Your challenge is to have there be an empire based in Sub-Saharan Africa and ruled by sub-Saharan Africans with at least some territory in Europe.

Gabingston

Kicked
A wanked Ethiopian Empire that conquers Egypt and expands into the Eastern Mediterranean, taking Crete and some other Greek islands.

A wanked Ethiopian Empire that conquers Egypt and expands into the Eastern Mediterranean, taking Crete and some other Greek islands.
What time period are you talking about? Usually those areas are under the control of a very powerful empires with access to very large armies and fleets. Plus they’d have to get through the modern Sudan just to get to Egypt let alone Europe.

This feels a bit impossible given that geography is working against this hypothetical empire. Not even considering the many powerful states that dominated the Mediterranean throughout the ages that would not take kindly to an incursion by the Ethiopians.

Last edited:
What time period are you talking about? Usually those areas are under the control of a very powerful empires with access to very large armies and fleets. Plus they’d have to get through the modern Sudan just to get to Egypt let alone Europe.

This feels a bit impossible given that geography is working against this hypothetical empire. Not even considering the many powerful states that dominated the Mediterranean throughout the ages that would not take kindly to an incursion by the Ethiopians.
That's why we are in a forum called "alternate history"

You could shorten the distances. Nubia managed to take over Egypt IOTL, so maybe a Nubian-controlled Egypt could go a bit further and nab some Greek islands.

You could shorten the distances. Nubia managed to take over Egypt IOTL, so maybe a Nubian-controlled Egypt could go a bit further and nab some Greek islands.
Would the Nubians really be called Sub-Saharan, though? I'm pretty sure they're not south of the desert, just east

Anyway, I imagine Mali, if it had managed to setup an empire with serious power projection would have had a decent shot at having puppets of some form in Iberia or the Medditeranean, albiet there's not much of a logical motive for them to do so.

As @Pen said do they count?

Plus it still doesn’t account for the issue of Egypt. Which either A) was previously owned by someone who wants it back B) Egypt being one the menu for another nearby power or C) the local Egyptians not wanting to be ruled by Nubians forever.

Also there’s the Greeks/whoever rules Greece/someone who has interests in the area who’ll obviously object to this invasion. Who’d have the home field advantage as well as far more experience in naval warfare than Nubia.

Last edited:
Anyway, I imagine Mali, if it had managed to setup an empire with serious power projection would have had a decent shot at having puppets of some form in Iberia or the Medditeranean, albiet there's not much of a logical motive for them to do so.
Won’t the Sahara be in the way? And by the time they mali are around it would be a bit hard to control any part of Iberia.

If Egypt got conquered by the Nubians, I fail to see why it couldn't get conquered by Ethiopians. There have been empires in the area for a long time, and large empires like the Romans, Byzantines, and the various caliphates could be butterflied away.

They ruled whats now morocco iirc, so they’re not from sun Sahara if I’m getting my geography right.
True but they did extent their power to iberia as to the east and south close to Ghana and north to iberia
So it's possible for a wanked ghana or mali to conquer the modern day Western Sahara morroco and maybe the very south of iberia

Why is ASB ethiopians conquering Egypt and then Crete ?
Because that would require them to conquer two whole ass other countries just to get to Europe. Then defeat the local powers that have experience with naval warfare plus the home field advantage against a nation who’s power base is thousands of miles away. And at various times the people who ruled Egypt also ruled Greece. So that wouldn’t be easy at all. So somehow Ethiopia needs to be wanked so it can conquer Nubia and Egypt as well as defeat the local Greeks or whoever and take the islands. That’s borderline asb at best.

True but they did extent their power to iberia as to the east and south close to Ghana and north to iberia
So it's possible for a wanked ghana or mali to conquer the modern day Western Sahara morroco and maybe the very south of iberia
Maybe. But that would require some sort of POD to make them even more powerful whole Iberia is weaker than iotl.

If Egypt got conquered by the Nubians, I fail to see why it couldn't get conquered by Ethiopians. There have been empires in the area for a long time, and large empires like the Romans, Byzantines, and the various caliphates could be butterflied away.
The first kingdom to my recollection in the area was Dʿmt which was founded in the which had some sabean influences due to their in part control of the red sea and the kingdom fell in the 5th century bc
So assuming they start going north in 8th century bc they run to the problem that is nubia/ egypt
Even if they conquered it they now have to deal with assyria ....

And internal strife so heck expanding to egpypt would be hard let alone go build a navy to conquer some mediterranean island not when assyria is right there

Because Ethiopia is farther away with a hostile Nubia between them. Any Ethiopian conquest would be difficult to achieve and hard to hold at best. And sure, you could butterfly away the Romans or Abbasids or whoever but that doesn’t guarantee someone wouldn’t fill void and block any Ethiopian invasions as well.