AHC Alternate or Surviving Languages

Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to make alternate or surviving languages you can even make a language map if you want to.

This thread was inspired by the Caravels of Portugal Alternate Ethnicities thread

Example:

Graeco-Indian
Official Language: Indo Greek Kingdom
Language Family: Indo European -> Hellenic -> Koine Greek -> Graeco-Indian
Writing Script: Traditional Greek Alphabet, Perso-Arabic, Devanagari
Loan words: 30% Hindi and 10% Persian

Last edited:
I've tought about idea of Caucasian Gothic-one group of Goths escapes from Huns not to the west but to the South, like Alan ancestors of Ossetians and Gothic (heavy influenced by Caucasian languages) speaking community survives in Northern Caucasus

Last edited:
Prydish
Official Language: Kingdom of Prydain
Language Family: Indo-European -> Celtic -> Insular Celtic -> Britonnic -> Prydish
Writing Script: Latin (Brittonic alphabet)
Loan words: 25% Anglo-Saxon 15% Old Norse
History: Basically, the Anglo-Saxon invasions have a smaller effect on the British Isles, which results on the language on England being a Brittonic one with influences from the Anglo-Saxons and the Danish, other effects are that in Cumberland and Northumberland (and part of the Lowlands) there is another language called Cumbrian, which resembles a mix between Welsh and Scots

Last edited:
Prydish
Official Language: Kingdom of Prydain
Language Family: Indo-European -> Celtic -> Insular Celtic -> Britonnic -> Prydish
Writing Script: Latin (Brittonic alphabet)
Loan words: 25% Anglo-Saxon 15% Old Norse
History: Basically, the Anglo-Saxon invasions have a smaller effect on the British Isles, which results on the language on England being a Brittonic one with influences from the Anglo-Saxons and the Danish, other effects are that in Cumberland and Northumberland (and part of the Lowlands) there is another language called Cumbrian, which resembles a mix between Welsh and Scots

very intresting language i like the idea

Skallagrim

Banned
I've always thought that Tocharian surviving -- this pocket of Indo-European speakers, surviving in the oasis cities of the Tarim Basin -- would be really cool. Especially if the migrations into the region still happen (it really was a cross-roads), so you get a bunch of ethnically mixed (probably mostly Turkic, genetically) people, but they speak an Indo-European language. I'm having fun imagining the weird nineteenth century theories that would result. "The Kingdom of Prester John has been found!" "This is actually the garden of Eden, and these people are the Root Race, from which all others descend!"

You'd get all kinds of fun stuff like that, I bet.

Afro-Romance
Official Language of: Empire of Africa
Language Family: Romance
Writing Script: Latin
Loan Words 10% Vandalic. 10% Berber

History: Gregory the Patrician wins the Battle of Sufetula and uses his success from that to turn the Exarchate into an Empire by pushing the Arabs back east of Cyrenaica.

Mando-Punic
Official Language of: Hannonian Republic of New Carthage
Language Family: West Semitic
Writing Script: Punic
Loan words: 30% Mande, 10% Wolof, 5% Kru, 10% other Niger-Congo.

History: Following his expedition beyond the Straits of Gibraltar, Hanno the Great founded a small trade outpost on the West African coast (OTL Sierra Leone area). The city remained small and barely connected to the mother city until the Punic Wars, but after the destruction of Old Carthage by the Romans, many exiles fled to the city, causing it to grow exponentially and allowing it to exercise political dominance over much of the West African coast. However, its language especially was heavily mixed with the native dialects of the area, causing its vocabulary to be roughly half Niger-Congo despite retaining a modified Semitic grammar.

Ima just go and start from the beginning, if we are going be evolution beliefs.

We, as basic beings will imitate sound, what if we do that then draw the shape of the object/animal that makes its corresponding sound.
Object: sound: letter
Examples:
Tree= airnk= A line with an arrow facing up an top.
Dry leaves= crrik= and oval with a zigzag through it.
Sheep= Mbaa= an oval with bumps.

I think it would be worth being more creative with what we are naming these languages - we don't call English "Germano-Romance" after all, we call it "English".

"Greco-Indian" could simply be "Bactrian" or something. "African Romance" could just be "African" (taken from the fact that 'Africa' originally simply referred to Roman/Greek controlled regions in Africa).

Here's one: "Yorkish".

The idea here would be that Harald Hardrada is more successful in England and the Normans are less successful. We end up seeing England divided into the Kingdom of York and the Kingdom of England. Over time, the language of York evolves to incorporate far greater Norse influence as a result of cultural infusion from Scandinavian settlers. In the south, "English" evolves on similar lines to OTL with more Romantic/French influence. In the modern day "Yorkish" is the language of the Republic of York, one of the three states of Great Britain (Scotland, York, and England-Wales).

Language: Haudenorsk
Official Language Of: Tinna'kemárka (OTL New York/Pennsylvania)
Family: Skraelo-Germanic
Writing System: Runish

History: Vikings stayed in North America and mingled.

