AHC: A surviving Aztec or Inca Empire invades the Spanish mainland

qazse

Gone Fishin'
This is an idea I’ve been cooking up for a while now. With any PoD after Columbus’s first voyage, how can you make so that not only do either the Aztec or Inca Empires (or both) survive, but manage to launch an invasion of the Spanish mainland? They’d probably need British support for this, I’m guessing…

Bonus points if they can overrun the country!

The Inca Empire survives as an independent entity, surrounded north and south by Spanish Viceroyalties. Eventually, tensions flare up in the viceroyalties between the local elites and the Spanish viceroys, and they coincide with some European war which renders Spain proper to send reinforcements to their garrisons in the Americas. The Viceroyalties rebel, the Inca Empire supports the rebels and they successfully become independent polities, allied with the Incas.
For simplicity' sake, let's say we have an alliance of the Inca Empire and the Republics of Chile, La Plata and Granada. In order to secure the independence of the later three from a Spanish counterattack, they join the European war, raise a navy and invade Spain.

With any PoD after Columbus’s first voyage, how can you make so that not only do either the Aztec or Inca Empires (or both) survive, but manage to launch an invasion of the Spanish mainland?
Well there is a DLC in CK2 with an Aztec invasion at the end of the Middle Ages (The name of the DLc is Sunsete Invasion I think you'll enjoy it). Now in real life it's impossible, they don't have the technology, experience or even biological resistance for it.
They’d probably need British support for this, I’m guessing…
The English at the time did not have the ability to compete with the Spaniards. And if they had that strength, they wouldn't spend it bringing natives to Europe.
Bonus points if they can overrun the country!
If for some reason (basically ABS) they arrive in Iberia they will be defeated by the local armies that were infinitely superior (if they don't die of diseases beforehand).

Easiest way is keeping a puppet Inca monarch around which serves as a rallying point for a future rebellion by Spanish colonists a couple of centuries later. When ttl Peru breaks free, they name their new country after the old empire as a source of historical legitimacy, as Argentina considered iotl, and this country partakes in an invasion of Spain sometime in the 20th century probably.

Pure ASB. Reality is not an EU4 game.
Meh, one can be more imaginative than that—especially since this is an alternate-history forum. :rolleyes:

The OP never said the invasion has to happen immediately after contact—some sort of Aztec or Incan empire that survives, gradually modernizes, could pull it off in their equivalent of the 20th century, possibly as a volunteer force participating in an alt-D-Day or other.

It isn't particularly plausible, but it's not really ASB either...

Well there is a DLC in CK2 with an Aztec invasion at the end of the Middle Ages (The name of the DLc is Sunsete Invasion I think you'll enjoy it). Now in real life it's impossible, they don't have the technology, experience or even biological resistance for it.
Ahhh yes, the one where the Aztecs took boats from Vikings (they certainly went a bit off course) and then managed to conquer North America using rifles (including the Great Plains, without any horses) and then brought 100,000 men to Europe. Makes for interesting AARs, and I will admit it does do well to get across how evil Aztec society was. And explain why the Spanish managed to get up to two hundred thousand people from the allies of the Aztecs, who were somewhat upset of the Aztecs provoking wars just for the sake of more sacrifices. Though actually, I think it would be interesting to see the Aztecs invading the Spanish Caribbean. This way they at least know about the existence of Europe.

Not happening unless surviving aztec and Inca do very well and latam as well after the spanish are kicked and a war like ww1 occurs were the inca and the mexica join the side figthing spain and like america in OTl send troops over the Atlantic to fight

How are we defining invasion? A few nobles of a surviving empire ending up in Spain and causing a diplomatic incident whilst drunk count?

Aztecs and Incas manage to survive with some way but Spaniards manage to colonise Central America and OTL Colombia. Spain falls to revolution in 1930 and Spanish royal family flees to Spanish America and declare Kingdom of Spain. During some Great War Aztec and Inca empires invade the kingdom.

Meh, one can be more imaginative than that—especially since this is an alternate-history forum.
alternate history != fantasy

Both the Aztecs & Inca collapse before either of them even remotely consider adopting transoceanic seafaring -- rendering OP's AHC moot.

The Aztecs, a foreign polity to Mesoamerica, had enemies on all sides by the time the Spanish arrived; it's no coincidence that hundreds of thousands of indigenous people flocked to the Spanish to burn Tenochtitlan to the ground.
The Inca have passed their climax and their overextension across the Andes was very clearly tearing the Empire apart, sans succession crisis & civil war.

Last edited:
Meh, one can be more imaginative than that—especially since this is an alternate-history forum. :rolleyes:

The OP never said the invasion has to happen immediately after contact—some sort of Aztec or Incan empire that survives, gradually modernizes, could pull it off in their equivalent of the 20th century, possibly as a volunteer force participating in an alt-D-Day or other.

It isn't particularly plausible, but it's not really ASB either...
It's the same discourse as geological PODs - making it about absolute possibility rather than at least decent plausibility tends to create discussions more concentrated on how to find the potential setup for the idea to work rather than discuss what in the idea itself does or does not work.
I mean, technically said 'alt D-Day' could happen, but if that is the best case made for the AHC, I wouldn't really call it doable.

Step 1: have them actually survive the first century after contact. Absolute first thing you need, no matter what, is for the conquistadors that jumpstarted Spanish colonization (Cortez, later Pizarro) to fail. Prior to their flash-success, the Spanish government was more interested in opening up relations with the natives and generally figuring out what was going on before jumping in headfirst. Without them, Spain is much more cautious and less aware of its actual position vis a vis the natives until later. This, combined with a distraction in the rear from a resurgent Morocco, can slow down Spanish colonial efforts for some time. Still probably not enough for the Aztecs, but definitely enough for the other European powers to all take slices of the New World, which makes it easier for Mexico / the Inca to survive by playing rival powers off against each other.

