AHC: A more complex culture emerges in pre-roman England

A book about Arthurian England has given me an idea for what if a more complex (and not advanced as I wrote before so as not to be colonialist) culture (i'm picturing mesoamerican for some reason) can emerge from either the Celtic culture or even pre-celtic bronze or even chalcolithic cultures, like the Beaker Culture.

Last edited:
Phoenician tin traders settle in Cornwall during the Bronze Age gradually merging with the local population and a hybrid society emerges later assimilating incoming Celtic tribes during the Iron Age and spreading over Southern Britain. They drive off Caesar but are later crushed by a Rome that won't stand for there being any rivals in Europe. While civilised they never reach the level of Carthage or Rome and no British town exceeds a population of 10,000. Their military are a mix of militia and merchant ships pressed into service at need, all organised and planned for but nowhere near the standards of Rome.

Deleted member 145893

There are sites on Mainland, Orkney and throughout the islands that are thought to be from between 3200 to 2200 BC, for example Maes Howe. This is a remarkable feat of engineering - it is built in such a way that the entrance passage is in perfect alignment with the setting winter solstice sun so for a few days either side of the winter solstice the light of the setting sun is channelled through the narrow passage way and illuminates the dark interior. This was, like the pyramids of Egypt and the tombs of Sillustani in Peru, a burial chamber and whilst similar structures appear all over Scotland for some reason this design and construction never left Orkney.

We often think of pre-civilised Britons as being club wielding womanising thugs, but actually Neolithic society in Britain seems to have been reasonably advanced considering the lack of tools take for instance Skara Brae another Neolithic site in Orkney - radiocarbon dating suggests that this was a thriving village at the time Maes Howe was being built.

It is also worth noting that the climate was different back then - there is evidence to suggest that they were able to grow cereal crops - today the islands are mainly grass land suitable for livestock grazing...

So if you are thinking about an ATL for an advance civilisation then perhaps start with the Orcadians (a bit like the mythological Atlantis)

A good start is to avoid the Bronze Age Collapse of the Kingdom of Hatti and likewise, avoid what seems to be some sort turmoil in Northern Europe in the Late Bronze Age. The Tollense Battle Site, a drop in estimated population across Europe and so forth, point in my view that some sort of collapse was occurring in Europe during the Later Late Bronze Age. I suspect, that the Iron Age Celtic peoples of Europe, were the heirs of this collapse.

Regardless, my opinion is that these peoples constituted a fairly advanced culture. Sources would suggest that the Celtic peoples of all the lands they resided constituted a nobility, a sort of caste system, a complex worldview, knowledge of writing (yet unwilling to use it in many areas; some Celtic peoples used a Celtic version of Aramaic), kings, local production of jewelry, extensive and widespread mining and a series of customs that the Greeks found honorable. I take the Greek historians and authors' point seriously, that to the Greeks of the Classical era, the Celts resembled their Bronze Age predecessors. Epic in style, battle and customs, aristocratic, bold, overly flamboyant and yet a bit savage, averse to writing and not progressive. If I am not mistaken, many of the Greek writers especially later, found the Celts to be icons, whose men were of ideal shape, appearance and so forth and hence, wished the Greeks to be them. That they had lost their ancient vigor of the Bronze Age, and they needed to re-learn this magnificence from the Celts or the Scythians.

Therefore, understanding this, I would say that the Celts were advanced, just as so as the Greeks. Yet their advanced manners were more in the mold of Bronze Age Europe, different from the governmental and ideological changes of the Aegean. Their societies were conquered by the Roman Republic, not due to Rome having some technological or superior advantage, but due to its logistical strength, the success of various generals, large conscription pool and an expansion driven policy by Rome that the Celtic peoples were seemingly less atune to.

Okay, when I picture an advanced british culture, I keep picturing the Thames River and a potential agricultural package. What's the possibility of a culture emerging there and what sort of crops we looking at?

A book about Arthurian England has given me an idea for what if a more advanced culture (i'm picturing mesoamerican for some reason) can emerge from either the Celtic culture or even pre-celtic bronze or even chalcolithic cultures, like the Beaker Culture.
Don't refer to cultures as "advanced" on "unadvanced". It's quite derogatory, and perpetuates an extremely harmful colonialist worldview.

Crops are easy, Wheat, Barley, Oats and Root Vegetables just the same as OTL. Domestic animals are the same as well, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and a few horses for show. The Thames is a good spot for trading between inland southern Britain and Europe, which is why the Romans built London there, so it's as likely a place as any other for a true town to develop and any civilisation in Britain would be built on trade of some sort with Europe. Traders bring ideas from outside so it should be at least comparable to Mediterranean port city state in technology if not in scale. (Britain doesn't have the population or wealth for more).

Don't refer to cultures as "advanced" on "unadvanced". It's quite derogatory, and perpetuates an extremely harmful colonialist worldview.
What would you use then, technologically developed? In the end it means the same thing. The stronger society whether technologically, structurally, culturally or militarily dominates the weaker society. That's the way it's been throughout history all over the world.