resulting in a "Taiping" taking inspiration on some of the more traditional chinese religions(like, say, Buddhism) or even Hong never leading it at all with someone else starting their own revolution to overthrow the Qing based on these factors

That way, if someone were to make a TL about this, we could transplant Taiping into the US while having something sightly different going on in China as a subplot

I think it could be always possible that the rebellion in China is very different than the OTL one even if the American Taiping doesnt affect it directly
Like say, how you mentioned about Hong not meeting that missionary - that alone could result in either Hong never making Christianity a central part of his rebellion's character resulting in a "Taiping" taking inspiration on some of the more traditional chinese religions(like, say, Buddhism) or even Hong never leading it at all with someone else starting their own revolution to overthrow the Qing based on these factors

That way, if someone were to make a TL about this, we could transplant Taiping into the US while having something sightly different going on in China as a subplot
Hong met that missionary in the 1830s, so the PoD would have to be earlier than that and significant enough that missionaries aren't going to that part of China, I'd imagine. There was quite an effort to proselytize in China at the time and it didn't have to be that particular missionary. He didn't actually pay the Christian pamphlets any mind until he had multiple fever dreams from nervous breakdowns, so simply having Christian materials on hand would do the trick. The man was seeking answers for his fever dreams and he wanted something that claimed to be divine and not something he grew up with (otherwise he would've not founded a cult or at least based it on traditional Chinese beliefs). And the US having a mess of a time doesn't change Hong's life other than that. He's probably gonna be born, do the same things, fail the exam (1% chance of passing, after all), and have the same reaction.

As for the religious aspect, IIRC, the Taiping God Worshipping Society cult was influenced and bolstered by the millenarianist belief in the return of the Maitreya Buddha and the redemption of the living world. There had been a number of rebellions centered around that belief through the centuries (like with Han Shantong, a major Red Turban Rebellion leader, called himself the King of Light and the future Hongwu Emperor was a subordinate of Han Shantong's son. Plus the White Lotus in general as well). It's just that the increase in Christian missionary activity makes it all the more likely that Christian millenarianism would also get injected into the mess in some form or another, since those religious rebellions tended to be a hodge-podge of beliefs, often marginal ones that weren't well understood by the followers (I mean, Manicheanism also found its way into the White Lotus and their millenarianist rebellions).

I think John Brown being more competent is key but I think not in the way you suggest. I think if John Brown is competent in garnering even more widespread sympathy (and he actually had it in heaps, both in the US and abroad) he could be hailed a martyr in not just a political sense but also religious.

Take his last words:

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed it might be done."

Now others have mentioned John Brown wanted to do away with the American state etc - imagine, if you bear with me, that the victorious Union does just this... in line with washing away the guilt a second republic is proclaimed, in similar vein to the multiple French Republics, with Brown as its father and martyr in overt religious tones (let's assume Lincoln's assassination is butterflied).

I don't think it needs too much sway, a more angry and sympathetic US public who despise slavery in political AND overt religious terms heed belatedly the words of John Brown, proclaimed by a majority a political martyr, proclaimed by a significant minority a political and religious martyr.

It then begs the question for me, if you can realistically do that, can you realistically make John Brown's execution the spark of the civil war?

Just my penny's worth of spit balled thoughts.

Now you made me imagine Hong starting an cultivation-based genocide cult XD

How about...

The South takes a much more defensive stance in the civil war, an attritional conflict with little movement, basically earlier trench warfare. Have Lincoln die in his first term and whoever succeeds him be hamstrung by a weak and divided government that meddles in the war. The war drags on, and government incompetence and meddling means the costs spiral. Taxes are hiked. With federal resources focussed on a slow, grinding campaign in the south, critical projects are neglected and living standards plummet. Finally the war ends with a brutal occupation and constant guerrilla warfare in the conquered south. Disillusioned demobilised soldiers return to homes in a stagnant, angry world. A radical preacher arises, proclaiming this the statt of the end times. His stance is simple: only a godly government can guide the elect to paradise. Other preachers fall into his orbit, and he starts to talk about being a prophet, speaking to God. The movement gains traction, popular from its soup kitchens and communal farms and fiery preaching. The federal authorities decide it is a risk and send troops to arrest the leader; they bungle it, too few soldiers, incompetently led. In the south, a KKK movement rises up. In the west, an alliance of native American groups, furious at being betrayed by the us government after they fought for them on the promise of their own polities, explodes into violence. In the cities of the north east, attempts to conscript people so soon after the last war causes huge riots. Amidst this, the religious rebels, styling themselves the Godly Republic, rise up, ranks swelled by veterans, the poor, the disillusioned...

Just add a religious spin to the OTL Civil War. The ACW was more destructive per year when adjusted for population than the Taiping Civil War.

Ie the Tailing Rebellion saw 20-30 million killed yes, but that was over 14 years and out of a population of 420 million. That means China lost, on average, a bit under half a percent of its population per year. The US Civil War saw some 2% of the population die in the army, plus an undetermined number of civilians. That translates to somewhere over one half of a percent of the population per year.

The reason the Taiping Rebellion was so bloody was because the population of China was so huge and the war lasted over a decade, not because it was exceptionally worse than other such wars.

The reason the Taiping Rebellion was so ill remembered is not due to how many were killed in just that war, but the general status of the Qing Dynasty at the time. Mortality during the Taiping Rebellion was generally contained to roughly the central east sector of the empire, but the entirety of the Great Qing domain was in some kind of turmoil. Rebellions raged in most of the provinces of the Empire, usually petty bandits, but in other cases large scale rebellions, the Taiping Tianguo was simply the most ferocious and dangerous of these rebel incidents. Further, the Great Qing Empire for a short time during the 1860s seemed to have essentially been collapsing and or already ended, it is a miracle that it survived the turmoil.