Step 2: the Inca / Mexico survive and eventually modernize to catch up with the Europeans around the late 19th century.

Step 3: a coalition war takes place where Spain is on the losing side and gets occupied, and one of the occupying nations is Mexico or the Inca.

No details can be given beyond that.

Last edited:
How is hundreds of EXTREMELY unlikely chances being enforced to reach a scenario any different? Instead of saying "Aliens made it happen", it's "I demand that it happen".
CalBear (or another mod?) said that for example, "WI: Napoleon invades Japan?" is a poorly-written scenario, but not ASB per-se, poorly written doesn't equals gods/aliens, so it is still allowed to be put on the regular forum sections, as much criticism and ridicule as it may get.

Last edited:
As mentioned, just have the Inca or Aztecs modernise and join a global WW2-style conflict in which one operation involves attacking the "soft underbelly of Europe" which in this case is modern Spain. I feel it's very possible that either power would have reason to oppose Spain, given they'll likely have spent centuries surrounded by Spanish colonies created from weaker native states/tribes and have most frequently been allied with Spain's rivals like the Dutch or English who are more interested in trade than conquest. I've always loved the idea of an "American Hong Kong" in a port like Callao, where Spain/another European state has sovereignity so they can control a large portion of exports. If we imagine Spain holds Callao, then the Inca have plenty of reasons to take it back under some anti-colonial ideology (i.e. something Imperial Japan might expouse) and would have reason to join a European conflict. Similar situation with the Aztecs and a port like Veracruz.
alternate history != fantasy

Both the Aztecs & Inca collapse before either of them even remotely consider adopting transoceanic seafaring -- rendering OP's AHC moot.

The Aztecs, a foreign polity to Mesoamerica, had enemies on all sides by the time the Spanish arrived; it's no coincidence that hundreds of thousands of indigenous people flocked to the Spanish to burn Tenochtitlan to the ground.
The Inca have passed their climax and their overextension across the Andes was very clearly tearing the Empire apart, sans succession crisis & civil war.
The Aztecs had bad luck. It would have been amply possible for them to have survived and modernised, even if they wouldn't look very "Aztec" to us. A nation having lots of enemies doesn't mean much when they're the richest, most powerful, and best organised (beside maybe the Purepecha) force in the region. Their only real disadvantage is the ease at which a European-backed native rebellion might strip away the coast.

And while I agree that with Inca technology they were not likely to hold together a much larger empire than they did without suffering the effects of overextension, even if they never expanded much more they'd still be a great candidate for a modernising state assuming they can cope with the changes that being integrated into the global monetary economy as opposed to their traditional command economy entails.

The Aztecs had bad luck. It would have been amply possible for them to have survived and modernised, even if they wouldn't look very "Aztec" to us. A nation having lots of enemies doesn't mean much when they're the richest, most powerful, and best organised (beside maybe the Purepecha) force in the region. Their only real disadvantage is the ease at which a European-backed native rebellion might strip away the coast.
The problem even if Cortez fails the plagues will come and also mexico will kinda be screwed also with the drought of 1540

This is a ridiculous statement. The Aztecs didn't simply have "bad luck"; they were in a perpetual state of untenability. The "Empire" wasn't really an empire, but a collection of largely independent states. The Aztecs can theoretically survive longer, but to the point of "modernization" is frankly fantastical. A civil war between the Acohua and the Mexica could very easily tear the Empire apart -- and rivals like the Purepecha could defeat them in any case. The Aztecs were ironically quite weak and relied on terror and violence to keep their subjects in line. And when you harbor enough enemies and the people you rule are sick of your presence, a single slip or crisis can very very quickly crash the house of cards. It's no coincidence that when the Spanish arrived, they, with their native allies, were able to induce a collapse so easily. Gold, feathers, jaguar skins, jade... getting those was hard, and for many altepemeh, it was a nightmare to get those; and often the Aztecs punished rebel subjects by making them pay in exotic items, like quetzal feathers or white deer skins. It's also the situation of the altepetl system that easily manifested Cortez's coalition. And this is just geopolitics; the introduction of disease will completely reshape the region. Most rebellions actually took place because the local rulers had their own political agenda and ambitions and didn't want to be subjects to anyone. That's why most rebellions took place in the most distant provinces, next to enemy states, like Tlaxcallan; and they were mostly carried out during monarchic transitions in Tenochtitlan. And when the Triple Alliance starts to weaken, they are going to quickly jump ship.

At this point, it's just "What if the Triple Alliance survived", and in which case it'd be a landlock rump state.

It's the same discourse as geological PODs - making it about absolute possibility rather than at least decent plausibility tends to create discussions more concentrated on how to find the potential setup for the idea to work rather than discuss what in the idea itself does or does not work.
I mean, technically said 'alt D-Day' could happen, but if that is the best case made for the AHC, I wouldn't really call it doable.
But it's not really that implausible, either. I'll spot you the Aztecs, which would have had a hard time surviving even without Spanish contact, but I could see a Incan empire that manages to survive—becomes a middle-power on the level of Brazil or Mexico by the 20th century, and in an alternate WW2, sends an outfit to liberate Europe from some continental Habsburg Menace, as part of a larger New World invasion force along with the Confederation of New France and the Kingdom of Borealia, or whatever.

That may sound like a cop-out, but I'd dare say i it fits the prescribed scenario better than "rowdy diplomatic corps cause scene".

And it's at least trying—not shutting down the discussion with "well, it can't be done! Muh ASB!".