AHC: a second Iberian Union

So, the challenge here is to have Spain and Portugal unite politically, with a PoD after 1640.
Bonus points if you manage to create a republican Iberian Union.

This will probably need Spain to have fractured for a long period first.

Weren't there plans after the Glorious Revolution to name either Fernando II of Portugal as king of Spain or his son - Augusto, duque de Coimbra(?) - and marry Augusto to Isabel II's eldest daughter? Another option would be Carlos II of Spain marries the Princess of Beira (la Sempre Noiva) - as was proposed. These are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Isabel II of Spain could marry Pedro V of Portugal or any of his brothers. Or maybe Isabel II dies and is succeeded by her younger sister, and she could marry one of the Portuguese princes (who presumably don't die of illness TTL). A child by them would be monarch of both countries.

IIRC this was proposed by some Portuguese politicians of the era but nothing more was done with the proposal.

Isabel II of Spain could marry Pedro V of Portugal or any of his brothers. Or maybe Isabel II dies and is succeeded by her younger sister, and she could marry one of the Portuguese princes (who presumably don't die of illness TTL). A child by them would be monarch of both countries.

IIRC this was proposed by some Portuguese politicians of the era but nothing more was done with the proposal.

The Coburg boys were a bit younger than Isabel/Luisa Fernanda. And France was against a Coburg match - whether it was Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary or presumably a Portuguese nephew of his - since it would've meant that British influence is on the upswing in Iberia while French influence goes down. A match between Caterina of Bragança and D. Juan Jose that produces surviving issue would be fun to see. Or maybe somehow (though it borders on ASB), D. Pedro Gabriel (grandson of Carlos III and Maria I) ends up as King Pedro V of Portugal and Spain - @Urbanus VII had a TL where D. Joao VI dies before he begets any kids (an OTL event - but he survived), so Pedro is in line for the Portuguese throne already. (I think he gets married to the OTL queen of the French, Maria Amelia of Naples)

The French army invades all of Potugal and Joseph remains in power is the most likeñy scenario. Napoleon would need to win though which is a huge butterfly

Iberian nationalism was a thing in the 19th century. Spanish liberals wanted an Iberian Union with the Braganzas at the top, so you'd have to make them stronger and possibly get rid of Isabella. Maybe they lose the first Carlist war and when they do return, they do so as Braganza loyalists. You'd have to do it before nationalism is regionalized though (1860's at the latest, I'd say), and you'd have to convince both France and Britain to allow it to happen, which isn't easy. Also you'd have to convince the Braganzas to actually go for it, since they viewed this whole Iberian nationalism thing with suspicion, even though it directly benefited them.

Lusitania

Donor
Yes this time the union would be with Portuguese royalty and capital in Lisbon. Portuguese never go for otherway. Even Napoleon could not make it work. Heck he could not even control SpAin never mind all of Iberian peninsula

Bumping.
Could a surviving First Spanish Republic from the 1870's on in somehow lead to a republican Iberian Union if Portugal still throws its king out?
I hear that some top officials in the First Republic's government were iberistas.

Bumping.
Could a surviving First Spanish Republic from the 1870's on in somehow lead to a republican Iberian Union if Portugal still throws its king out?
I hear that some top officials in the First Republic's government were iberistas.
The first republic lasted too long for what it was. It is impossible for it to last longer unless you change Spanish republicanism in the XIX century as a whole.
The first republic is the most chaotic and kafkaesque period in Spanish history and that's saying something