Last edited:
From my TL.

Language: Kanimi
Country/Region: Egypt, Libya, the Levant
Family: Nilo-Saharan -> Saharan -> Kanuri -> Tarjumo -> Kanimi
Script: Arabic
Vocabulary: 43% Arabic, 40% Kanuri, 6% Coptic, 2% French, 5% Judaeo-Arabic, 4% Nobiin
Speakers: 40,000 (descendants of Kanem settlers and palace servants in Egypt during the Safawid dynasty)

History: When the Kanem Empire conquered Egypt and its rulers assimilated, their liturgical language of Tarjumo slowly became integrated and was influenced by Egyptian Arabic, Coptic, the Nubian languages, the Arabized Hebrew language, and even from the traces of French from the Latin Crusaders. Soon, this language became the tongue of the ruling class and was adopted as the court language until the fall of the Safawids. When the dynasty collapsed, many speakers fled to Libya, the Sudan, and the Levant.

well from my timeline ( iam still working on it so this migth change)
Language : Alatin and its variants
Country /region : the great berber empire
Family: Indo-European , Italic , Romance , African Romance

vocabulary: 40% Tifinagh (variants depending on what part of the empire with Moorish and especialy Numidian being the greatest influence as it was near to the capital ) 10% Neo-Punic , 60% latin

History: Askel I of altava exapnded in to roman north africa after the deposition of Justinian and him defeating the mauri his expansion continued Under his son Aderfi who moved his capital to carthage , in his rule his son Askel the prince conquered the weakend visigothic kingdom and became a vassal to his father as new king of hispania , his brother also expanded his kingdom before figthing no new expansion ocurred as consolidation began under Gwafa II and his father expansion to the south west the berber emperors became lords of most of north africa except egypt leanding to the growth of african romance languages but the great size of the empire meant that regional varities began to evolve for example the territory of hispania was more had some african romance and beber influence but it had more germanic and latin influence , while the souther nomadic berbers kept more influences from their original languge while their lybian subjects had more greek influence.

I've always thought that Tocharian surviving -- this pocket of Indo-European speakers, surviving in the oasis cities of the Tarim Basin -- would be really cool. Especially if the migrations into the region still happen (it really was a cross-roads), so you get a bunch of ethnically mixed (probably mostly Turkic, genetically) people, but they speak an Indo-European language. I'm having fun imagining the weird nineteenth century theories that would result. "The Kingdom of Prester John has been found!" "This is actually the garden of Eden, and these people are the Root Race, from which all others descend!"

You'd get all kinds of fun stuff like that, I bet.

They key here would be denying the Turkic population demographic dominance that was gained through massacre of Tocharian and Saka cities and locales by the Qhara-Qhitan (who massacred the populations due to religious motivations, sparing only those who converted) and to a lesser degree by the Tang Dynasty.

Here is an example of a language:

Language: Raeni (adopting endings for certain words from Hurrian of the Ardini form ex: Biainili, Hurri, Nuziyi etc)
County/Region: Pontic Steppe, specifically, the steppe surrounding the Volga River from Kazan to Astrakhan.
Family: Indo-European -> Iranic/Iranian -> Eastern Iranian -> Scythic -> Raeni
Writing Script: Hurrian cursive cuneiform and artistically, Hurrian formal cuneiform
Loan Words: 33% of tongue derived from the Ardini prestige dialect of Hurrian, 3% from Finno-Ugartic tonguess, 6% from eastern sources such as Siberia or China and the rest is shared with other Indo-European tongues.

This is a current brain child of mine for the future of my timeline, wherein Scythian folk shall play a grand role. It will be modified possibly, but still, current sketch.

Language: Novgorodian
Region: Northern European Russia, especially centered around Veliky Novgorod
Family: Indo-European -> Balto-Slavic -> Slavic -> North Slavic -> Novgorodian
Writing script: Cyrillic (Or Latin, if it goes Catholic rather than Orthodox)
Loan words: up to 10% Old Norse, up to 20% Uralic, 8% Greek, 7% German, 5% Latin. (To be fair, I don't know enough about Russian loanwords OTL to make this make sense. If Russian IOTL has more loanwords from Latin, Greek, etc, then this may get edited)

This language is basically what if the theorized extinct North Slavic branch from OTL that Novgorodian Russian was supposedly influenced by survived and thrived with somewhat heavy Norse and Uralic influence, marking a divide between the northern Rus and the southern Rus that is nearly equivalent to that of Poland and Russia IOTL.

Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to make alternate or surviving languages you can even make a language map if you want to.

This thread was inspired by the Caravels of Portugal Alternate Ethnicities thread

Example:

Graeco-Indian
Official Language: Indo Greek Kingdom
Language Family: Indo European -> Hellenic -> Koine Greek -> Graeco-Indian
Writing Script: Traditional Greek Alphabet, Perso-Arabic, Devanagari
Loan words: 30% Hindi and 10% Persian
Sizeable Dalmatian Romance in the Balkans would be fascinating instead dying out before 1900.